• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
Catholic Review

Catholic Review

Inspiring the Archdiocese of Baltimore

Menu
  • Home
  • News
        • Local News
        • World News
        • Vatican News
        • Obituaries
        • Featured Video
        • En Español
        • Sports News
        • Official Clergy Assignments
        • Schools News
  • Commentary
        • Contributors
          • Question Corner
          • George Weigel
          • Elizabeth Scalia
          • Michael R. Heinlein
          • Effie Caldarola
          • Guest Commentary
        • CR Columnists
          • Archbishop William E. Lori
          • Rita Buettner
          • Christopher Gunty
          • George Matysek Jr.
          • Mark Viviano
          • Father Joseph Breighner
          • Father Collin Poston
          • Amen Columns
  • Entertainment
        • Events
        • Movie & Television Reviews
        • Arts & Culture
        • Books
        • Recipes
        • CR Kids
  • About Us
        • Contact Us
        • Our History
        • Meet Our Staff
        • Photos to own
        • Shop
        • CR Media platforms
        • Electronic Edition
        • Subscribe
  • Advertising
  • Kids
  • News Tips
  • Radio/Podcasts
        • Catholic Review Radio
        • Protagonistas de Fe
        • In God’s Image
        • “In Charity and Truth” with Archbishop William E. Lori
  • Subscribe
This photo shows Father Fadi Felefli, pastor of St. George Parish in Debel, Lebanon, holding a new statue of the crucified Jesus April 22, 2026. It replaced one that had been damaged earlier by an Israel Defense Forces soldier. (OSV News photo/Vatican Media, courtesy Debel alert)

Lebanese priests overjoyed by a surprise video call from Pope Leo

May 6, 2026
By Dale Gavlak
OSV News
Filed Under: Feature, News, Vatican, World News

AMMAN, Jordan (OSV News) — Lebanese Catholic priests serving in the south of the country near the border with Israel said they were overjoyed to discover that a call with Lebanon’s papal nuncio included another special guest on the online visit, Pope Leo XIV.

“First, it was a surprise, then it was a great joy,” Lebanese Maronite Catholic parish priest in Rmeich, Father Toni Elias, told OSV News by phone of the encounter with Pope Leo on May 6.

“This opportunity took place due to the grace of the papal nuncio (Archbishop) Paolo Borgia, who initiated the online contact with us,” said Father Elias, who was one of 13 Catholic priests engaged in the call with Pope Leo, who spoke in French with them.

Archbishop Borgia met with Pope Leo during a private audience May 6 at the Vatican and called a group of priests from the Apostolic Palace.

The 13 priests who received a video call serve in Lebanon’s southern villages and towns, including Rmeich, Ain Ebel, Debel and Marjayoun.

“The pope greatly encouraged us,” the priest said. “It was very wonderful because we felt the spirit of hope and joy descend upon us,” said Father Elias.

“This encounter with the pope was a reminder to us that we serve a Church that is unique in all of the world,” he said.

“The Holy Father wished to give us good courage in the face of difficulties that our Christian community has faced in these past days. He prayed over us and spoke the benediction,” said Father Elias.

Earlier, Father Elias told OSV News that he and the faithful in Rmeich “100% sense Jesus’ presence and support” as they daily pray together.

“Otherwise, how could we manage to remain here,” he said of Rmeich, the last village in Lebanon’s south on the border with Israel. Rmeich has been caught in the crossfire between Israel and Lebanon’s Iran-backed Hezbollah militia, a deadly side conflict of the Iran war.

“This opportunity to talk with the pope came quite unexpectedly,” Father Fadi Felefli, Maronite Catholic parish priest at St. George Church in the village of Debel, told OSV News by phone.

“The Holy Father greeted us, blessed us and prayed with us. He told us that we and our people are always in his prayers. He told us that it was a big ministry that we are undertaking at this moment,” said Father Felefli, another priest who participated in the call.

“We were so happy to receive this blessing and sense of peace the Holy Father brought to us through his words and care,” said Father Felefli.

“It was incredible to experience this great communication. And to know that he is concerned for our Church, the Christians and believers in this land. We are so grateful,” he added.

Lebanese Christians in Debel celebrated the gift of a new statue of Jesus after an act of desecration by two Israeli soldiers drew global outrage.

Israel’s military removed two soldiers from combat duty and placed them in military detention for 30 days after they destroyed the village’s crucifix.

The social media picture of an Israeli soldier taking the blunt side of an axe to a fallen sculpture of Jesus on the cross drew worldwide condemnation April 20 and apologies from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and other officials.

A contingent of soldiers from Italy serving with the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon, known as UNIFIL, donated a new replacement crucifix to the Debel Christian community.

A few days before the May 6 papal call, the Israeli military demolished a Catholic convent and school in the border village of Yaroun, according to L’Osservator Romano.

The Council of Melkite Greek Catholic Bishops in Lebanon urged the Lebanese government and the United Nations to protect the property of civilians and religious institutions in south Lebanon. They drew attention to Yaroun, where officials said Israeli troops destroyed a Melkite convent earlier this month, among other demolitions.

The bishops called the destruction of buildings, after residents of the area had evacuated, a “deep wound in the national and human conscience,” according to The Associated Press.

The French Catholic charity L’Oeuvre d’Orient condemned what it called the “deliberate act of destruction of a place of worship and the systematic destruction of homes in southern Lebanon aimed at preventing the return of civilian populations.”

Despite a ceasefire on April 17, Israel has expanded its control of border areas in south Lebanon in its latest war against Hezbollah, which began March 2, by forcing many inhabitants to flee and its military raining widespread destruction on a vast region that includes Christians and Shiite Muslims.

Read More Vatican News

Pope Leo night at White Sox baseball park maxes out stadium capacity

Pope Leo says Sunday is ‘foundation and kernel’ of liturgical year

Vatican announces ‘disarming technology’ will be theme of next World Day of Peace

Security issues show AI needs greater human oversight, say Catholic experts

Pope appeals for peace in Sudan, prays for victims in Ukraine-Russia conflict

Pope Leo XIV offers prayers, condolences as bishops urge solidarity following Colombia earthquake

Copyright © 2026 OSV News

Print Print

Primary Sidebar

Dale Gavlak

Click here to view all posts from this author

For the latest news delivered twice a week via email or text message, sign up to receive our free enewsletter.

| MOST POPULAR |

  • Archbishop William E. Lori announces appointments, including pastor, special ministry and deacons
  • Archdiocese of Baltimore regroups parishes into eight regions
  • Clarksville parishioners named Knights of Columbus International Family of the Year
  • Nearly 1,500 guns collected since 2023 as Archdiocese of Baltimore’s buyback continues to grow
  • Movie Review: ‘Super Troopers 3’

| Latest Local News |

Archdiocese of Baltimore regroups parishes into eight regions

Archbishop William E. Lori announces appointments, including pastor, special ministry and deacons

Radio Interview: From addiction to purpose

Nearly 1,500 guns collected since 2023 as Archdiocese of Baltimore’s buyback continues to grow

Clarksville parishioners named Knights of Columbus International Family of the Year

| Latest World News |

Sainthood cause takes step forward for Rhoda Wise, an Ohio housewife, mystic and stigmatist

Pope Leo night at White Sox baseball park maxes out stadium capacity

Hong Kong’s Father Benedict Chao, world’s oldest Trappist monk, dead at 108

Latin America: Bishops express solidarity with Colombia as death toll surpasses 250

Pope Leo says Sunday is ‘foundation and kernel’ of liturgical year

| Catholic Review Radio |

Footer

Our Vision

Real Life. Real Faith. 

Catholic Review Media communicates the Gospel and its impact on people’s lives in the Archdiocese of Baltimore and beyond.

Our Mission

Catholic Review Media provides intergenerational communications that inform, teach, inspire and engage Catholics and all of good will in the mission of Christ through diverse forms of media.

Contact

Catholic Review
320 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
443-524-3150
mail@CatholicReview.org

 

Social Media

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent

  • Sainthood cause takes step forward for Rhoda Wise, an Ohio housewife, mystic and stigmatist
  • Addressing the ‘valleys of despair’ caused by the growing sports betting industry
  • Pope Leo night at White Sox baseball park maxes out stadium capacity
  • Hong Kong’s Father Benedict Chao, world’s oldest Trappist monk, dead at 108
  • Latin America: Bishops express solidarity with Colombia as death toll surpasses 250
  • Pope Leo says Sunday is ‘foundation and kernel’ of liturgical year
  • Pro-life groups urge follow through from Blanche on policy permitting mifepristone by mail
  • Ryan, meet Ryan: A glimpse into record-breaking Ryan Meet-ups
  • Vatican announces ‘disarming technology’ will be theme of next World Day of Peace

Search

Membership

Catholic Media Assocation

Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association

The Associated Church Press

© 2026 CATHOLIC REVIEW MEDIA, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED