• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
Catholic Review

Catholic Review

Inspiring the Archdiocese of Baltimore

Menu
  • Home
  • News
        • Local News
        • World News
        • Vatican News
        • Obituaries
        • Featured Video
        • En Español
        • Sports News
        • Official Clergy Assignments
        • Schools News
  • Commentary
        • Contributors
          • Question Corner
          • George Weigel
          • Elizabeth Scalia
          • Michael R. Heinlein
          • Effie Caldarola
          • Guest Commentary
        • CR Columnists
          • Archbishop William E. Lori
          • Rita Buettner
          • Christopher Gunty
          • George Matysek Jr.
          • Mark Viviano
          • Father Joseph Breighner
          • Father Collin Poston
          • Robyn Barberry
          • Hanael Bianchi
          • Amen Columns
  • Entertainment
        • Events
        • Movie & Television Reviews
        • Arts & Culture
        • Books
        • Recipes
  • About Us
        • Contact Us
        • Our History
        • Meet Our Staff
        • Photos to own
        • Books/CDs/Prayer Cards
        • CR Media platforms
        • Electronic Edition
  • Advertising
  • Shop
        • Purchase Photos
        • Books/CDs/Prayer Cards
        • Magazine Subscriptions
        • Archdiocesan Directory
  • CR Radio
        • CR Radio
        • Protagonistas de Fe
        • In God’s Image
  • News Tips
  • Subscribe
A Legionaries of Christ seminarian is silhouetted as he attends a Mass in the chapel of Regina Apostolorum University in Rome in this June 7, 2013, file photo. The Legionaries of Christ released an updated abuse report, which covers new allegations of sexual abuse reported in 2020 as well as the names of four additional members with substantiated allegations made against them. (CNS photo/Paul Haring)

Legionaries’ updated abuse report names four more who worked in U.S.

March 23, 2021
By Cindy Wooden
Catholic News Service
Filed Under: Feature, News, Vatican, World News

ROME (CNS) — The Legionaries of Christ received seven new allegations of sexual abuse against members of the congregation in 2020 and released the names of four additional members who ministered in the United States and had substantiated sexual abuse allegations made against them.

The Legionaries’ 2020 “Annual Report: Truth, Justice, and Healing” was released March 23, updating information originally published in December 2019.

The update includes noting that, in 2020, the Legionaries began working with Eshma, an international organization that describes itself as “an independent service for victims of sexual abuse, abuse of power, or abuse of conscience in the Catholic Church.”

The 2020 report said the Legionaries has made “progress” on “a pathway to reparation and institutional reconciliation” with about 50 of the estimated 170 people who were abused as minors by members of the congregation, and it hoped to expand that outreach in 2021.

The 2019 report had said 33 of the 1,353 men ordained as priests of the congregation since its founding in 1941 had been credibly accused or convicted of sexual abuse of minors. The new report revised the number down to 27 after concluding: Two cases might not have involved minors; one was not a case of sexual abuse according to the victim who had reported misconduct; three cases have yet to been verified — “one is under police investigation; the other two, one living and one deceased, are under internal verification.”

Seven new cases were reported to the Legionaries in 2020, the report said. They are not included in the 27 confirmed cases either because the investigations or canonical trials are ongoing or, in one case, because an “external professional third-party” and then a review board, did not find evidence to substantiate the allegation.

In line with the common practice of dioceses and religious orders in the United States, the Legionaries in 2019 published the names of four priests who had ministered in the United States and had substantiated allegations of sexual abuse made against them.

The 2020 report adds four names: Jeremiah Michael Spillane, who left the congregation in 1998; Oscar Juan Turrión Pablos, who left the Legionaries of Christ and the priesthood in 2017; David Consoli, who worked at a Legionaries’ school in New Hampshire in the mid-1990s but left the congregation before ordination; and Father Timothy Meehan, who admitted to having a sexual relationship with a person “under 18, but of the age of consent.” Father Meehan is now incardinated and serving as a pastor in the Italian Diocese of Bolzano-Bressanone.

The report also said that 16 priests who committed abuse remain in the Legionaries of Christ; 15 of them “do not have public priestly ministry,” while one “has restricted ministry which excludes ministry with minors.” All of the cases, the report said, had been “submitted to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith.”

The Legionaries of Christ were founded in Mexico by Father Marcial Maciel Degollado, against whom allegations of sexual abuse and misconduct were raised frequently for decades — going back at least to 1954. However, it was not until 2010 that the Vatican announced its findings that Father Maciel, who died in 2008, had been guilty of “seriously and objectively immoral behavior” and “real crimes.”

Pope Benedict XVI appointed a cardinal as pontifical delegate to the Legionaries in 2010 and the congregation began a process of institutional reform and changes to adopt measures to ensure the protection of children and to responsibly handle allegations of abuse against members.

Also see

Head of Ukrainian Catholic Church meets with Pope Leo, calls Ukraine ‘wounded but alive’

Pope Leo appoints Vincentian sister as new deputy of Vatican press office

Pope Leo XIV explains why Catholics fast during Lent

Pope supports solidarity with immigrants in U.S.; Catholics must stand together, archbishop says

Cardinal Fernández proposes path of theological dialogue with SSPX toward full communion

Cuban bishops postpone ‘ad limina’ visit amid fuel shortage crisis

Copyright © 2021 Catholic News Service/U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops

Print Print

Primary Sidebar

Cindy Wooden

Click here to view all posts from this author

For the latest news delivered twice a week via email or text message, sign up to receive our free enewsletter.

| MOST POPULAR |

  • Carrie Prejean Boller removed from Religious Liberty Commission after antisemitism row

  • Deacon Jack Ames, Project Rachel volunteer and educator, dies at 74

  • In pastoral letter, Archbishop Lori calls for renewed political culture 

  • Movie Review: ‘Crime 101’

  • Archdiocese of Baltimore couples share stories of love that lasts a lifetime 

| Latest Local News |

Notre Dame Prep develops new commons area

In God’s Image podcast: Taylor Branch

Deacon Jack Ames, Project Rachel volunteer and educator, dies at 74

Archdiocese of Baltimore couples share stories of love that lasts a lifetime 

Little Sisters of Poor ask for gifts of a little bling to help others 

| Latest World News |

Head of Ukrainian Catholic Church meets with Pope Leo, calls Ukraine ‘wounded but alive’

Ave Maria University battles measles outbreak

Catechist, pregnant wife among kidnapped in latest anti-Christian attacks in Nigeria

Pope Leo appoints Vincentian sister as new deputy of Vatican press office

Pope Leo XIV explains why Catholics fast during Lent

| Catholic Review Radio |

Footer

Our Vision

Real Life. Real Faith. 

Catholic Review Media communicates the Gospel and its impact on people’s lives in the Archdiocese of Baltimore and beyond.

Our Mission

Catholic Review Media provides intergenerational communications that inform, teach, inspire and engage Catholics and all of good will in the mission of Christ through diverse forms of media.

Contact

Catholic Review
320 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
443-524-3150
mail@CatholicReview.org

 

Social Media

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent

  • Head of Ukrainian Catholic Church meets with Pope Leo, calls Ukraine ‘wounded but alive’
  • Movie Review: ‘Crime 101’
  • Ave Maria University battles measles outbreak
  • Catechist, pregnant wife among kidnapped in latest anti-Christian attacks in Nigeria
  • Pope Leo appoints Vincentian sister as new deputy of Vatican press office
  • Notre Dame Prep develops new commons area
  • In God’s Image podcast: Taylor Branch
  • Pope Leo XIV explains why Catholics fast during Lent
  • European bishops appeal for unity, warn against ‘idolatry’ of nationalism

Search

Membership

Catholic Media Assocation

Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association

The Associated Church Press

© 2026 CATHOLIC REVIEW MEDIA, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED