• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
Catholic Review

Catholic Review

Inspiring the Archdiocese of Baltimore

Menu
  • Home
  • News
        • Local News
        • World News
        • Vatican News
        • Obituaries
        • Featured Video
        • En Español
        • Sports News
        • Official Clergy Assignments
        • Schools News
  • Commentary
        • Contributors
          • Question Corner
          • George Weigel
          • Elizabeth Scalia
          • Michael R. Heinlein
          • Effie Caldarola
          • Guest Commentary
        • CR Columnists
          • Archbishop William E. Lori
          • Rita Buettner
          • Christopher Gunty
          • George Matysek Jr.
          • Mark Viviano
          • Father Joseph Breighner
          • Father Collin Poston
          • Amen Columns
  • Entertainment
        • Events
        • Movie & Television Reviews
        • Arts & Culture
        • Books
        • Recipes
        • CR Kids
  • About Us
        • Contact Us
        • Our History
        • Meet Our Staff
        • Photos to own
        • Shop
        • CR Media platforms
        • Electronic Edition
        • Subscribe
  • Advertising
  • Kids
  • News Tips
  • Radio/Podcasts
        • Catholic Review Radio
        • Protagonistas de Fe
        • In God’s Image
        • “In Charity and Truth” with Archbishop William E. Lori
  • Subscribe
A box containing a mifepristone tablet is pictured Feb. 28, 2023. The U.S. Department of Justice on March 6, 2026, moved to dismiss Missouri v. FDA, a lawsuit from a coalition of states led by Missouri seeking to end a Food and Drug Administration policy permitting mifepristone to be distributed by mail, arguing it undermines their own state laws, among other objections. (OSV News photo/Callaghan O'Hare, Reuters)

Trump administration seeks pause on another lawsuit challenging abortion pill

March 10, 2026
By Kate Scanlon
OSV News
Filed Under: News, Respect Life, World News

WASHINGTON (OSV News) — The Trump administration on March 6 again asked a judge to pause a state lawsuit seeking to roll back Biden administration-era eased restrictions on mifepristone, a drug commonly, but not exclusively, used for first trimester abortion.

The U.S. Department of Justice moved to dismiss Missouri v. FDA, a lawsuit from a coalition of states led by Missouri seeking to end a Food and Drug Administration policy permitting mifepristone to be distributed by mail, arguing it undermines their own state laws, among other objections.

The Department of Justice seal is seen July 30, 2018, in the Great Hall at the Main Justice Building in Washington. On March 6, 2026, the DOJ moved to dismiss Missouri v. FDA, a lawsuit from a coalition of states led by Missouri seeking to end a Food and Drug Administration policy permitting mifepristone to be distributed by mail, arguing it undermines their own state laws, among other objections. (OSV News photo/CNS file, Tyler Orsburn)

But DOJ lawyers in the Trump administration argued in the filing that the court “should either stay this case until after FDA completes its review or dismiss it.”

However, the status and timeline of the FDA’s review is unclear.

The filing came after the Trump administration previously sought to dismiss a similar lawsuit brought by Louisiana. In the DOJ’s filing in the Louisiana case, it said such reviews often take about one year.

Marjorie Dannenfelser, president of Susan B. Anthony Pro-Life America, said in a March 6 statement, “Once again, the Trump-Vance Justice Department is taking the side of abortion drug dealers and the radical Left against women and children, public health and safety, and the overwhelmingly pro-life GOP base.”

“Burying this shameful move in a Friday evening news dump underscores how indefensible it is,” she added. “On top of this, in a federal court hearing less than two weeks ago, the administration admitted it has NO details on the timeline for (FDA) Commissioner (Marty) Makary’s promised safety study of mifepristone — if indeed it has really begun.”

Referring to recent comments made by Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. about the amount of sugar used in food products by companies including Dunkin’, Dannenfelser argued, ““While Secretary Kennedy is focused on the scourge of Dunkin’ coffee and the DOJ has been busy litigating against concerned Republican leaders in ruby-red states, women and girls are under assault and babies are being killed.”

A spokesperson for the Department of Justice did not immediately respond to a request for comment from OSV News.

Proponents of the drug argue it is statistically safe for a woman to take, and attempts to restrict it are an attempt to ban abortion outright. In contrast, opponents argue there are significant risks to those who take it, particularly outside of medical settings, in addition to ending the life of an unborn child early in its development.

The Catholic Church teaches that all human life is sacred from conception to natural death, and as such, opposes direct abortion. Church leaders have called for restricting mifepristone’s use in abortion, while noting that the drug’s more recent usage in medical protocols for miscarriage care, where an unborn child has passed away, would be a morally legitimate scenario.

Read More Respect Life

The day O.J. Brigance testified that every life has value

Pro-life groups urge follow through from Blanche on policy permitting mifepristone by mail

Clarksville parishioners named Knights of Columbus International Family of the Year

Blanche signals potential restrictions on mifepristone by mail coming from Trump administration

Delores ‘Dee’ Silverman, co-founder of Pregnancy Center North, dies at 85

Court shields women religious from New York assisted suicide law

Copyright © 2026 OSV News

Print Print

Primary Sidebar

Kate Scanlon

Click here to view all posts from this author

For the latest news delivered twice a week via email or text message, sign up to receive our free enewsletter.

| MOST POPULAR |

  • Fire damages building used for youth activities at St. Joseph, Fullerton
  • Pope Leo night at White Sox baseball park maxes out stadium capacity
  • Sainthood cause takes step forward for Rhoda Wise, an Ohio housewife, mystic and stigmatist
  • San Antonio priest laicized, excommunicated after calling Popes Francis and Leo ‘usurpers’
  • Redemptorists’ Baltimore Province will become part of new North American province

| Latest Local News |

Hispanic leaders learn to build a stronger ministry together

Radio Interview: An American Martyr – The Legacy of Blessed Stanley Rother

Values, service highlight nursing career spanning 59 years

Fire damages building used for youth activities at St. Joseph, Fullerton

Redemptorists’ Baltimore Province will become part of new North American province

| Latest World News |

Threatened harvest and daily harassment rattle West Bank’s last Christian village

Florida Catholic bishops push back on state AG’s threat to participation in school voucher program

USCCB’s education director reflects on Catholic school landscape as school year begins

San Antonio priest laicized, excommunicated after calling Popes Francis and Leo ‘usurpers’

Pope offers prayers for Zimbabwe ferry disaster as death toll passes 90

| Catholic Review Radio |

Footer

Our Vision

Real Life. Real Faith. 

Catholic Review Media communicates the Gospel and its impact on people’s lives in the Archdiocese of Baltimore and beyond.

Our Mission

Catholic Review Media provides intergenerational communications that inform, teach, inspire and engage Catholics and all of good will in the mission of Christ through diverse forms of media.

Contact

Catholic Review
320 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
443-524-3150
mail@CatholicReview.org

 

Social Media

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent

  • Threatened harvest and daily harassment rattle West Bank’s last Christian village
  • Hispanic leaders learn to build a stronger ministry together
  • Florida Catholic bishops push back on state AG’s threat to participation in school voucher program
  • The day O.J. Brigance testified that every life has value
  • USCCB’s education director reflects on Catholic school landscape as school year begins
  • San Antonio priest laicized, excommunicated after calling Popes Francis and Leo ‘usurpers’
  • Pope offers prayers for Zimbabwe ferry disaster as death toll passes 90
  • Home viewing roundup: What’s available to stream and what’s on the horizon
  • Question Corner: What is the Catholic Church’s current stance on Freemasonry?

Search

Membership

Catholic Media Assocation

Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association

The Associated Church Press

© 2026 CATHOLIC REVIEW MEDIA, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED