• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
Catholic Review

Catholic Review

Inspiring the Archdiocese of Baltimore

Menu
  • Home
  • News
        • Local News
        • World News
        • Vatican News
        • Obituaries
        • Featured Video
        • En Español
        • Sports News
        • Official Clergy Assignments
        • Schools News
  • Commentary
        • Contributors
          • Question Corner
          • George Weigel
          • Elizabeth Scalia
          • Michael R. Heinlein
          • Effie Caldarola
          • Guest Commentary
        • CR Columnists
          • Archbishop William E. Lori
          • Rita Buettner
          • Christopher Gunty
          • George Matysek Jr.
          • Mark Viviano
          • Father Joseph Breighner
          • Father Collin Poston
          • Amen Columns
  • Entertainment
        • Events
        • Movie & Television Reviews
        • Arts & Culture
        • Books
        • Recipes
        • CR Kids
  • About Us
        • Contact Us
        • Our History
        • Meet Our Staff
        • Photos to own
        • Shop
        • CR Media platforms
        • Electronic Edition
        • Subscribe
  • Advertising
  • Kids
  • News Tips
  • Radio/Podcasts
        • Catholic Review Radio
        • Protagonistas de Fe
        • In God’s Image
        • “In Charity and Truth” with Archbishop William E. Lori
  • Subscribe
A group of 26 men and women survivors of abuse as children meet with staff of the Pontifical Commission for the Protection of Minors at the commission's headquarters in Rome Nov. 28, 2023. They had been abused when they were young children by members of the Congregation of the Montfort Brothers of St. Gabriel, which ran schools in western France. The group met with Pope Francis later in the day at his residence. (CNS photo/courtesy of the Pontifical Commission for the Protection of Minors)

Silence must be broken if abuse is to be eradicated, pope tells victims

November 29, 2023
By Carol Glatz
Catholic News Service
Filed Under: Child & Youth Protection, News, Vatican, World News

VATICAN CITY (CNS) — Everyone must work together to end the silence surrounding abuse if it is to be eradicated from the church and communities, Pope Francis told adult survivors of abuse as children.

“The subversion of a child’s rights through violence and abuse is a betrayal of our God-given humanity,” he said in a letter to the group he met with at the Vatican.

Despite feeling unwell with the flu and canceling several appointments during the week, Pope Francis welcomed the group of 26 men and women survivors at his residence Nov. 28, according to Vatican News. They had been abused when they were young children by members of the Congregation of the Montfort Brothers of St. Gabriel, which ran schools in western France. Representatives of the congregation and of the Commission for Recognition and Reparation accompanied the group from the Diocese of Nantes.

The group had first met for two hours with members of the Pontifical Commission for the Protection of Minors, during which they received a letter from Pope Francis, who had apologized for not being able to speak to them in person “as we had hoped.”

The pope said he had asked that his words be conveyed to them by the staff of the papal commission, which he established “for you and for the many vulnerable children and persons who, like you, experience the greatest evil in a place where you — together with your families — sought what is true and good.”

“I have asked the commission to hear your words on my behalf and to gather your testimonies so that they may strengthen and inspire our common efforts to eradicate abuse from our church and our communities,” the pope wrote.

“We can only do this together, all of us doing our part to break the silence of abuse,” he wrote.

The pope recognized their journey of healing together with the Monfort Brothers and said it shows that “this silence can be broken if there is an active and respectful openness within the institution itself to listen to what victims and survivors have to say.”

“This is not always easy, and I congratulate all of you for this achievement of walking and learning together in honest dialogue,” he added.

The pope renewed his support for “the non-negotiable commitment by local churches to the implementation and verification of safeguarding policies and professional standards in the human formation of our clergy and religious, as well as to seeking safe environments in our schools.”

He thanked them for their “courage and resilience” and assured them that “you are heard.”

Read More Vatican News

Pope Leo meets Lebanese president; Vatican concerned over border deal implementation

‘Prayer is our number one weapon’ against Russian aggression, says papal nuncio to Ukraine

Conversion of heart needed to end wars, heal Earth, pope says

Sacred music must be ‘dignified,’ reflecting the mystery being celebrated, pope says

San Antonio priest laicized, excommunicated after calling Popes Francis and Leo ‘usurpers’

Pope offers prayers for Zimbabwe ferry disaster as death toll passes 90

Copyright © 2023 Catholic News Service/U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops

Print Print

Primary Sidebar

Carol Glatz

Click here to view all posts from this author

For the latest news delivered twice a week via email or text message, sign up to receive our free enewsletter.

| MOST POPULAR |

  • New associate eastern vicar appointed to succeed Monsignor O’Connor
  • Josephites elect new superior general
  • Hispanic leaders learn to build a stronger ministry together
  • San Antonio priest laicized, excommunicated after calling Popes Francis and Leo ‘usurpers’
  • Sacred music must be ‘dignified,’ reflecting the mystery being celebrated, pope says

| Latest Local News |

Sister Mary Laurentilla Back, S.S.N.D., dies at 93

Catholic schools are building for the future

New associate eastern vicar appointed to succeed Monsignor O’Connor

Josephites elect new superior general

Hispanic leaders learn to build a stronger ministry together

| Latest World News |

Pope Leo meets Lebanese president; Vatican concerned over border deal implementation

‘Prayer is our number one weapon’ against Russian aggression, says papal nuncio to Ukraine

Conversion of heart needed to end wars, heal Earth, pope says

Colombia: Bogotá archdiocese launches ‘spiritual first aid’ mission to quake-hit cities

Come to the Water: Eucharist boat procession along the Bayou Teche celebrates faith, history

| Catholic Review Radio |

Footer

Our Vision

Real Life. Real Faith. 

Catholic Review Media communicates the Gospel and its impact on people’s lives in the Archdiocese of Baltimore and beyond.

Our Mission

Catholic Review Media provides intergenerational communications that inform, teach, inspire and engage Catholics and all of good will in the mission of Christ through diverse forms of media.

Contact

Catholic Review
320 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
443-524-3150
mail@CatholicReview.org

 

Social Media

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent

  • A journey toward Christ and vocation
  • Sister Mary Laurentilla Back, S.S.N.D., dies at 93
  • Addiction doesn’t have to be the final word
  • Catholic schools are building for the future
  • Stories that tell the U.S. Catholic story
  • Pope Leo meets Lebanese president; Vatican concerned over border deal implementation
  • ‘Prayer is our number one weapon’ against Russian aggression, says papal nuncio to Ukraine
  • Conversion of heart needed to end wars, heal Earth, pope says
  • New associate eastern vicar appointed to succeed Monsignor O’Connor

Search

Membership

Catholic Media Assocation

Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association

The Associated Church Press

© 2026 CATHOLIC REVIEW MEDIA, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED