• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
Catholic Review

Catholic Review

Inspiring the Archdiocese of Baltimore

Menu
  • Home
  • News
        • Local News
        • World News
        • Vatican News
        • Obituaries
        • Featured Video
        • En Español
        • Sports News
        • Official Clergy Assignments
        • Schools News
  • Commentary
        • Contributors
          • Question Corner
          • George Weigel
          • Elizabeth Scalia
          • Michael R. Heinlein
          • Effie Caldarola
          • Guest Commentary
        • CR Columnists
          • Archbishop William E. Lori
          • Rita Buettner
          • Christopher Gunty
          • George Matysek Jr.
          • Mark Viviano
          • Father Joseph Breighner
          • Father Collin Poston
          • Amen Columns
  • Entertainment
        • Events
        • Movie & Television Reviews
        • Arts & Culture
        • Books
        • Recipes
        • CR Kids
  • About Us
        • Contact Us
        • Our History
        • Meet Our Staff
        • Photos to own
        • Shop
        • CR Media platforms
        • Electronic Edition
        • Subscribe
  • Advertising
  • Kids
  • News Tips
  • Radio/Podcasts
        • Catholic Review Radio
        • Protagonistas de Fe
        • In God’s Image
        • “In Charity and Truth” with Archbishop William E. Lori
  • Subscribe
A file photo shows Nigerian security personnel standing by a burnt building after violence in the town of Adikpo in Nigeria's Benue State. In an Aug. 23, 2024, statement, the US-based Catholic Medical Association called for the release of 20 Catholic medical school students kidnapped Aug. 15 in east-central Nigeria. (OSV News photo/George Esiri, Reuters)

Catholic doctors condemn kidnapping of Nigerian Catholic medical students

August 26, 2024
By Gina Christian
OSV News
Filed Under: Health Care, News, Religious Freedom, World News

PHILADELPHIA (OSV News) — Catholic health care professionals have condemned the Aug. 15 kidnapping of 20 Catholic medical students in Nigeria.

In an Aug. 23 press release, the Catholic Medical Association — a professional organization headquartered in Philadelphia representing some 2,600 health care professionals — called for the immediate release of the students, who were traveling from two northern Nigeria universities to the southern city of Enugu for an annual convention by the Federation of Catholic Medical and Dental Students of Nigeria.

The federation, or FECAMDS, said in a statement that the students, all of whom were members of the organization, had been seized Aug. 15 at approximately 5 p.m. near Otukpo in Nigeria’s Benue State.

“We have been thrown into a state of gloom and have been working tirelessly with relevant parties to ensure their speedy release,” said FECAMDS. “We are already in close communication with the immediate families and everyone directly affected, to ensure the safe and swift return of our members.”

On its X (formerly Twitter) account, FECAMDS has been posting Google Meetup notices for regular rosary prayers “seeking the face of God for the release of our medical students.”

Kidnappers were demanding nearly $31,500 in ransom, according to Nigerian media outlets. They reported one of the students had posted a message on X saying, “Please help us, we haven’t eaten for two days,” adding that the kidnappers were threatening to kill the hostages.

“We appreciate the effort of the Federation of Catholic Medical and Dental Students of Nigeria (FECAMDS) in bringing attention to this situation,” said Dr. Ellen Dailor, chair of CMA’s medical missions committee, in the statement. “We stand in solidarity with them and pray for the students’ safe release.”

The CMA statement also noted that Nigeria’s Catholic bishops have denounced “an epidemic of kidnapping” and Christian persecution in the West African nation.
Nigeria remains one of the deadliest countries for followers of Jesus, with 82 percent of just under 5,000 Christian slayings last year taking place in that country, according to Open Doors U.S., an advocacy group that provides Bibles and support to persecuted Christians in more than 70 countries.

On Christmas Eve 2023, at least 140 Nigerians were slain across some 15 central villages by rampaging herders wielding guns and machetes, the worst such attack in the region since 2018. The area has for several years been prone to clashes between Muslim Fulani herdsmen and mainly Christian farmers.

Previously, Joop Koopman, director of communications for Aid to the Church in Need in the United States — which serves persecuted Christians worldwide — told OSV News that “radicalized Muslim Fulani herdsmen” in Nigeria’s north have “continued their killing spree, and no one is brought to justice.”

“There was some hope that the fact that the new Nigerian president (Bola Ahmed Tinubu) is married to a practicing Christian would translate into government action against the Fulanis, but nothing has been done,” said Koopman.

While media reports have tended to focus on the violence as a clash between farming and herding lifestyles, the International Committee on Nigeria has labeled the attacks as a “silent slaughter” that constitutes genocide.

CMA Past President Dr. Craig Treptow — who chairs the organization’s international outreach committee and represents the group to the World Federation of Catholic Medical Associations — said in the Aug. 23 statement that “the persecution of Catholics is real.

“Threats of violence to health care workers and students should never be tolerated,” he said.

Read More Religious Freedom

Court battle continues as lawmaker intervenes to save pilgrimage site from Trump seizure

El-Obeid: Brave witness of the Sudanese Church in a city under siege

Canada’s Catholics await high court decision on religious liberty and Bill 21

Catholic priest killed in Central African Republic remembered as a messenger of peace

Ezra Jin Mingri, Chinese prisoner of conscience, released to US

US condemns detention of Nicaraguan bishop as Church awaits proof of his safety

Copyright © 2024 OSV News

Print Print

Primary Sidebar

Gina Christian

Click here to view all posts from this author

For the latest news delivered twice a week via email or text message, sign up to receive our free enewsletter.

| MOST POPULAR |

  • Archbishop William E. Lori announces appointments, including pastor, special ministry and deacons
  • Archdiocese of Baltimore regroups parishes into eight regions
  • Fire damages building used for youth activities at St. Joseph, Fullerton
  • Pope Leo night at White Sox baseball park maxes out stadium capacity
  • Nearly 1,500 guns collected since 2023 as Archdiocese of Baltimore’s buyback continues to grow

| Latest Local News |

Fire damages building used for youth activities at St. Joseph, Fullerton

Redemptorists’ Baltimore Province will become part of new North American province

Archdiocese of Baltimore regroups parishes into eight regions

Archbishop William E. Lori announces appointments, including pastor, special ministry and deacons

Radio Interview: From addiction to purpose

| Latest World News |

Pope Leo XIV offers prayers, financial assistance to disaster-stricken Colombia

Supreme Court sets date for case over Catholic preschools and Colorado’s ‘universal’ program

Pope Leo XIV urges sisters to foster vocations to religious life in United States

Sainthood cause takes step forward for Rhoda Wise, an Ohio housewife, mystic and stigmatist

Pope Leo night at White Sox baseball park maxes out stadium capacity

| Catholic Review Radio |

Footer

Our Vision

Real Life. Real Faith. 

Catholic Review Media communicates the Gospel and its impact on people’s lives in the Archdiocese of Baltimore and beyond.

Our Mission

Catholic Review Media provides intergenerational communications that inform, teach, inspire and engage Catholics and all of good will in the mission of Christ through diverse forms of media.

Contact

Catholic Review
320 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
443-524-3150
mail@CatholicReview.org

 

Social Media

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent

  • Pope Leo XIV offers prayers, financial assistance to disaster-stricken Colombia
  • Supreme Court sets date for case over Catholic preschools and Colorado’s ‘universal’ program
  • Fire damages building used for youth activities at St. Joseph, Fullerton
  • Redemptorists’ Baltimore Province will become part of new North American province
  • Movie Review: ‘Paw Patrol: The Dino Movie’
  • Pope Leo XIV urges sisters to foster vocations to religious life in United States
  • Sainthood cause takes step forward for Rhoda Wise, an Ohio housewife, mystic and stigmatist
  • Addressing the ‘valleys of despair’ caused by the growing sports betting industry
  • Pope Leo night at White Sox baseball park maxes out stadium capacity

Search

Membership

Catholic Media Assocation

Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association

The Associated Church Press

© 2026 CATHOLIC REVIEW MEDIA, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED