• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
Catholic Review

Catholic Review

Inspiring the Archdiocese of Baltimore

Menu
  • Home
  • News
        • Local News
        • World News
        • Vatican News
        • Obituaries
        • Featured Video
        • En Español
        • Sports News
        • Official Clergy Assignments
        • Schools News
  • Commentary
        • Contributors
          • Question Corner
          • George Weigel
          • Elizabeth Scalia
          • Michael R. Heinlein
          • Effie Caldarola
          • Guest Commentary
        • CR Columnists
          • Archbishop William E. Lori
          • Rita Buettner
          • Christopher Gunty
          • George Matysek Jr.
          • Mark Viviano
          • Father Joseph Breighner
          • Father Collin Poston
          • Amen Columns
  • Entertainment
        • Events
        • Movie & Television Reviews
        • Arts & Culture
        • Books
        • Recipes
        • CR for Kids
  • About Us
        • Contact Us
        • Our History
        • Meet Our Staff
        • Photos to own
        • Shop
        • CR Media platforms
        • Electronic Edition
        • Subscribe
  • Advertising
  • Shop
        • Purchase Photos
        • Books/CDs/Prayer Cards
        • Magazine Subscriptions
        • Archdiocesan Directory
  • Radio/Podcasts
        • Catholic Review Radio
        • Protagonistas de Fe
        • In God’s Image
  • News Tips
  • Subscribe

Order ‘saddened’ by Father Corapi’s decision to leave priesthood

June 22, 2011
By Mark Pattison
Catholic News Service
Filed Under: News, World News

WASHINGTON (CNS) — The Society of Our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity said it was “saddened” that Father John Corapi, one of the most visible members of its order, has decided to leave the order and the priesthood.

Father Corapi, 64, declared June 17 in a YouTube video and a blog posting on one of his websites, that he was leaving because he could not get a “fair hearing” on misconduct allegations that were lodged against him in March and which included what the priest said were sexual abuse charges.

The order, commonly referred to as SOLT, was in the midst of investigating the allegations when Father Corapi made his announcement. “Although the investigation was in progress, the SOLT had not arrived at any conclusion as to the credibility of the allegations under investigation,” said the statement, issued June 20 by Father Gerry Sheehan, the order’s regional priest-servant and Father Corapi’s superior.

Father Sheehan said the order’s last communication with Father Corapi took the form of a June 3 letter from him “indicating that, because of the physical, emotional and spiritual distress he has endured over the past few years, he could no longer continue to function as a priest or a member of the SOLT.”

When Father Corapi made his public announcement he was definitely leaving the priesthood, “we heard it just like everyone else did, from YouTube,” Father Sheehan told Catholic News Service June 20 before the order released his statement. “We’re as surprised as everyone else is.”

The allegations first surfaced March 16, according to Father Sheehan’s statement, when the order and Bishop William M. Mulvey of Corpus Christi, Texas, the diocese where the society is based, received a letter from a woman alleging “conduct not in concert with the priestly state or his promises as a member of a society of apostolic life.” Father Corapi was suspended until an investigation into the charges could be completed.

Father Corapi had been highly visible for several years as a speaker and preacher, including a program on the Eternal Word Television Network. EWTN had taken his show off its schedule shortly after his suspension, saying it would not knowingly put on the air a priest whose faculties had been suspended.

The National Catholic Register, which is published by EWTN, reported June 19 that a complicating factor in the investigation was a breach-of-contract lawsuit filed by Father Corapi against his presumed accuser, forbidding her to reveal details of her tenure at Santa Cruz Ministries, the company owned by the priest that sells his CDs, DVDs and books.

“The SOLT is deeply saddened that Father Corapi is suffering distress. The SOLT is further saddened by Father Corapi’s response to these allegations. The SOLT will do all within its power to assist Father Corapi if he desires to seek a dispensation from his rights and obligations as a priest and as a professed member of the SOLT,” Father Sheehan’s statement said. “We request your prayers and the intercession of the Blessed Mother for the healing of Father Corapi and for any who have been negatively affected by Father Corapi’s decision to end his ministry as a priest and a member of the SOLT.”

In his blog posting, Father Corapi said, “For 20 years I did my best to guard and feed the sheep. Now, based on a totally unsubstantiated, undocumented allegation from a demonstrably troubled person I was thrown out like yesterday’s garbage. I accept that. Perhaps I deserve that.”

Father Corapi had complained from the outset, and he reiterated June 17, that the process used to investigate the allegations means “you are for all practical purposes assumed guilty until you can prove you are innocent.”

He said he would continue his radio work, but his website indicated his last radiocasts were only online, and the most recent of those were in mid-April, before Easter.

“Father Corapi had not been determined guilty of any canonical or civil crimes. If the allegations had been found to be credible, the proper canonical due process would have been offered to Father Corapi, including his right to defense, to know his accuser and the complaint lodged, and a fair canonical trial with the right of recourse to the Holy See,” Father Sheehan said.

It was not immediately clear whether the investigation would continue.

“They can’t prove I’m guilty of the things alleged because I’m not, and they can’t prove I’m innocent because that is simply illogical and impossible,” Father Corapi said in his statement.

“I accept moving on, but I am not ready to be altogether extinguished just yet.”

Father Corapi’s Facebook page, which has nearly 53,000 followers, was filled with posts reacting to his announcement, with many people supporting him and denouncing the allegations and the church, although some lamented his decision to leave the priesthood and others suggested caution in interpreting the events that led to his decision to leave the priesthood.

Santa Cruz Ministries was still offering a half-off discount on his CDs, DVDs and books in recognition of the 20th anniversary of his ordination. One of Father Corapi’s attorneys said in March the business — which was not under church control — would continue, with proceeds helping pay attorney fees. The business has its headquarters in Kalispell, Mont., where Father Corapi has a residence, although he did not have priestly faculties in the Diocese of Helena, Mont.

Copyright © 2011 Catholic News Service/U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops

Print Print

Primary Sidebar

Mark Pattison

Click here to view all posts from this author

For the latest news delivered twice a week via email or text message, sign up to receive our free enewsletter.

| MOST POPULAR |

  • Archdiocese of Baltimore files new proposed plan for Chapter 11 reorganization
  • Archbishop Lori will ordain 12 transitional deacons May 16
  • Pope Leo XIV’s encyclical on artificial intelligence is coming: Here’s what he has said on AI so far
  • Brazilian nun drowns while trying to save fellow sister in Sicily
  • Can intelligent extraterrestrial life exist? Here’s what Catholic thinkers have to say

| Latest Local News |

Archbishop Lori ordains 12 transitional deacons

Radio Interview: Saying yes to God’s plan

Archdiocese of Baltimore names teachers of the year

Archbishop Lori recognized with new award

Archdiocese of Baltimore files new proposed plan for Chapter 11 reorganization

| Latest World News |

Pope Leo XIV thanks Catholic Extension Society for supporting poor US dioceses

Pope Leo XIV to publish encyclical on artificial intelligence May 25

America 250 occasion to reflect on equality as a God-given right, Bishop Barron says

Pope approves creation of interdicasterial commission on AI

Eudist sisters face possible eviction with prayer, trust in God — and an attorney

| Catholic Review Radio |

Footer

Our Vision

Real Life. Real Faith. 

Catholic Review Media communicates the Gospel and its impact on people’s lives in the Archdiocese of Baltimore and beyond.

Our Mission

Catholic Review Media provides intergenerational communications that inform, teach, inspire and engage Catholics and all of good will in the mission of Christ through diverse forms of media.

Contact

Catholic Review
320 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
443-524-3150
mail@CatholicReview.org

 

Social Media

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent

  • I’m OK, you’re OK…well we’re mostly OK (on springtime transitions)
  • Pope Leo XIV thanks Catholic Extension Society for supporting poor US dioceses
  • Question Corner: Are parish priests allowed to do confirmations?
  • Archbishop Lori ordains 12 transitional deacons
  • Radio Interview: Saying yes to God’s plan
  • Archdiocese of Baltimore names teachers of the year
  • Archbishop Lori recognized with new award
  • Movie Review: ‘Obsession’
  • Pope Leo XIV to publish encyclical on artificial intelligence May 25

Search

Membership

Catholic Media Assocation

Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association

The Associated Church Press

© 2026 CATHOLIC REVIEW MEDIA, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED