• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
Catholic Review

Catholic Review

Inspiring the Archdiocese of Baltimore

Menu
  • Home
  • News
        • Local News
        • World News
        • Vatican News
        • Obituaries
        • Featured Video
        • En Español
        • Sports News
        • Official Clergy Assignments
        • Schools News
  • Commentary
        • Contributors
          • Question Corner
          • George Weigel
          • Elizabeth Scalia
          • Michael R. Heinlein
          • Effie Caldarola
          • Guest Commentary
        • CR Columnists
          • Archbishop William E. Lori
          • Rita Buettner
          • Christopher Gunty
          • George Matysek Jr.
          • Mark Viviano
          • Father Joseph Breighner
          • Father Collin Poston
          • Amen Columns
  • Entertainment
        • Events
        • Movie & Television Reviews
        • Arts & Culture
        • Books
        • Recipes
        • CR for Kids
  • About Us
        • Contact Us
        • Our History
        • Meet Our Staff
        • Photos to own
        • Shop
        • CR Media platforms
        • Electronic Edition
        • Subscribe
  • Advertising
  • Kids
  • Radio/Podcasts
        • Catholic Review Radio
        • Protagonistas de Fe
        • In God’s Image
  • News Tips
  • Subscribe
Father Marko Rupnik, a mosaic artist, is pictured in a 2015 photo in Rome. (OSV News photo/Cristian Gennari, KNA)

Vatican announces formal nomination of judges in Father Rupnik trial

October 13, 2025
By Cindy Wooden
Catholic News Service
Filed Under: News, Vatican, World News

VATICAN CITY (CNS) — Three months after Cardinal Víctor Manuel Fernández said the Vatican had identified the judges who would form the tribunal in the canonical trial against Slovenian Father Marko Rupnik on charges of spiritual and sexual abuse, the judges were formally nominated.

The Vatican published a communique Oct. 13 from the Dicastery for the Doctrine of the Faith, led by Cardinal Fernández, saying the five judges were nominated Oct. 9.

“The panel of judges is composed of women and clerics who are not members of the Dicastery for the Doctrine of the Faith and who hold no office within any of the dicasteries of the Roman Curia,” the note said.

“This has been done in order to better ensure, as in every judicial proceeding, the autonomy and independence of the aforesaid tribunal,” it said. The communique did not say when the trial would begin or if it already had begun.

Father Rupnik is an artist and former Jesuit accused of sexually, spiritually and psychologically abusing more than 20 women — many of them members of a religious community he co-founded — over a span of four decades.

The doctrinal office had dismissed the case against Father Rupnik in 2021 because the statute of limitations had expired on the allegations made by nine women. In October 2023, Pope Francis lifted the statute of limitations, authorizing a formal investigation amid public outcry and allegations of institutional cover-up.

After the original dismissal of the case, more women and one man came forward with allegations, and Father Rupnik was dismissed from the Jesuits for disobedience. He subsequently found a bishop in his native Slovenia who accepted him as a diocesan priest.

Cardinal Fernández had told reporters in early July that the judges had been identified but that some procedures, including the notification of the victims, needed completion before the trial could begin.

Read More Vatican News

Pope will find a living, growing Church in Madrid, Spanish cardinal says

What exactly is an encyclical?

The liturgy sustains the faithful, renewing them in their faith, mission, pope says

Pope Leo XIV urges confirmation candidates to ask Holy Spirit for gift of perseverance

Vance ‘looking forward to reading’ Pope Leo’s AI encyclical

Pope Leo XIV thanks Catholic Extension Society for supporting poor US dioceses

Copyright © 2025 Catholic News Service/U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops

Print Print

Primary Sidebar

Cindy Wooden

Click here to view all posts from this author

For the latest news delivered twice a week via email or text message, sign up to receive our free enewsletter.

| MOST POPULAR |

  • Bishop John H. Ricard, first Black bishop of Baltimore and Pensacola-Tallahassee, dies at 86
  • Archbishop Lori ordains 12 transitional deacons
  • Parish scarred by clergy abuse creates memorial for survivors
  • Monsignor Joseph Lizor, oldest priest in Baltimore archdiocese and former Edgemere pastor, dies at 94
  • Catholic high school students experience professions firsthand

| Latest Local News |

Monsignor Joseph Lizor, oldest priest in Baltimore archdiocese and former Edgemere pastor, dies at 94

Bishop John H. Ricard, first Black bishop of Baltimore and Pensacola-Tallahassee, dies at 86

Loyola receives $500,000 grant for York Road trust-building initiative 

Sacred Heart 6th grader wins Archdiocese of Baltimore Catholic Schools Spelling Bee

Catholic high school students experience professions firsthand

| Latest World News |

Pope will find a living, growing Church in Madrid, Spanish cardinal says

As Ebola epidemic spreads, Uganda postpones Martyrs Day celebrations

What exactly is an encyclical?

Border bishops have ‘grave concerns’ about $72 billion immigration enforcement funding package

The liturgy sustains the faithful, renewing them in their faith, mission, pope says

| Catholic Review Radio |

Footer

Our Vision

Real Life. Real Faith. 

Catholic Review Media communicates the Gospel and its impact on people’s lives in the Archdiocese of Baltimore and beyond.

Our Mission

Catholic Review Media provides intergenerational communications that inform, teach, inspire and engage Catholics and all of good will in the mission of Christ through diverse forms of media.

Contact

Catholic Review
320 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
443-524-3150
mail@CatholicReview.org

 

Social Media

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent

  • Monsignor Joseph Lizor, oldest priest in Baltimore archdiocese and former Edgemere pastor, dies at 94
  • Invitation to joy
  • The reality of the abortion pill
  • 1930 Films now in the public domain
  • Pope will find a living, growing Church in Madrid, Spanish cardinal says
  • As Ebola epidemic spreads, Uganda postpones Martyrs Day celebrations
  • Bishop John H. Ricard, first Black bishop of Baltimore and Pensacola-Tallahassee, dies at 86
  • What exactly is an encyclical?
  • Loyola receives $500,000 grant for York Road trust-building initiative 

Search

Membership

Catholic Media Assocation

Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association

The Associated Church Press

© 2026 CATHOLIC REVIEW MEDIA, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED