The Bright Side of Back-to-School
Summer is over. There I said it. Now that we’ve gotten past that, it’s time to embrace the fact that school is back in session or will be soon.
As I revealed in my last post, even teachers are somewhat reluctant when the end of August rolls around. But one of the most exciting things about our line of work is that we have an annual “reset” button. So do our students.
Each new school year gives teachers and students the chance to “reinvent” themselves. By choosing a new look, a goal, or a changed attitude, back-to-school can be the first step towards a better version of ourselves. With the spirit of optimism in mind, I’ve compiled a list of other great things about the beginning of a new school year:
- Reuniting with friends you haven’t seen since the beginning of summer.
- Meeting new people.
- New fall wardrobes.
- Football season is underway. The Ravens looked great in Thursday night’s game. Some roster changes that have been made recently may help us move past some of last year’s blunders by bringing in fresh blood. (This is true no matter which team you follow!)
- Popular TV programs will start new seasons, while other shows will be piloted. I, for one, am looking forward to Elementary, a show about a modern-day Sherlock Holmes. Let’s not forget that we’re all invited to a Downton Abbey wedding in January.
- Read my arms and legs: no more mosquito bites!
- Fall comfort foods, like crisp apples, roasted butternut squash, and, of course, pumpkin everything, will be making their way onto our tables soon.
- Attendance becomes more regular for parishioners at my church, many of whom have been away on vacation. Like many parishes, we only have one Sunday mass in the summer. It’s nice to see the church full and to have a variety of mass times to accommodate the needs of a variety of families.
I’d love to hear what you love about Fall and some more of the upsides of the start to a new school year. I wish all the teachers and students out there a safe, successful, blessed 2012-2013!
8/27/2012 8:52:09 AM
By Robyn Barberry