• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
Catholic Review

Catholic Review

Inspiring the Archdiocese of Baltimore

Menu
  • Home
  • News
        • Local News
        • World News
        • Vatican News
        • Obituaries
        • Featured Video
        • En Español
        • Sports News
        • Official Clergy Assignments
        • Schools News
  • Commentary
        • Contributors
          • Question Corner
          • George Weigel
          • Elizabeth Scalia
          • Michael R. Heinlein
          • Effie Caldarola
          • Guest Commentary
        • CR Columnists
          • Archbishop William E. Lori
          • Rita Buettner
          • Christopher Gunty
          • George Matysek Jr.
          • Mark Viviano
          • Father Joseph Breighner
          • Father Collin Poston
          • Amen Columns
  • Entertainment
        • Events
        • Movie & Television Reviews
        • Arts & Culture
        • Books
        • Recipes
        • CR Kids
  • About Us
        • Contact Us
        • Our History
        • Meet Our Staff
        • Photos to own
        • Shop
        • CR Media platforms
        • Electronic Edition
        • Subscribe
  • Advertising
  • Kids
  • News Tips
  • Radio/Podcasts
        • Catholic Review Radio
        • Protagonistas de Fe
        • In God’s Image
        • “In Charity and Truth” with Archbishop William E. Lori
  • Subscribe

Archbishop Lori issues dispensation for Mass attendance

March 13, 2020
By Catholic Review Staff
Filed Under: Coronavirus, Local News, News

Archbishop William E. Lori announced March 13 that he has dispensed all members of the faithful of the Archdiocese of Baltimore from the obligation to attend Sunday Mass, including those parishioners who are ill, or suspect they are ill with a contagious illness, or who are concerned they may become ill by attending Mass.

Masses will continue to be offered at parishes in the Archdiocese of Baltimore, but the archbishop is limiting attendance at those Masses to 250. The restriction follows the order of Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan, who on March 12 announced that public gatherings would be restricted to 250. All parish-sponsored, regardless of location, should similarly be limited to no more than 250 people, the archdiocese said.

Individual parishes will communicate with their parishioners what their plans are for complying with the governor’s order.

The Archdiocese of Baltimore previously announced that all archdiocesan schools will be closed March 16-27 and that all school-sponsored activities be cancelled during that same time frame.

For more information, updates, resources and more, visit www.archbalt.org/coronavirus.

Print Print

Primary Sidebar

Catholic Review Staff

Click here to view all posts from this author

For the latest news delivered twice a week via email or text message, sign up to receive our free enewsletter.

| MOST POPULAR |

  • New associate eastern vicar appointed to succeed Monsignor O’Connor
  • Josephites elect new superior general
  • Hispanic leaders learn to build a stronger ministry together
  • San Antonio priest laicized, excommunicated after calling Popes Francis and Leo ‘usurpers’
  • Sacred music must be ‘dignified,’ reflecting the mystery being celebrated, pope says

| Latest Local News |

Catholic schools are building for the future

New associate eastern vicar appointed to succeed Monsignor O’Connor

Josephites elect new superior general

Hispanic leaders learn to build a stronger ministry together

Radio Interview: An American Martyr – The Legacy of Blessed Stanley Rother

| Latest World News |

Pope Leo meets Lebanese president; Vatican concerned over border deal implementation

‘Prayer is our number one weapon’ against Russian aggression, says papal nuncio to Ukraine

Conversion of heart needed to end wars, heal Earth, pope says

Colombia: Bogotá archdiocese launches ‘spiritual first aid’ mission to quake-hit cities

Come to the Water: Eucharist boat procession along the Bayou Teche celebrates faith, history

| Catholic Review Radio |

Footer

Our Vision

Real Life. Real Faith. 

Catholic Review Media communicates the Gospel and its impact on people’s lives in the Archdiocese of Baltimore and beyond.

Our Mission

Catholic Review Media provides intergenerational communications that inform, teach, inspire and engage Catholics and all of good will in the mission of Christ through diverse forms of media.

Contact

Catholic Review
320 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
443-524-3150
mail@CatholicReview.org

 

Social Media

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent

  • Addiction doesn’t have to be the final word
  • Catholic schools are building for the future
  • Stories that tell the U.S. Catholic story
  • Pope Leo meets Lebanese president; Vatican concerned over border deal implementation
  • ‘Prayer is our number one weapon’ against Russian aggression, says papal nuncio to Ukraine
  • Conversion of heart needed to end wars, heal Earth, pope says
  • New associate eastern vicar appointed to succeed Monsignor O’Connor
  • Colombia: Bogotá archdiocese launches ‘spiritual first aid’ mission to quake-hit cities
  • Come to the Water: Eucharist boat procession along the Bayou Teche celebrates faith, history

Search

Membership

Catholic Media Assocation

Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association

The Associated Church Press

© 2026 CATHOLIC REVIEW MEDIA, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED