• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
Catholic Review

Catholic Review

Inspiring the Archdiocese of Baltimore

Menu
  • Home
  • News
        • Local News
        • World News
        • Vatican News
        • Obituaries
        • Featured Video
        • En Español
        • Sports News
        • Official Clergy Assignments
        • Schools News
  • Commentary
        • Contributors
          • Question Corner
          • George Weigel
          • Elizabeth Scalia
          • Michael R. Heinlein
          • Effie Caldarola
          • Guest Commentary
        • CR Columnists
          • Archbishop William E. Lori
          • Rita Buettner
          • Christopher Gunty
          • George Matysek Jr.
          • Mark Viviano
          • Father Joseph Breighner
          • Father Collin Poston
          • Amen Columns
  • Entertainment
        • Events
        • Movie & Television Reviews
        • Arts & Culture
        • Books
        • Recipes
        • CR for Kids
  • About Us
        • Contact Us
        • Our History
        • Meet Our Staff
        • Photos to own
        • Shop
        • CR Media platforms
        • Electronic Edition
        • Subscribe
  • Advertising
  • Kids
  • Radio/Podcasts
        • Catholic Review Radio
        • Protagonistas de Fe
        • In God’s Image
  • News Tips
  • Subscribe
Cardinal Raymond L. Burke walks in the ninth national March for Life in Rome May 18, 2019. The Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe in La Crosse, Wis., reported Aug. 21, 2021, that the cardinal, who remained hospitalized for COVID-19, was removed from a ventilator, taken out of ICU and returned to a regular hospital room. (CNS photo/courtesy Marcia per la Vita)

Cardinal Burke remains hospitalized, but he’s off ventilator, out of ICU

August 23, 2021
By Catholic News Service
Catholic News Service
Filed Under: Coronavirus, Feature, News, Vatican, World News

LA CROSSE, Wis. (CNS) — Cardinal Raymond L. Burke remained hospitalized for COVID-19 but as of Aug. 21 he was taken off a ventilator that he had been on for some days and taken out of the ICU to be returned to a regular hospital room, according to the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe in La Crosse.

Father Paul N. Check, executive director of the shrine in Cardinal Burke’s home diocese, relayed an announcement about the cardinal from his family on the cardinal’s official Twitter account @cardinalrlburke and on the shrine website.

“Praised be Jesus Christ!” the priest said. “His sister spoke with him on the phone this morning, and His Eminence expressed his deep gratitude for the many prayers offered on his behalf.”

“His family asks that we continue those prayers for his full and speedy recovery,” the priest said, “and they are grateful to God for the exceptional medical care the cardinal has received from the dedicated doctors and nurses who continue to assist him.”

Father Check did not give the cardinal’s location. In an earlier statement, he said the cardinal’s family “does not plan to disclose his location” but thanked the faithful for prayers and rosaries being said for him.

“The Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe and the cardinal’s media will provide further updates as directed by his family,” Father Check’s Aug. 21 statement said.

In an Aug. 14 tweet, Cardinal Burke’s official Twitter account said the 73-year-old prelate had been admitted to the hospital with COVID-19 and was “being assisted by a ventilator. Doctors are encouraged by his progress.”

The cardinal had first tweeted Aug. 10: “Praised be Jesus Christ! I wish to inform you that I have recently tested positive for the COVID-19 virus. Thanks be to God, I am resting comfortably and receiving excellent medical care. Please pray for me as I begin my recovery. Let us trust in Divine Providence. God bless you.”

The cardinal has not made it public knowledge on whether he was vaccinated for the 2019 coronavirus.

The Vatican had started offering all Vatican residents, retirees and employees the vaccine developed by Pfizer and BioNTech mid-January 2021. The cardinal was eligible for the vaccine as a member of the College of Cardinals and a member of the Apostolic Signatura, which he led as prefect from 2008 until his resignation in 2014.

Cardinal Burke has expressed concerns about the COVID-19 vaccines, including that it is “never morally justified to develop a vaccine through the use of the cell lines of aborted fetuses. The thought of the introduction of such a vaccine into one’s body is rightly abhorrent.”

He also said, “Vaccination itself cannot be imposed, in a totalitarian manner, on citizens.”

In December, the Vatican Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, citing church teaching, said that when alternative vaccines are not available, it is morally acceptable to receive vaccines developed or tested using cell lines originating from aborted fetuses, in this case, including COVID-19 vaccines.

The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines did not use abortion-derived cell lines in developing or producing their vaccines, but they did in lab testing.

Cardinal Burke is a native of Richland Center, Wisconsin, in the La Crosse Diocese, and served as bishop of that diocese from 1995 to 2004, as archbishop of St. Louis from 2004 to 2008, and as prefect of the Vatican Apostolic Signature from 2008 to 2014.

While he was La Crosse’s bishop, Cardinal Burke founded the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe

While the cardinal often resides in Italy, he travels extensively and was in the United States at the time of sharing the news about contracting the virus.

Also see

Pope will find a living, growing Church in Madrid, Spanish cardinal says

What exactly is an encyclical?

The liturgy sustains the faithful, renewing them in their faith, mission, pope says

Pope Leo XIV urges confirmation candidates to ask Holy Spirit for gift of perseverance

Vance ‘looking forward to reading’ Pope Leo’s AI encyclical

Pope Leo XIV thanks Catholic Extension Society for supporting poor US dioceses

Radio Interview: Saying yes to God’s plan

Radio Interview: Why a world-class pianist gave up a promising career to become a priest

Radio Interview: Prolific Catholic author Emily Stimpson Chapman on wine, monasteries and the art of hospitality

Copyright © 2021 Catholic News Service/U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops

Print Print

Primary Sidebar

Catholic News Service

Click here to view all posts from this author

For the latest news delivered twice a week via email or text message, sign up to receive our free enewsletter.

| MOST POPULAR |

  • Bishop John H. Ricard, first Black bishop of Baltimore and Pensacola-Tallahassee, dies at 86
  • Archbishop Lori ordains 12 transitional deacons
  • Parish scarred by clergy abuse creates memorial for survivors
  • Monsignor Joseph Lizor, oldest priest in Baltimore archdiocese and former Edgemere pastor, dies at 94
  • Archdiocese of Baltimore names teachers of the year

| Latest Local News |

Monsignor Joseph Lizor, oldest priest in Baltimore archdiocese and former Edgemere pastor, dies at 94

Bishop John H. Ricard, first Black bishop of Baltimore and Pensacola-Tallahassee, dies at 86

Loyola receives $500,000 grant for York Road trust-building initiative 

Sacred Heart 6th grader wins Archdiocese of Baltimore Catholic Schools Spelling Bee

Catholic high school students experience professions firsthand

| Latest World News |

Pope will find a living, growing Church in Madrid, Spanish cardinal says

As Ebola epidemic spreads, Uganda postpones Martyrs Day celebrations

What exactly is an encyclical?

Border bishops have ‘grave concerns’ about $72 billion immigration enforcement funding package

The liturgy sustains the faithful, renewing them in their faith, mission, pope says

| Catholic Review Radio |

Footer

Our Vision

Real Life. Real Faith. 

Catholic Review Media communicates the Gospel and its impact on people’s lives in the Archdiocese of Baltimore and beyond.

Our Mission

Catholic Review Media provides intergenerational communications that inform, teach, inspire and engage Catholics and all of good will in the mission of Christ through diverse forms of media.

Contact

Catholic Review
320 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
443-524-3150
mail@CatholicReview.org

 

Social Media

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent

  • Monsignor Joseph Lizor, oldest priest in Baltimore archdiocese and former Edgemere pastor, dies at 94
  • Invitation to joy
  • The reality of the abortion pill
  • 1930 Films now in the public domain
  • Pope will find a living, growing Church in Madrid, Spanish cardinal says
  • As Ebola epidemic spreads, Uganda postpones Martyrs Day celebrations
  • Bishop John H. Ricard, first Black bishop of Baltimore and Pensacola-Tallahassee, dies at 86
  • What exactly is an encyclical?
  • Loyola receives $500,000 grant for York Road trust-building initiative 

Search

Membership

Catholic Media Assocation

Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association

The Associated Church Press

© 2026 CATHOLIC REVIEW MEDIA, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED