• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
Catholic Review

Catholic Review

Inspiring the Archdiocese of Baltimore

Menu
  • Home
  • News
        • Local News
        • World News
        • Vatican News
        • Obituaries
        • Featured Video
        • En Español
        • Sports News
        • Official Clergy Assignments
        • Schools News
  • Commentary
        • Contributors
          • Question Corner
          • George Weigel
          • Elizabeth Scalia
          • Michael R. Heinlein
          • Effie Caldarola
          • Guest Commentary
        • CR Columnists
          • Archbishop William E. Lori
          • Rita Buettner
          • Christopher Gunty
          • George Matysek Jr.
          • Mark Viviano
          • Father Joseph Breighner
          • Father Collin Poston
          • Amen Columns
  • Entertainment
        • Events
        • Movie & Television Reviews
        • Arts & Culture
        • Books
        • Recipes
        • CR Kids
  • About Us
        • Contact Us
        • Our History
        • Meet Our Staff
        • Photos to own
        • Shop
        • CR Media platforms
        • Electronic Edition
        • Subscribe
  • Advertising
  • Kids
  • News Tips
  • Radio/Podcasts
        • Catholic Review Radio
        • Protagonistas de Fe
        • In God’s Image
        • “In Charity and Truth” with Archbishop William E. Lori
  • Subscribe
An image of St. John Paul, II, and bottles of holy water sit on a lamp post outside the offices of Planned Parenthood on N. Howard Street in Baltimore just inches from Light Rail. (Kevin J. Parks/CR Staff)

Approximately 50 Planned Parenthood clinics closed in 2025, report says

December 18, 2025
By Kate Scanlon
OSV News
Filed Under: News, Respect Life, World News

WASHINGTON (OSV News) — Approximately 50 Planned Parenthood clinics closed in 2025 as the group lost its ability to bill Medicaid, according to a report by the nation’s largest abortion provider.

On Dec. 12, a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 1st Circuit ruled that Planned Parenthood is unlikely to succeed in its claims that being stripped of its Medicaid funds is unconstitutional, overturning a lower court’s order that had temporarily blocked a provision of President Donald Trump’s One Big Beautiful Bill Act, legislation that enacted key items of his legislative agenda on issues including taxes and immigration. That law included a provision eliminating funds to health providers who also perform abortions — but just for one year.

The entrance of Planned Parenthood is seen on N. Howard Street in Baltimore. (Kevin J. Parks/CR Staff)

Although it was not named in the provision, Planned Parenthood, the nation’s largest abortion provider, sued in response to the provision stripping funds from abortion providers, arguing the parameters for ending these funds effectively singled it out.

Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America, which works to elect pro-life candidates to public office, ran a tracker on its website of Planned Parenthood clinic closures. It identified 44 as of Dec. 17.

Kelsey Pritchard, the group’s communications director, told OSV News Dec. 17, “Taxpayers should never have been forced to prop up a failing business model that prioritizes abortion, politics, and profits over women and children.”

“Planned Parenthood’s thin facade has been crumbling under growing scrutiny for substandard care — from botched abortions and improperly inserted IUDs to unsanitary conditions, including open sewage, as documented by The New York Times earlier this year,” she said.

A memo published by Planned Parenthood Nov. 12 said that since the beginning of 2025, “nearly 50 Planned Parenthood health centers have been forced to close following the loss of Title X funds and Medicaid reimbursements,” with 20 of those closures after July 4, when Trump signed the law containing the provision.

A spokesperson for Planned Parenthood did not immediately respond to a request for comment about whether those numbers were up to date as of Dec. 18.

In a November statement accompanying the memo, Alexis McGill Johnson, president and CEO of Planned Parenthood Federation of America, said, “Despite herculean efforts by Planned Parenthood health centers to keep care affordable, as well as public commitments by several states to help stabilize services, patients’ access to health care will worsen considerably over time due to the Trump administration’s actions.”

“The Trump administration and its Republican backers in Congress knew exactly what they were doing when they chose to ‘defund’ Planned Parenthood,” she said. “They are intentionally dismantling health care for patients most in need and pushing Planned Parenthood health centers further to the financial brink.”

McGill Johnson called the situation “unsustainable,” arguing that, “While Planned Parenthood will continue to be unwavering in our commitment to ensure everyone can get the care they need, no matter where they live or how much money they make, by ourselves we cannot solve for the failures of our country’s broken health care system and the cruel actions of anti-abortion lawmakers.”

But Pritchard argued, “Planned Parenthood’s health services have been rapidly declining.”

“Even as abortion numbers and taxpayer funding have skyrocketed, since 2013 total cancer screening and prevention services have dropped by 54%, including a 61% decline in breast exams and a 54% drop in pap tests. Prenatal services are down 63%, and contraception services have fallen 38%,” she said.

“As abortion businesses like Planned Parenthood close, women on Medicaid can find the care they need at community health centers, which outnumber Planned Parenthood facilities by at least 15 to 1 nationwide,” Pritchard continued. “This expansive network is further complemented by pregnancy resource centers that provide additional care and material support for women and families.”

The Catholic Church teaches that all human life is sacred from conception to natural death, and as such, opposes direct abortion.

Read More Respect Life

The abnormal abortion

The day O.J. Brigance testified that every life has value

Pro-life groups urge follow through from Blanche on policy permitting mifepristone by mail

Clarksville parishioners named Knights of Columbus International Family of the Year

Blanche signals potential restrictions on mifepristone by mail coming from Trump administration

Delores ‘Dee’ Silverman, co-founder of Pregnancy Center North, dies at 85

Copyright © 2025 OSV News

Print Print

Primary Sidebar

Kate Scanlon

Click here to view all posts from this author

For the latest news delivered twice a week via email or text message, sign up to receive our free enewsletter.

| MOST POPULAR |

  • Hispanic leaders learn to build a stronger ministry together
  • San Antonio priest laicized, excommunicated after calling Popes Francis and Leo ‘usurpers’
  • The day O.J. Brigance testified that every life has value
  • Values, service highlight nursing career spanning 59 years
  • USCCB’s education director reflects on Catholic school landscape as school year begins

| Latest Local News |

Hispanic leaders learn to build a stronger ministry together

Radio Interview: An American Martyr – The Legacy of Blessed Stanley Rother

Values, service highlight nursing career spanning 59 years

Fire damages building used for youth activities at St. Joseph, Fullerton

Redemptorists’ Baltimore Province will become part of new North American province

| Latest World News |

Ahead of beatification, the women behind Archbishop Sheen’s missionary work remember hidden labor

Why some Catholic schools are going low-tech in the age of AI

Sacred music must be ‘dignified,’ reflecting the mystery being celebrated, pope says

Threatened harvest and daily harassment rattle West Bank’s last Christian village

Florida Catholic bishops push back on state AG’s threat to participation in school voucher program

| Catholic Review Radio |

Footer

Our Vision

Real Life. Real Faith. 

Catholic Review Media communicates the Gospel and its impact on people’s lives in the Archdiocese of Baltimore and beyond.

Our Mission

Catholic Review Media provides intergenerational communications that inform, teach, inspire and engage Catholics and all of good will in the mission of Christ through diverse forms of media.

Contact

Catholic Review
320 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
443-524-3150
mail@CatholicReview.org

 

Social Media

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent

  • A blessing on the road
  • Ahead of beatification, the women behind Archbishop Sheen’s missionary work remember hidden labor
  • The abnormal abortion
  • Why some Catholic schools are going low-tech in the age of AI
  • Sacred music must be ‘dignified,’ reflecting the mystery being celebrated, pope says
  • Threatened harvest and daily harassment rattle West Bank’s last Christian village
  • Hispanic leaders learn to build a stronger ministry together
  • Florida Catholic bishops push back on state AG’s threat to participation in school voucher program
  • The day O.J. Brigance testified that every life has value

Search

Membership

Catholic Media Assocation

Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association

The Associated Church Press

© 2026 CATHOLIC REVIEW MEDIA, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED