• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
Catholic Review

Catholic Review

Inspiring the Archdiocese of Baltimore

Menu
  • Home
  • News
        • Local News
        • World News
        • Vatican News
        • Obituaries
        • Featured Video
        • En Español
        • Sports News
        • Official Clergy Assignments
        • Schools News
  • Commentary
        • Contributors
          • Question Corner
          • George Weigel
          • Elizabeth Scalia
          • Michael R. Heinlein
          • Effie Caldarola
          • Guest Commentary
        • CR Columnists
          • Archbishop William E. Lori
          • Rita Buettner
          • Christopher Gunty
          • George Matysek Jr.
          • Mark Viviano
          • Father Joseph Breighner
          • Father Collin Poston
          • Amen Columns
  • Entertainment
        • Events
        • Movie & Television Reviews
        • Arts & Culture
        • Books
        • Recipes
        • CR for Kids
  • About Us
        • Contact Us
        • Our History
        • Meet Our Staff
        • Photos to own
        • Shop
        • CR Media platforms
        • Electronic Edition
        • Subscribe
  • Advertising
  • Shop
    • Purchase Photos
    • Books/CDs/Prayer Cards
    • Magazine Subscriptions
    • Archdiocesan Directory
  • Radio/Podcasts
        • Catholic Review Radio
        • Protagonistas de Fe
        • In God’s Image
  • News Tips
  • Subscribe
This Oct. 14, 2020, file photo shows the Vatican City State criminal court during the opening of the trial of Father Gabriele Martinelli and Msgr. Enrico Radice. Father Martinelli is accused of repeatedly sexually abusing a younger student at the Vatican's St. Pius X Pre-Seminary. Msgr. Enrico Radice, former rector of the seminary, has been accused of obstructing the investigation into the younger priest. Defendants in the court are normally seated on the bench at right. (CNS photo/Vatican Media)

Pope orders minor seminary to move out of Vatican

May 25, 2021
By Cindy Wooden
Catholic News Service
Filed Under: News, Vatican, World News

VATICAN CITY (CNS) — Pope Francis has ordered the minor seminary that is located inside the Vatican and currently at the center of a criminal sex abuse trial to move to a new location in Rome before classes begin in the fall.

The idea of moving the seminary had been under study “for some time,” said a statement May 25 from Matteo Bruni, director of the Vatican press office. The idea, he said, was to find a building closer to where the students go to school in Rome and where they play.

Father Angelo Magistrelli, rector of the St. Pius X Pre-Seminary and superior of the Opera Don Folci, which runs the institute, told the Vatican court April 14 that the current enrollment is 26 boys and young men and that the number of inquiries about admissions had been increasing.

Boys as young as 12 live at the seminary, act as altar servers at liturgies in St. Peter’s Basilica and study at the St. Apollinare Institute, a Catholic middle school and high school. The 26 current residents also include 10 students who finished high school while at the pre-seminary and continue to live there while taking college courses.

Bruni said Pope Francis communicated his decision to Father Magistrelli during an audience but also thanked the priest and the Opera Don Folci “for the work accomplished in the 75 years since the institution’s founding,” and he asked that the students be allowed to continue as altar servers in the basilica.

“In the life of the activity of the St. Pius X Pre-Seminary it is a new stage which undoubtedly will offer it new opportunities for growth and development, especially in the sphere of promoting vocations to sacred ministry,” Bruni said.

The Vatican statement made no mention of the trial, which began in October, in which Father Gabriele Martinelli is accused of sexually abusing a younger student when they both were living at the pre-seminary.

The abuse was said to have occurred between 2007 and 2012. Although both were under the age of 18 when the abuse was said to have begun, the Vatican court accused the priest of continuing to abuse the younger student when Martinelli, not yet a priest, was already 20.

Msgr. Enrico Radice, the former rector of the seminary, also is on trial and is accused of hindering the investigation into the abuse allegations. And the seminary and the Opera Don Folci are accused of failing to protect the young students.

The website of the pre-seminary says that since its founding in 1956, almost 200 students have gone on to the priesthood or entered religious life.

Also see

Pope approves creation of interdicasterial commission on AI

May 16, 2026

Communion and Liberation founder’s sainthood cause heads to Vatican

May 15, 2026

Pope Leo XIV’s encyclical on artificial intelligence is coming: Here’s what he has said on AI so far

May 14, 2026

45 years on, attempted assassination of St. John Paul II recalled as turning point in history

May 13, 2026

Pope Leo XIV names former missionary in Cuba as new bishop of Venice, Florida

May 13, 2026

First-ever pilgrimage celebrates Pope Leo with Mass, visits to papal boyhood landmarks

May 12, 2026

Copyright © 2021 Catholic News Service/U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops

Print Print

Primary Sidebar

Cindy Wooden

Click here to view all posts from this author

For the latest news delivered twice a week via email or text message, sign up to receive our free enewsletter.

| MOST POPULAR |

  • Archdiocese of Baltimore files new proposed plan for Chapter 11 reorganization
  • Archbishop Lori will ordain 12 transitional deacons May 16
  • Pope Leo XIV’s encyclical on artificial intelligence is coming: Here’s what he has said on AI so far
  • Brazilian nun drowns while trying to save fellow sister in Sicily
  • As justices consider birthright citizenship, displaced mom says her US-born child ‘should belong’

| Latest Local News |

Archdiocese of Baltimore files new proposed plan for Chapter 11 reorganization

Faith at bat: Failure, injury, pressure shape high school athletes

Sister Geraldine Kent, S.S.J., dies at 95

Commencement speakers announced for local Catholic universities

Archbishop Lori will ordain 12 transitional deacons May 16

| Latest World News |

Pope approves creation of interdicasterial commission on AI

Eudist sisters face possible eviction with prayer, trust in God — and an attorney

Study: Mass deportation has ‘chilling’ effect on labor market for immigrant, US-citizen workers

Communion and Liberation founder’s sainthood cause heads to Vatican

Police recover beloved saint’s relic taken in brazen theft that shocked Czech Catholics

| Catholic Review Radio |

Footer

Our Vision

Real Life. Real Faith. 

Catholic Review Media communicates the Gospel and its impact on people’s lives in the Archdiocese of Baltimore and beyond.

Our Mission

Catholic Review Media provides intergenerational communications that inform, teach, inspire and engage Catholics and all of good will in the mission of Christ through diverse forms of media.

Contact

Catholic Review
320 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
443-524-3150
mail@CatholicReview.org

 

Social Media

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent

  • Pope approves creation of interdicasterial commission on AI
  • Cardinal Gibbons: Baltimore’s effective advocate for American Catholicism’s Americanization
  • Eudist sisters face possible eviction with prayer, trust in God — and an attorney
  • Archdiocese of Baltimore files new proposed plan for Chapter 11 reorganization
  • Study: Mass deportation has ‘chilling’ effect on labor market for immigrant, US-citizen workers
  • Communion and Liberation founder’s sainthood cause heads to Vatican
  • Police recover beloved saint’s relic taken in brazen theft that shocked Czech Catholics
  • UK diocese opens Pedro Ballester’s sainthood cause
  • Supreme Court leaves in place mail-order distribution of mifepristone during legal challenge

Search

Membership

Catholic Media Assocation

Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association

The Associated Church Press

© 2026 CATHOLIC REVIEW MEDIA, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED