• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
Catholic Review

Catholic Review

Inspiring the Archdiocese of Baltimore

Menu
  • Home
  • News
        • Local News
        • World News
        • Vatican News
        • Obituaries
        • Featured Video
        • En Español
        • Sports News
        • Official Clergy Assignments
        • Schools News
  • Commentary
        • Contributors
          • Question Corner
          • George Weigel
          • Elizabeth Scalia
          • Michael R. Heinlein
          • Effie Caldarola
          • Guest Commentary
        • CR Columnists
          • Archbishop William E. Lori
          • Rita Buettner
          • Christopher Gunty
          • George Matysek Jr.
          • Mark Viviano
          • Father Joseph Breighner
          • Father Collin Poston
          • Robyn Barberry
          • Hanael Bianchi
          • Amen Columns
  • Entertainment
        • Events
        • Movie & Television Reviews
        • Arts & Culture
        • Books
        • Recipes
  • About Us
        • Contact Us
        • Our History
        • Meet Our Staff
        • Photos to own
        • Books/CDs/Prayer Cards
        • CR Media platforms
        • Electronic Edition
  • Advertising
  • Shop
        • Purchase Photos
        • Books/CDs/Prayer Cards
        • Magazine Subscriptions
        • Archdiocesan Directory
  • CR Radio
        • CR Radio
        • Protagonistas de Fe
        • In God’s Image
  • News Tips
  • Subscribe
A file photo shows the exterior of the Cathedral of the Madeleine in Salt Lake City. A man was arrested May 26, 2024, after police say he randomly attacked people at the cathedral during morning Mass. The incident and others at Catholic churches in the U.S. and Canada in recent months point to the need for parishes to implement more robust security measures, say security experts. (OSV News photo/courtesy Intermountain Catholic)

Man arrested outside Salt Lake City cathedral, charged with assault

June 11, 2024
By Marie Mischel
OSV News
Filed Under: News, World News

SALT LAKE CITY (OSV News) — Just as the 11 a.m. Sunday Mass in the Cathedral of the Madeleine got underway May 26, Father Martin Diaz noted that “some kind of commotion” was occurring in the back.

He stopped the Mass and asked participants to remain in their seats because recently there had been two medical emergencies during services at the cathedral.

Because of those situations, “I think I was on hyper alert to just ask people to sit down,” said Father Diaz, the cathedral rector. However, after a few moments, “Mass continued as normal.”

Afterward, he said, he learned that Willie Green, the cathedral sexton, twice asked a man who was sitting on the floor with his feet in the aisle to sit a pew. The man stood up and swung a bamboo cane at Green, who ducked, and the cane hit another cathedral employee in the forehead without much force, Father Diaz said.

At that point, several parishioners escorted the man outside and restrained him until the police arrived and arrested him, Father Diaz said, adding, “The video outside shows eight to 10 men surrounding the man. The police arrived rather quickly.”

According to the “affidavit of probable cause” from the Salt Lake City Police Department, the suspect “struck two victims with a bamboo wooden sword. He then struck a third victim with his fists, knocking the victim’s glasses off and breaking them. … There is no known motive and (the suspect) is not known at all by the victims involved in this case.”

The suspect resisted arrest, according to the affidavit, which listed among the charges aggravated assault and interfering with a peace officer.

Father Diaz said there was no damage to the cathedral and no one reported any injury to him.

The priest told the Intermountain Catholic, Salt Lake City’s diocesan newspaper, that he has been at the cathedral for 11 years “and this is the first time that anything like this … has ever happened.”

The assault at the Salt Lake City cathedral is one of the latest incidents occurring at Catholic churches in the U.S. and Canada, among them a Texas priest being pepper-sprayed while hearing confessions in April and 10 protesters disrupting the Easter Vigil Mass at St. Patrick’s Cathedral in New York March 30.

These incidents may vary in their severity, but all highlight the need for parishes to implement more robust security measures, experts told OSV News in an April interview.

In security industry parlance, churches and other religious structures are known as “soft targets” — public, civilian spaces that are easily accessible and typically have limited security measures. A growing recognition of that vulnerability has led to initiatives such as the Department of Homeland Security’s house of worship protection program and the annual Church Security Essentials Conference, which took place April 25-26 in Austin, Texas.

Preserving both pastoral welcome and commonsense security in places of prayer can be a delicate balance, said Craig Gundry of Critical Intervention Services, a Tampa, Florida-based security consulting firm with extensive experience in church security.

“Churches tend to be very open communities, and that’s desirable. That’s what we want to create,” Gundry told OSV News. “And that obviously presents some challenges from a security perspective.”

Gundry said that his firm has particularly focused on the details of “improving physical security for churches while maintaining an environment that is conducive to community and to spiritual celebration.”

In addition to developing emergency response policies and procedures, assembling a “church security team (is) very valuable,” Gundry said.

“They in essence serve as the guardians of the flock … observing and monitoring for potential threats,” he said.

Contributing to this story was Gina Christian, a multimedia reporter for OSV News.

Read More World News

Latin Mass supporters say SSPX controversy has ‘thrown a hand grenade’ into TLM debate

A true parish welcomes everyone, spreads respect, harmony, pope says

Federal judge orders Catholic group be let into ICE facility on Ash Wednesday

Bishop Zurek resignation accepted; Cardinal DiNardo named as apostolic administrator of Amarillo

‘Operation Metro Surge’ in Minneapolis is ending but needs continue for immigrant families

From discipleship to apostleship: SEEK promises encounter with Christ that continues

Copyright © 2024 OSV News

Print Print

Primary Sidebar

Marie Mischel

Marie Mischel is editor of the Intermountain Catholic, the newspaper for the Diocese of Salt Lake City.

Click here to view all posts from this author

For the latest news delivered twice a week via email or text message, sign up to receive our free enewsletter.

| MOST POPULAR |

  • Carrie Prejean Boller removed from Religious Liberty Commission after antisemitism row

  • Deacon Jack Ames, Project Rachel volunteer and educator, dies at 74

  • Archdiocese of Baltimore couples share stories of love that lasts a lifetime 

  • Movie Review: ‘Crime 101’

  • Religious Liberty Commission tussles over antisemitism as lawsuit challenges its legality

| Latest Local News |

Mount St. Joseph’s BJ Ransom selected as BCL Player of Year; league unveils new academic honors

Radio Interview: Archbishop Lori’s pastoral letter: ‘In Charity and Truth’

St. Carlo Acutis Camping Retreat builds faith in the great outdoors 

Notre Dame Prep develops new commons area

In God’s Image podcast: Taylor Branch

| Latest World News |

Latin Mass supporters say SSPX controversy has ‘thrown a hand grenade’ into TLM debate

A true parish welcomes everyone, spreads respect, harmony, pope says

Federal judge orders Catholic group be let into ICE facility on Ash Wednesday

Bishop Zurek resignation accepted; Cardinal DiNardo named as apostolic administrator of Amarillo

‘Operation Metro Surge’ in Minneapolis is ending but needs continue for immigrant families

| Catholic Review Radio |

Footer

Our Vision

Real Life. Real Faith. 

Catholic Review Media communicates the Gospel and its impact on people’s lives in the Archdiocese of Baltimore and beyond.

Our Mission

Catholic Review Media provides intergenerational communications that inform, teach, inspire and engage Catholics and all of good will in the mission of Christ through diverse forms of media.

Contact

Catholic Review
320 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
443-524-3150
mail@CatholicReview.org

 

Social Media

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent

  • Mount St. Joseph’s BJ Ransom selected as BCL Player of Year; league unveils new academic honors
  • Latin Mass supporters say SSPX controversy has ‘thrown a hand grenade’ into TLM debate
  • A true parish welcomes everyone, spreads respect, harmony, pope says
  • Radio Interview: Archbishop Lori’s pastoral letter: ‘In Charity and Truth’
  • Federal judge orders Catholic group be let into ICE facility on Ash Wednesday
  • Bishop Zurek resignation accepted; Cardinal DiNardo named as apostolic administrator of Amarillo
  • Bioethics of the brain: A conversation with a Catholic neurosurgeon
  • ‘Operation Metro Surge’ in Minneapolis is ending but needs continue for immigrant families
  • From discipleship to apostleship: SEEK promises encounter with Christ that continues

Search

Membership

Catholic Media Assocation

Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association

The Associated Church Press

© 2026 CATHOLIC REVIEW MEDIA, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED