• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
Catholic Review

Catholic Review

Inspiring the Archdiocese of Baltimore

Menu
  • Home
  • News
        • Local News
        • World News
        • Vatican News
        • Obituaries
        • Featured Video
        • En Español
        • Sports News
        • Official Clergy Assignments
        • Schools News
  • Commentary
        • Contributors
          • Question Corner
          • George Weigel
          • Elizabeth Scalia
          • Michael R. Heinlein
          • Effie Caldarola
          • Guest Commentary
        • CR Columnists
          • Archbishop William E. Lori
          • Rita Buettner
          • Christopher Gunty
          • George Matysek Jr.
          • Mark Viviano
          • Father Joseph Breighner
          • Father Collin Poston
          • Robyn Barberry
          • Hanael Bianchi
          • Amen Columns
  • Entertainment
        • Events
        • Movie & Television Reviews
        • Arts & Culture
        • Books
        • Recipes
  • About Us
        • Contact Us
        • Our History
        • Meet Our Staff
        • Photos to own
        • Books/CDs/Prayer Cards
        • CR Media platforms
        • Electronic Edition
  • Advertising
  • Shop
        • Purchase Photos
        • Books/CDs/Prayer Cards
        • Magazine Subscriptions
        • Archdiocesan Directory
  • CR Radio
        • CR Radio
        • Protagonistas de Fe
        • In God’s Image
  • News Tips
  • Subscribe
Coming on the heels of a fiscal year that saw a 3 percent increase in parish offertory giving and increased support for the Archbishop’s Annual Appeal, the Archdiocese of Baltimore’s total operating income increased by nearly $2.2 million.

Archdiocese of Baltimore releases financial report for Fiscal Year 2015-2016

February 9, 2017
By George P. Matysek Jr.
Filed Under: Fiscal Services, Giving, Local News, News

Coming on the heels of a fiscal year that saw a 3 percent increase in parish offertory giving and increased support for the Archbishop’s Annual Appeal, the Archdiocese of Baltimore’s total operating income increased by nearly $2.2 million to $37.5 million in Fiscal Year 2015-16.

A downward turn in the market value of investments, however, combined with increased expenses related to retirement programs to produce an overall deficit of $19.7 million.

According to an archdiocesan annual financial report released in January, more than $14.2 million was contributed through parishes as a percentage of parishioners’ offertory donations (called the cathedraticum) to support archdiocesan ministries. Archdiocesan annual campaigns raised $11.4 million – a 17.5 percent increase from $9.7 million in the previous fiscal year.

“It’s always important to us that we are ensuring that we are proper stewards for the resources that we have,” said Bishop Adam J. Parker, moderator of the curia.

Bishop Parker said archdiocesan leaders give diligent attention to managing human resources properly and distributing grants in ways that “further the ministries that advance the kingdom of God.” He called the financial support Catholics have shown through their parishes and contributions to archdiocesan campaigns “a real positive sign of vitality and hope.”

William J. Baird III, chief financial officer for the archdiocese, noted that the archdiocese had a core operating surplus. Grants to sustain struggling Catholic schools and corrections in interest rates were among factors that contributed to the overall deficit, he said.

“Interest rates were lower,” he explained, “which means our liabilities and our pensions were higher.”

Baird added that the fiscal year closed June 30, right at the time financial markets took a big hit following the Brexit vote in Great Britain. Since then, he said, markets have recovered.

Baird said he evaluates archdiocesan investments at least monthly. A quarterly investment committee also evaluates the investments with the assistance of an advisor.

“We do stress tests on our pensions and stress tests on our investments to make sure that we’re matching our assets against our liabilities,” he said.

Bishop Parker and Baird credited the archdiocesan development department with helping parishes offer more than 100 programs to help them reach their stewardship goals and connect with donors in a more intentional way.

“A lot of the dollars collected in archdiocesan-wide campaigns get returned right back to the communities from where they come,” Baird said.

Among grants distributed in the last fiscal year, $10.3 million went to tuition assistance and subsidies; $328,000 for school building renovation; $500,000 for clergy-related programs; $3.3 million for Catholic Charities and $7.5 million in parish assistance.

In special collections held in parishes, Catholics showed the strongest support for collections related to the special care for diocesan priests ($342,953), retired religious ($342,457) and seminarians ($258,617).

The Catholic Center, which employs approximately 160, had a total operating expense of nearly $41 million, up from nearly $39 million in the previous fiscal year.

Print Print

Primary Sidebar

George P. Matysek Jr.

Click here to view all posts from this author

For the latest news delivered twice a week via email or text message, sign up to receive our free enewsletter.

| MOST POPULAR |

  • Carrie Prejean Boller removed from Religious Liberty Commission after antisemitism row

  • Deacon Jack Ames, Project Rachel volunteer and educator, dies at 74

  • Archdiocese of Baltimore couples share stories of love that lasts a lifetime 

  • Movie Review: ‘Crime 101’

  • Religious Liberty Commission tussles over antisemitism as lawsuit challenges its legality

| Latest Local News |

Radio Interview: Archbishop Lori’s pastoral letter: ‘In Charity and Truth’

St. Carlo Acutis Camping Retreat builds faith in the great outdoors 

Notre Dame Prep develops new commons area

In God’s Image podcast: Taylor Branch

Deacon Jack Ames, Project Rachel volunteer and educator, dies at 74

| Latest World News |

Latin Mass supporters say SSPX controversy has ‘thrown a hand grenade’ into TLM debate

A true parish welcomes everyone, spreads respect, harmony, pope says

Federal judge orders Catholic group be let into ICE facility on Ash Wednesday

Bishop Zurek resignation accepted; Cardinal DiNardo named as apostolic administrator of Amarillo

‘Operation Metro Surge’ in Minneapolis is ending but needs continue for immigrant families

| Catholic Review Radio |

Footer

Our Vision

Real Life. Real Faith. 

Catholic Review Media communicates the Gospel and its impact on people’s lives in the Archdiocese of Baltimore and beyond.

Our Mission

Catholic Review Media provides intergenerational communications that inform, teach, inspire and engage Catholics and all of good will in the mission of Christ through diverse forms of media.

Contact

Catholic Review
320 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
443-524-3150
mail@CatholicReview.org

 

Social Media

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent

  • Latin Mass supporters say SSPX controversy has ‘thrown a hand grenade’ into TLM debate
  • A true parish welcomes everyone, spreads respect, harmony, pope says
  • Radio Interview: Archbishop Lori’s pastoral letter: ‘In Charity and Truth’
  • Federal judge orders Catholic group be let into ICE facility on Ash Wednesday
  • Bishop Zurek resignation accepted; Cardinal DiNardo named as apostolic administrator of Amarillo
  • Bioethics of the brain: A conversation with a Catholic neurosurgeon
  • ‘Operation Metro Surge’ in Minneapolis is ending but needs continue for immigrant families
  • From discipleship to apostleship: SEEK promises encounter with Christ that continues
  • A season for blooming 

Search

Membership

Catholic Media Assocation

Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association

The Associated Church Press

© 2026 CATHOLIC REVIEW MEDIA, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED