• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
Catholic Review

Catholic Review

Inspiring the Archdiocese of Baltimore

Menu
  • Home
  • News
        • Local News
        • World News
        • Vatican News
        • Obituaries
        • Featured Video
        • En Español
        • Sports News
        • Official Clergy Assignments
        • Schools News
  • Commentary
        • Contributors
          • Question Corner
          • George Weigel
          • Elizabeth Scalia
          • Michael R. Heinlein
          • Effie Caldarola
          • Guest Commentary
        • CR Columnists
          • Archbishop William E. Lori
          • Rita Buettner
          • Christopher Gunty
          • George Matysek Jr.
          • Mark Viviano
          • Father Joseph Breighner
          • Father Collin Poston
          • Robyn Barberry
          • Hanael Bianchi
          • Amen Columns
  • Entertainment
        • Events
        • Movie & Television Reviews
        • Arts & Culture
        • Books
        • Recipes
  • About Us
        • Contact Us
        • Our History
        • Meet Our Staff
        • Photos to own
        • Books/CDs/Prayer Cards
        • CR Media platforms
        • Electronic Edition
  • Advertising
  • Shop
        • Purchase Photos
        • Books/CDs/Prayer Cards
        • Magazine Subscriptions
        • Archdiocesan Directory
  • CR Radio
        • CR Radio
        • Protagonistas de Fe
        • In God’s Image
  • News Tips
  • Subscribe
A undated photo shows a sign outside 1st Way Pregnancy Support Services in Johnsburg, Ill. The center, a plaintiff in a federal lawsuit concerning what pregnancy resource centers can tell clients, is one of 100 pregnancy resource centers in Illinois. (OSV News photo/1st Way Pregnancy Support Services)

Judge issues split decision on Illinois law opposed by pro-life pregnancy centers

April 10, 2025
By Kurt Jensen
OSV News
Filed Under: News, Religious Freedom, Respect Life, World News

In a split ruling, a federal judge in Illinois permanently blocked a provision of the state’s 2016 Health Care Right of Conscience Act, which attorneys representing pro-life doctors and the state’s 100 pregnancy resource centers said would compel their clients “to promote pro-abortion talking points with women in need.”

A preliminary injunction enjoining enforcement of the act, known as HCRCA, has been in place since 2017.

U.S District Judge Iain D. Johnston wrote in an April 4 decision that the evidence presented to the Illinois General Assembly in support of the act “was underwhelming.”

He said, “Nevertheless, in its wisdom, the State of Illinois sought to address a perceived problem, which it has every right to do in support of the public’s health, safety, and welfare.”

Judge Johnston added that no evidence had been presented to him showing that without the act, “the health of women was in grave peril.”

He pointed out that “the lack of evidence of women’s health being imperiled … is unsurprising because the HCRCA provides no protections for health care professionals who fail to treat emergencies.”

The case, Schroeder, et al. v. (Mario) Treto Jr., who heads the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation, was brought by lawyers for the Thomas More Society. The Chicago-based public interest law firm represented Illinois physician Dr. Ronald Schroeder, 1st Way Pregnancy Support Services, and Pregnancy Aid South Suburbs.

Johnston struck down the part of the HCRCA that required pro-life physicians and pregnancy centers to share the “benefits of abortion” after an ultrasound; but he upheld a separate amendment to the act which, Thomas More lawyers had argued, also “gutted conscience protections for pro-life physicians and pregnancy centers and required them to refer for abortion.”

“Constitutionally, to obtain the liability shield, the state can’t require medical professionals to discuss with patients what the state believes are the benefits of abortions; however, if patients request abortions, at a minimum, the State can require medical professionals to provide information of other medical professionals whom they reasonably believe might perform abortions,” he said.

Johnston said he “understands the plaintiffs’ position that … they are required to effectively endorse a course of conduct they find morally abhorrent.” He called that more of an issue of free exercise of speech.

He concluded that his decision should not “be interpreted as minimizing the constitutional issues at stake in this litigation, the role of the State to address perceived concerns about public health, safety, and welfare, or a woman’s access to medical care.”

In 2016, Illinois amended the HCRCA to require health care providers to discuss abortion’s “benefits” and refer women to abortion providers if they asked. Judge Johnston’s decision was consolidated with a parallel lawsuit, National Institute for Family and Life Advocates v. Treto, Jr., argued before him in 2023.

Thomas Olp, executive vice president of the Thomas More Society, said the firm would appeal the part of the decision referring to free speech, and that he expected the state of Illinois would appeal the other half.

“We’re going to continue to fight for the right of pro-life free speech,” he told OSV News. But Olp emphasized that requiring pregnancy resource centers to do as little as offer a written list of abortion providers against their pro-life beliefs “is compelled speech.”

Read More Respect Life

Ave Maria University battles measles outbreak

Trump Justice Department has made protests at places of worship a FACE Act priority

Bishop Rhoades calls on Notre Dame to reverse new director’s appointment over abortion advocacy

Oklahoma death-row inmate to be executed Feb. 12, unless he’s granted reprieve or stay

March for Life rally, national shrine, CUA among infection sites for confirmed measles cases in D.C.

Hochul signs assisted suicide measure into law, making New York 13th state allowing it

Copyright © 2025 OSV News

Print Print

Primary Sidebar

Kurt Jensen

Click here to view all posts from this author

For the latest news delivered twice a week via email or text message, sign up to receive our free enewsletter.

| MOST POPULAR |

  • Carrie Prejean Boller removed from Religious Liberty Commission after antisemitism row

  • Deacon Jack Ames, Project Rachel volunteer and educator, dies at 74

  • Archdiocese of Baltimore couples share stories of love that lasts a lifetime 

  • Movie Review: ‘Crime 101’

  • Religious Liberty Commission tussles over antisemitism as lawsuit challenges its legality

| Latest Local News |

Mount St. Joseph’s BJ Ransom selected as BCL Player of Year; league unveils new academic honors

Radio Interview: Archbishop Lori’s pastoral letter: ‘In Charity and Truth’

St. Carlo Acutis Camping Retreat builds faith in the great outdoors 

Notre Dame Prep develops new commons area

In God’s Image podcast: Taylor Branch

| Latest World News |

Latin Mass supporters say SSPX controversy has ‘thrown a hand grenade’ into TLM debate

A true parish welcomes everyone, spreads respect, harmony, pope says

Federal judge orders Catholic group be let into ICE facility on Ash Wednesday

Bishop Zurek resignation accepted; Cardinal DiNardo named as apostolic administrator of Amarillo

‘Operation Metro Surge’ in Minneapolis is ending but needs continue for immigrant families

| Catholic Review Radio |

Footer

Our Vision

Real Life. Real Faith. 

Catholic Review Media communicates the Gospel and its impact on people’s lives in the Archdiocese of Baltimore and beyond.

Our Mission

Catholic Review Media provides intergenerational communications that inform, teach, inspire and engage Catholics and all of good will in the mission of Christ through diverse forms of media.

Contact

Catholic Review
320 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
443-524-3150
mail@CatholicReview.org

 

Social Media

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent

  • Mount St. Joseph’s BJ Ransom selected as BCL Player of Year; league unveils new academic honors
  • Latin Mass supporters say SSPX controversy has ‘thrown a hand grenade’ into TLM debate
  • A true parish welcomes everyone, spreads respect, harmony, pope says
  • Radio Interview: Archbishop Lori’s pastoral letter: ‘In Charity and Truth’
  • Federal judge orders Catholic group be let into ICE facility on Ash Wednesday
  • Bishop Zurek resignation accepted; Cardinal DiNardo named as apostolic administrator of Amarillo
  • Bioethics of the brain: A conversation with a Catholic neurosurgeon
  • ‘Operation Metro Surge’ in Minneapolis is ending but needs continue for immigrant families
  • From discipleship to apostleship: SEEK promises encounter with Christ that continues

Search

Membership

Catholic Media Assocation

Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association

The Associated Church Press

© 2026 CATHOLIC REVIEW MEDIA, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED