• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
Catholic Review

Catholic Review

Inspiring the Archdiocese of Baltimore

Menu
  • Home
  • News
        • Local News
        • World News
        • Vatican News
        • Obituaries
        • Featured Video
        • En Español
        • Sports News
        • Official Clergy Assignments
        • Schools News
  • Commentary
        • Contributors
          • Question Corner
          • George Weigel
          • Elizabeth Scalia
          • Michael R. Heinlein
          • Effie Caldarola
          • Guest Commentary
        • CR Columnists
          • Archbishop William E. Lori
          • Rita Buettner
          • Christopher Gunty
          • George Matysek Jr.
          • Mark Viviano
          • Father Joseph Breighner
          • Father Collin Poston
          • Amen Columns
  • Entertainment
        • Events
        • Movie & Television Reviews
        • Arts & Culture
        • Books
        • Recipes
        • CR Kids
  • About Us
        • Contact Us
        • Our History
        • Meet Our Staff
        • Photos to own
        • Shop
        • CR Media platforms
        • Electronic Edition
        • Subscribe
  • Advertising
  • Kids
  • News Tips
  • Radio/Podcasts
        • Catholic Review Radio
        • Protagonistas de Fe
        • In God’s Image
        • “In Charity and Truth” with Archbishop William E. Lori
  • Subscribe
Pro-life activist Paul Vaughn is pictured in an undated photo with his wife, Bethany. Paul Vaughn of Centerville, Tenn., one of the 23 pro-life activists pardoned by President Donald Trump in 2025 for violating the federal Freedom of Access to Clinic Entrances Act, or FACE Act, has reached a settlement with the federal government. (OSV News photo/courtesy Thomas Moore Society)

DOJ settles with pardoned pro-life activist over FACE Act prosecution; more may follow

July 29, 2026
By Kurt Jensen
OSV News
Filed Under: Feature, News, Respect Life, World News

(OSV News) — One of the 23 pro-life activists pardoned by President Donald Trump in 2025 for violating the federal Freedom of Access to Clinic Entrances Act, or FACE Act, has reached a settlement with the federal government.

Paul Vaughn, of Centerville, Tennessee, an evangelical Christian, had been convicted for his participation in an abortion clinic blockade in Mount Juliet, Tennessee, in March 2021. In court, federal prosecutors said Vaughn and another activist stalled Mount Juliet police with offers of negotiations as a delay tactic.

“Our family is thankful for the journey and trials God has seen us through,” Vaughn said in an email to OSV News. “We mourn for the state of our nation where stories like this are becoming common, but we are thankful for the clarity this brings as we assess the character of our nation and areas of ministry opportunities.”

Vaughn said the amount of the settlement, for both the prosecution and a predawn raid by FBI agents at Vaughn’s house, was seven figures, which will be distributed among Vaughn, his wife, Bethany, and seven of his children who were at home at the time FBI agents raided their house.

More settlements through the Department of Justice, possibly for all the other 22, are expected to follow in the coming months.

“We are working with other clients but not at liberty to discuss the details,” Katie Clancy, communications director for the Thomas More Society, the Chicago-based religious liberty firm that brought the case, told OSV News July 28.

Vaughn and five others were convicted in January 2024 for their role in the Mount Juliet abortion clinic blockade. At the time of the Trump pardon, the father of 11 had completed six months of house arrest and had begun three years of supervised release.

Trump’s pardons also marked the end of a legal saga that began in 2022 after the U.S. Supreme Court overturned its 1973 Roe v. Wade decision, returning the matter of restricting or regulating abortion to the legislative branch. That year, a DOJ task force asked federal attorneys to charge activists who blockaded abortion clinics or otherwise interfered with clinic access with violating the FACE Act, even if they had already been previously convicted for trespassing at the clinics.

This led to three major prosecutions, including the one involving the Mount Juliet clinic. The best-known of the other two involved a 2020 abortion clinic blockade in Washington organized under the auspices of a group called Progressive Anti-Abortion Uprising, which included Catholics, evangelicals and atheists. In 2023, Lauren Handy of Alexandria, Virginia, a Catholic who led the effort, received the longest prison sentence of any of the FACE Act defendants: 57 months. She had been incarcerated in Florida when pardoned.

The final DOJ prosecution ended in August 2024 when seven activists, all evangelicals, were convicted for obstructing the entrance to an abortion clinic in Sterling Heights, Michigan, in 2020.

The Thomas More Society declared in a statement that the government’s settlement with Vaughn affirms the DOJ and FBI under the Biden administration engaged in an abuse of power.

“This family did nothing wrong. Paul prayed and sang. He bore witness to his faith and for that, the full weight of the federal government was brought crashing down on his front door before the sun rose,” Steve Crampton, senior counsel at Thomas More Society, said in a statement.

Crampton’s statement called the settlement “a warning and a precedent. The weaponization of federal law enforcement against pro-lifers, against people of faith, against those who dare to stand for the unborn — that era is over.”

The day after Trump’s pardon of the 23 pro-life activists, the DOJ announced the FACE Act would only be applied “in extraordinary circumstances, or in cases presenting significant aggravating factors, such as death, serious bodily harm, or serious property damage.”

read more respect life

Pro-life groups urge follow through from Blanche on policy permitting mifepristone by mail

Clarksville parishioners named Knights of Columbus International Family of the Year

Blanche signals potential restrictions on mifepristone by mail coming from Trump administration

Delores ‘Dee’ Silverman, co-founder of Pregnancy Center North, dies at 85

Court shields women religious from New York assisted suicide law

US bishops call for nationwide prayer and action amid rising abortion rate

Copyright © 2026 OSV News

Print Print

Primary Sidebar

Kurt Jensen

Click here to view all posts from this author

For the latest news delivered twice a week via email or text message, sign up to receive our free enewsletter.

| MOST POPULAR |

  • Archbishop William E. Lori announces appointments, including pastor, special ministry and deacons
  • Archdiocese of Baltimore regroups parishes into eight regions
  • Fire damages building used for youth activities at St. Joseph, Fullerton
  • Pope Leo night at White Sox baseball park maxes out stadium capacity
  • Sainthood cause takes step forward for Rhoda Wise, an Ohio housewife, mystic and stigmatist

| Latest Local News |

Radio Interview: An American Martyr – The Legacy of Blessed Stanley Rother

Values, service highlight nursing career spanning 59 years

Fire damages building used for youth activities at St. Joseph, Fullerton

Redemptorists’ Baltimore Province will become part of new North American province

Archdiocese of Baltimore regroups parishes into eight regions

| Latest World News |

Pope calls for end to West Bank violence, pursuit of two-state solution

Pope ‘saddened’ by devastation in Indonesia following earthquake

True beauty found in enduring love, which ‘ennobles and lifts us up,’ pope says on feast of Assumption

World cannot remain indifferent to suffering of migrant children, pope says

Vatican City mints new coins featuring face of Pope Leo XIV

| Catholic Review Radio |

Footer

Our Vision

Real Life. Real Faith. 

Catholic Review Media communicates the Gospel and its impact on people’s lives in the Archdiocese of Baltimore and beyond.

Our Mission

Catholic Review Media provides intergenerational communications that inform, teach, inspire and engage Catholics and all of good will in the mission of Christ through diverse forms of media.

Contact

Catholic Review
320 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
443-524-3150
mail@CatholicReview.org

 

Social Media

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent

  • Question Corner: What is the Catholic Church’s current stance on Freemasonry?
  • Pope calls for end to West Bank violence, pursuit of two-state solution
  • Pope ‘saddened’ by devastation in Indonesia following earthquake
  • Radio Interview: An American Martyr – The Legacy of Blessed Stanley Rother
  • Movie Review: ‘The End of Oak Street’
  • Movie Review: ‘American Martyr: The Stanley Rother Story’
  • True beauty found in enduring love, which ‘ennobles and lifts us up,’ pope says on feast of Assumption
  • Values, service highlight nursing career spanning 59 years
  • World cannot remain indifferent to suffering of migrant children, pope says

Search

Membership

Catholic Media Assocation

Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association

The Associated Church Press

© 2026 CATHOLIC REVIEW MEDIA, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED