• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
Catholic Review

Catholic Review

Inspiring the Archdiocese of Baltimore

Menu
  • Home
  • News
        • Local News
        • World News
        • Vatican News
        • Obituaries
        • Featured Video
        • En Español
        • Sports News
        • Official Clergy Assignments
        • Schools News
  • Commentary
        • Contributors
          • Question Corner
          • George Weigel
          • Elizabeth Scalia
          • Michael R. Heinlein
          • Effie Caldarola
          • Guest Commentary
        • CR Columnists
          • Archbishop William E. Lori
          • Rita Buettner
          • Christopher Gunty
          • George Matysek Jr.
          • Mark Viviano
          • Father Joseph Breighner
          • Father Collin Poston
          • Amen Columns
  • Entertainment
        • Events
        • Movie & Television Reviews
        • Arts & Culture
        • Books
        • Recipes
        • CR Kids
  • About Us
        • Contact Us
        • Our History
        • Meet Our Staff
        • Photos to own
        • Shop
        • CR Media platforms
        • Electronic Edition
        • Subscribe
  • Advertising
  • Kids
  • News Tips
  • Radio/Podcasts
        • Catholic Review Radio
        • Protagonistas de Fe
        • In God’s Image
        • “In Charity and Truth” with Archbishop William E. Lori
  • Subscribe
A crucifix is seen as people pray during a Mass at the cathedral in Nice, France, Oct. 10, 2021. The French bishops' conference said it would work on necessary "measures and reforms" after a recent report from an independent commission estimated 330,000 children had been abused by Catholic priests or church employees in France since the 1950s (CNS photo/Eric Gaillard, Reuters)

Seal of confession a topic of debate after French abuse report

October 15, 2021
By Catholic News Service
Catholic News Service
Filed Under: Feature, News, Religious Freedom, World News

PARIS (CNS) — Church and government leaders in France are at odds over whether priests should be required to report the abuse of minors if they learn about it in the sacrament of confession.

Archbishop Eric de Moulins-Beaufort, president of the French bishops’ conference, and Interior Minister Gérald Darmanin met to discuss the issue Oct. 12, a week after the release of a report by an independent commission that estimated 330,000 children had been abused by Catholic priests or church employees in France since the 1950s.

A confessional on which is written: “M. the Priest” is pictured in a Catholic church near Nantes, France, Oct. 5, 2021. Church and government leaders in France are at odds over whether priests should be required to report the abuse of minors if they learn about it in the sacrament of confession. (CNS photo/Stephane Mahe, Reuters)

At issue is whether French law takes precedence over the seal of confession, a sacred practice in which a confessor does not reveal what is told to him during a confession.

One of the recommendations in the commission’s report urged the church to “send a clear message from the church authorities to penitents taking confession and to the faithful that the seal of confession may not derogate from the obligation provided for by the (French) Criminal Code … to report to the judicial and administrative authorities all cases of sexual violence inflicted on a child or a vulnerable person.”

Darmanin told legislators Oct. 12 that he had reaffirmed “the primacy of French laws” during his meeting with the archbishop and said Catholic confessional secrecy could not be “used as a justification for not denouncing sexual crimes against children.”

“The secret of confession has operated for 200 years in our law and is recognized as a professional secret, as with doctors and lawyers — but there is an exception for crimes committed against children under age 15,” added the interior minister, who also heads the government’s department for religions.

After the meeting, the French bishops’ conference issued a statement saying: “The scale of violence and sexual assault on minors revealed by this report requires the church to reexamine its practices in light of reality. Work is therefore needed to reconcile the nature of confession with the necessity of protecting children.” The bishops’ conference said it would work on necessary “measures and reforms” in line with the report’s recommendations at its upcoming Nov. 3-8 plenary.

In a note approved by Pope Francis and published by the Vatican in mid-2019, the Apostolic Penitentiary affirmed the absolute secrecy of everything said in confession and called on priests to defend it at all costs, even at the cost of their lives.

Just after the commission’s report was released, Archbishop de Moulins-Beaufort told France Info public radio that confessional secrecy opened up “a space of free speech before God” and should be considered “stronger than the laws of the republic.” After his remarks drew angry reaction from government officials and the media, the archbishop said he recognized his interview remarks had been “clumsy” and apologized to “victims and those saddened or shocked” by the subsequent controversy.

Pope Francis described the report’s publication as a “moment of shame” at his Oct. 6 Rome general audience. He is to meet Darmanin and French Prime Minister Jean Castex in Rome Oct. 18.

see more

Court battle continues as lawmaker intervenes to save pilgrimage site from Trump seizure

El-Obeid: Brave witness of the Sudanese Church in a city under siege

Canada’s Catholics await high court decision on religious liberty and Bill 21

Catholic priest killed in Central African Republic remembered as a messenger of peace

Ezra Jin Mingri, Chinese prisoner of conscience, released to US

US condemns detention of Nicaraguan bishop as Church awaits proof of his safety

Copyright © 2021 Catholic News Service/U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops

Print Print

Primary Sidebar

Catholic News Service

Click here to view all posts from this author

For the latest news delivered twice a week via email or text message, sign up to receive our free enewsletter.

| MOST POPULAR |

  • Archbishop William E. Lori announces appointments, including pastor, special ministry and deacons
  • Archdiocese of Baltimore regroups parishes into eight regions
  • Fire damages building used for youth activities at St. Joseph, Fullerton
  • Pope Leo night at White Sox baseball park maxes out stadium capacity
  • Nearly 1,500 guns collected since 2023 as Archdiocese of Baltimore’s buyback continues to grow

| Latest Local News |

Values, service highlight nursing career spanning 59 years

Fire damages building used for youth activities at St. Joseph, Fullerton

Redemptorists’ Baltimore Province will become part of new North American province

Archdiocese of Baltimore regroups parishes into eight regions

Archbishop William E. Lori announces appointments, including pastor, special ministry and deacons

| Latest World News |

World cannot remain indifferent to suffering of migrant children, pope says

Vatican City mints new coins featuring face of Pope Leo XIV

‘Strange Land’: The Hillbilly Thomists drop new album while on tour

Pope Leo XIV offers prayers, financial assistance to disaster-stricken Colombia

Supreme Court sets date for case over Catholic preschools and Colorado’s ‘universal’ program

| Catholic Review Radio |

Footer

Our Vision

Real Life. Real Faith. 

Catholic Review Media communicates the Gospel and its impact on people’s lives in the Archdiocese of Baltimore and beyond.

Our Mission

Catholic Review Media provides intergenerational communications that inform, teach, inspire and engage Catholics and all of good will in the mission of Christ through diverse forms of media.

Contact

Catholic Review
320 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
443-524-3150
mail@CatholicReview.org

 

Social Media

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent

  • Values, service highlight nursing career spanning 59 years
  • World cannot remain indifferent to suffering of migrant children, pope says
  • Vatican City mints new coins featuring face of Pope Leo XIV
  • ‘Strange Land’: The Hillbilly Thomists drop new album while on tour
  • Pope Leo XIV offers prayers, financial assistance to disaster-stricken Colombia
  • Supreme Court sets date for case over Catholic preschools and Colorado’s ‘universal’ program
  • Fire damages building used for youth activities at St. Joseph, Fullerton
  • Redemptorists’ Baltimore Province will become part of new North American province
  • Movie Review: ‘Paw Patrol: The Dino Movie’

Search

Membership

Catholic Media Assocation

Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association

The Associated Church Press

© 2026 CATHOLIC REVIEW MEDIA, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED