• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
Catholic Review

Catholic Review

Inspiring the Archdiocese of Baltimore

Menu
  • Home
  • News
        • Local News
        • World News
        • Vatican News
        • Obituaries
        • Featured Video
        • En Español
        • Sports News
        • Official Clergy Assignments
        • Schools News
  • Commentary
        • Contributors
          • Question Corner
          • George Weigel
          • Elizabeth Scalia
          • Michael R. Heinlein
          • Effie Caldarola
          • Guest Commentary
        • CR Columnists
          • Archbishop William E. Lori
          • Rita Buettner
          • Christopher Gunty
          • George Matysek Jr.
          • Mark Viviano
          • Father Joseph Breighner
          • Father Collin Poston
          • Robyn Barberry
          • Hanael Bianchi
          • Amen Columns
  • Entertainment
        • Events
        • Movie & Television Reviews
        • Arts & Culture
        • Books
        • Recipes
  • About Us
        • Contact Us
        • Our History
        • Meet Our Staff
        • Photos to own
        • Books/CDs/Prayer Cards
        • CR Media platforms
        • Electronic Edition
  • Advertising
  • Shop
        • Purchase Photos
        • Books/CDs/Prayer Cards
        • Magazine Subscriptions
        • Archdiocesan Directory
  • CR Radio
        • CR Radio
        • Protagonistas de Fe
  • News Tips
  • Subscribe
St. Louis Cathedral and a statue of Andrew Jackson are seen June 3, 2019, in New Orleans. In a letter dated Dec. 26, 2025, the New Orleans Archdiocese issued an apology letter to all the claimants of child sexual abuse following its final settlement. (OSV News photo/Gregory A. Shemitz)

New Orleans archbishop apologizes to abuse survivors as settlement takes effect

January 6, 2026
By Gina Christian
OSV News
Filed Under: Bankruptcy, Child & Youth Protection, News, World News

Archbishop Gregory M. Aymond of New Orleans has issued a formal apology to abuse survivors in that archdiocese, following last month’s court approval of a $230 million settlement in the five-year-long bankruptcy case.

“With this letter, I express on behalf of the clergy, religious, and laity of the Archdiocese of New Orleans, my predecessors, and myself, profound regret over the tragic and inexcusable harm you have suffered at the hands of your abusers,” said Archbishop Aymond in a widely distributed Dec. 26 letter addressed “to all child abuse claimants” in the archdiocese.

The seventh amended plan for the archdiocese’s Chapter 11 filing — dating to 2020, and prompted by some 500 abuse claims — was approved by Judge Meredith S. Grabill on Dec. 8.

The archdiocese advised the court on Dec. 29 that “all conditions” required for the plan’s taking effect had been satisfied as of Dec. 26.

Archbishop Aymond’s apology letter was posted to the archdiocesan website and that of the Clarion Herald, the archdiocesan newspaper, the print edition of which will also include the message. Bayou Catholic, the official paper of the Diocese of Houma-Thibodaux, La., will include the text in its upcoming February edition.

In a Jan. 3 press release, the Archdiocese of New Orleans announced that Archbishop Aymond’s letter, posted to the archdiocesan website, would also be printed in full “throughout the upcoming days and weeks in the various media markets.”

The “extensive media outreach” — which includes some two dozen secular outlets in Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas — is part of the archdiocese’s “commitment to the nonmonetary provisions laid out in its Chapter 11 settlement plan,” said the press release.

In his letter, Archbishop apologized to the victims “for the trauma caused to you and to those close to you as a survivor of sexual abuse perpetrated by a member of the clergy, a religious sister or brother, or a lay employee or volunteer working within the Catholic Church.

“Sexual abuse is an inexcusable evil, and I am ashamed that you or anyone should have been sexually abused by someone working within the Catholic Church,” he said. “Please know that you are not to blame for the abuse perpetrated on you. You were and are completely innocent and did nothing to deserve the pain you have suffered because of the hideous crime of sexual abuse of a minor.”

He said the archdiocese “takes responsibility for the abuse you have suffered and pledges to keep children and all vulnerable people safe in our ministry.” He added, “It is my fervent hope that as we bring these Chapter 11 proceedings to a close, you will achieve some sense of peace, justice, and healing.”

The closing hearings of the case in early December included testimony from 23 survivors, with Judge Grabill addressing them through tears ahead of her final ruling.

One survivor filed a handwritten letter to Judge Grabill, thanking her for her empathy and saying the court decision “will give children a voice … who have been silenced for so long.”

The survivor — noting a lifelong inability to “shake the stigma of the abuse” — said the decision to come forward “was very powerful for my own healing and to help move the Catholic Church to a safer environment.”

With the proceedings also involving 157 affiliated Catholic organizations — including parishes, schools, Catholic Charities organizations, and other ministries — the $230 million settlement will require parishes to contribute a total of some $60 million. A possible $75 million may be supplied by insurance funds.

According to Fox 8 New Orleans, Archbishop Aymond declined to specify how much each parish would be expected to pay toward the settlement.

OSV News previously confirmed with the archdiocese that its legal fees in the case totaled approximately $50 million as of November.

The arduous bankruptcy proceedings appeared to stall even in their final months, with one group of bond investors calling for further discussion of the archdiocese’s Chapter 11 reorganization plan, then in its fifth version, despite an overwhelming vote of approval of the plan by a committee of survivors and additional creditors.

Grabill appeared to lose patience with the case in April 2025, issuing an order on a potential dismissal of the “particularly contentious” suit, which had failed to reach a reorganization plan after five years of litigation.

Along with the wranglings over bankruptcy and survivor compensation, the archdiocese’s battle to resolve sex abuse claims has also included:

-The recusal of a previous judge in the Chapter 11 case.

-The guilty plea and life sentence of Msgr. Lawrence Hecker for rape and other crimes committed in 1975-1976.

-An investigation by the Louisiana State Police and the FBI — with a search warrant issued in May 2024 — to determine if archdiocesan officials covered up child sex trafficking by clergy over several decades, with some alleged victims reportedly taken out of state to be abused and marked for further exploitation among clergy.

OSV News has found that from 2004 to 2024, U.S. Catholic dioceses collectively paid a total of more than $5 billion to settle abuse claims.

In September, Pope Leo XIV appointed Bishop James F. Checchio of Metuchen, N.J., as coadjutor archbishop of New Orleans. Archbishop Checcio will assist Archbishop Aymond until the latter’s canonically required resignation, submitted upon reaching the age of 75, is accepted by the pope.

A link to the letter can be found here at the Clarion Herald: https://clarionherald.org/documents/2026/1/2025.12.26%20-%20public%20apology%20letter.pdf

Read More Child & Youth Protection

Pope concerned about lack of progress on protecting children

Irish abuse survivor praises Pope Leo’s ’empathy,’ apology after private audience

Cardinal Woelki says he is finished with German Synodal Way, will skip sixth assembly

Former ambassadors seek renewed bipartisanship to fight human trafficking

Anti-trafficking advocates cite aid cuts, immigration crackdowns as key challenges

Church leaders must listen to abuse victims, those who suffer, pope tells cardinals

Copyright © 2026 OSV News

Print Print

Primary Sidebar

Gina Christian

Click here to view all posts from this author

For the latest news delivered twice a week via email or text message, sign up to receive our free enewsletter.

| MOST POPULAR |

  • Carrie Prejean Boller removed from Religious Liberty Commission after antisemitism row

  • Deacon Jack Ames, Project Rachel volunteer and educator, dies at 74

  • In pastoral letter, Archbishop Lori calls for renewed political culture 

  • Religious Liberty Commission tussles over antisemitism as lawsuit challenges its legality

  • Archdiocese of Baltimore couples share stories of love that lasts a lifetime 

| Latest Local News |

Deacon Jack Ames, Project Rachel volunteer and educator, dies at 74

Archdiocese of Baltimore couples share stories of love that lasts a lifetime 

Little Sisters of Poor ask for gifts of a little bling to help others 

Mount 2000 attracts more than 1,100 for eucharistic retreat

Oblate Sister M. Felicia Avila, who ministered at St. Ambrose, dies at 89

| Latest World News |

Trump Justice Department has made protests at places of worship a FACE Act priority

Olympic skater aims to honor Italy’s Catholic culture with ‘Conclave’ program

Pope supports solidarity with immigrants in U.S.; Catholics must stand together, archbishop says

Cardinal Fernández proposes path of theological dialogue with SSPX toward full communion

Cuban bishops postpone ‘ad limina’ visit amid fuel shortage crisis

| Catholic Review Radio |

Footer

Our Vision

Real Life. Real Faith. 

Catholic Review Media communicates the Gospel and its impact on people’s lives in the Archdiocese of Baltimore and beyond.

Our Mission

Catholic Review Media provides intergenerational communications that inform, teach, inspire and engage Catholics and all of good will in the mission of Christ through diverse forms of media.

Contact

Catholic Review
320 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
443-524-3150
mail@CatholicReview.org

 

Social Media

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent

  • Trump Justice Department has made protests at places of worship a FACE Act priority
  • Olympic skater aims to honor Italy’s Catholic culture with ‘Conclave’ program
  • Pope supports solidarity with immigrants in U.S.; Catholics must stand together, archbishop says
  • Cardinal Fernández proposes path of theological dialogue with SSPX toward full communion
  • Deacon Jack Ames, Project Rachel volunteer and educator, dies at 74
  • Cuban bishops postpone ‘ad limina’ visit amid fuel shortage crisis
  • The bishop meets ‘the Boss’: New Jersey bishop has impromptu lunch with Bruce Springsteen
  • Police commissioner names Cardinal Dolan as co-chief chaplain of NYPD
  • A Birmingham jail

Search

Membership

Catholic Media Assocation

Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association

The Associated Church Press

© 2026 CATHOLIC REVIEW MEDIA, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED