• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
Catholic Review

Catholic Review

Inspiring the Archdiocese of Baltimore

Menu
  • Home
  • News
        • Local News
        • World News
        • Vatican News
        • Obituaries
        • Featured Video
        • En Español
        • Sports News
        • Official Clergy Assignments
        • Schools News
  • Commentary
        • Contributors
          • Question Corner
          • George Weigel
          • Elizabeth Scalia
          • Michael R. Heinlein
          • Effie Caldarola
          • Guest Commentary
        • CR Columnists
          • Archbishop William E. Lori
          • Rita Buettner
          • Christopher Gunty
          • George Matysek Jr.
          • Mark Viviano
          • Father Joseph Breighner
          • Father Collin Poston
          • Amen Columns
  • Entertainment
        • Events
        • Movie & Television Reviews
        • Arts & Culture
        • Books
        • Recipes
        • CR for Kids
  • About Us
        • Contact Us
        • Our History
        • Meet Our Staff
        • Photos to own
        • Shop
        • CR Media platforms
        • Electronic Edition
        • Subscribe
  • Advertising
  • Shop
        • Purchase Photos
        • Books/CDs/Prayer Cards
        • Magazine Subscriptions
        • Archdiocesan Directory
  • Radio/Podcasts
        • Catholic Review Radio
        • Protagonistas de Fe
        • In God’s Image
  • News Tips
  • Subscribe
Paul Jan Zudnik, a victim-survivor and head of the mediation committee representing all abuse survivors, and Archbishop William E. Lori, host a joint press conference regarding claims made by child sexual abuse survivors in the Archdiocese of Baltimore bankruptcy filing July 8, 2024, in Baltimore. (Kevin J. Parks/CR Staff)

Mediation framework set for archdiocesan bankruptcy

July 31, 2024
By Christopher Gunty
Catholic Review
Filed Under: 2023 Attorney General's Report, Bankruptcy, Child & Youth Protection, Feature, Local News, News

The parties in the Archdiocese of Baltimore’s Chapter 11 bankruptcy have agreed to a framework for mediation in the case. 

Judge Michele M. Harner, who oversees the process, signed the order July 29, which resulted after the three sides came to an agreement on the structure. The agreement includes the archdiocese as the debtor; the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors, representing victim survivors who have claims in the case; and insurance companies that may have held policies for the archdiocese, its parishes and schools during the time period in question.

During a brief court hearing via teleconference July 29, Harner said she was pleased to hear that the sides had hashed out their concerns. “I think mediation has the best success when everyone is in agreement. I’m pleased that we reached a consensus,” she said.

Edwin Caldie, an attorney representing the survivors’ committee, said during the hearing that his clients still had a significant disagreement with the insurers on implications of a recent Supreme Court case on the archdiocese’s Chapter 11, but that “pragmatism won out” and he believes the plan to move to mediation works best.

Harner continued to emphasize that the sooner mediation can begin, the better it will be, since a protracted process adds time and legal costs and cuts into the amount of a settlement pool that could be available to survivors. She kept the hearing to under 15 minutes, with the admonition that if major issues arose, the court could schedule another hearing quickly.

The judge’s order names two mediators: Robert J. Faris and Brian J. Nash, who had been nominated in May by the archdiocese and the survivors’ committee. A third mediator will be selected by the insurers, who have until Aug. 5 to submit the name to the judge.

Faris is a sitting bankruptcy judge in the District of Hawaii and recently served as mediator in the successful resolution of the Archbishop of Agaña’s (Guam) Chapter 11 bankruptcy case. Nash has been a practicing attorney since 1975 and been involved in mediating more than 2,000 cases involving claims of medical negligence and sexual abuse.

According to the order, since Faris will be performing judicial duties, he can be reimbursed only for out-of-pocket expenses related to the mediation, but no other fees. As the debtor, the archdiocese will pay Faris’ expenses, as well as reasonable fees and costs for Nash. The archdiocese and the insurers will share the costs for the third mediator.

The order sets aside an adversarial case the archdiocese filed against its insurers, with the stipulation that if the mediation does not work out, the archdiocese and the survivors’ committee can bring a new adversary proceeding.

Read More 2023 Attorney General's Report

House approves bill limiting payments to victims of child sexual abuse

Maryland legislators consider reducing state’s financial responsibility for child sex abuse

Maryland Supreme Court rules 2023 Child Victims Act is constitutional

Progress toward mediation in archdiocesan bankruptcy case

Survivors committee and archdiocese discuss next steps in bankruptcy case

Deadline arrives for claims in Archdiocese of Baltimore’s bankruptcy case

Copyright © 2024 Catholic Review Media

Print Print

Primary Sidebar

Christopher Gunty

Click here to view all posts from this author

For the latest news delivered twice a week via email or text message, sign up to receive our free enewsletter.

| MOST POPULAR |

  • Archdiocese of Baltimore files new proposed plan for Chapter 11 reorganization
  • Pope Leo XIV’s encyclical on artificial intelligence is coming: Here’s what he has said on AI so far
  • Brazilian nun drowns while trying to save fellow sister in Sicily
  • Archbishop Lori ordains 12 transitional deacons
  • Faith at bat: Failure, injury, pressure shape high school athletes

| Latest Local News |

Catholic high school students experience professions firsthand

Archbishop Lori ordains 12 transitional deacons

Radio Interview: Saying yes to God’s plan

Archdiocese of Baltimore names teachers of the year

Archbishop Lori recognized with new award

| Latest World News |

AI cannot replace humanity, conscience, truth, Irish archbishop says

Pope Leo XIV thanks Catholic Extension Society for supporting poor US dioceses

Pope Leo XIV to publish encyclical on artificial intelligence May 25

America 250 occasion to reflect on equality as a God-given right, Bishop Barron says

Pope approves creation of interdicasterial commission on AI

| Catholic Review Radio |

Footer

Our Vision

Real Life. Real Faith. 

Catholic Review Media communicates the Gospel and its impact on people’s lives in the Archdiocese of Baltimore and beyond.

Our Mission

Catholic Review Media provides intergenerational communications that inform, teach, inspire and engage Catholics and all of good will in the mission of Christ through diverse forms of media.

Contact

Catholic Review
320 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
443-524-3150
mail@CatholicReview.org

 

Social Media

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent

  • Catholic high school students experience professions firsthand
  • AI cannot replace humanity, conscience, truth, Irish archbishop says
  • I’m OK, you’re OK…well we’re mostly OK (on springtime transitions)
  • Pope Leo XIV thanks Catholic Extension Society for supporting poor US dioceses
  • Question Corner: Are parish priests allowed to do confirmations?
  • Archbishop Lori ordains 12 transitional deacons
  • Radio Interview: Saying yes to God’s plan
  • Archdiocese of Baltimore names teachers of the year
  • Archbishop Lori recognized with new award

Search

Membership

Catholic Media Assocation

Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association

The Associated Church Press

© 2026 CATHOLIC REVIEW MEDIA, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED