• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
Catholic Review

Catholic Review

Inspiring the Archdiocese of Baltimore

Menu
  • Home
  • News
        • Local News
        • World News
        • Vatican News
        • Obituaries
        • Featured Video
        • En Español
        • Sports News
        • Official Clergy Assignments
        • Schools News
  • Commentary
        • Contributors
          • Question Corner
          • George Weigel
          • Elizabeth Scalia
          • Michael R. Heinlein
          • Effie Caldarola
          • Guest Commentary
        • CR Columnists
          • Archbishop William E. Lori
          • Rita Buettner
          • Christopher Gunty
          • George Matysek Jr.
          • Mark Viviano
          • Father Joseph Breighner
          • Father Collin Poston
          • Amen Columns
  • Entertainment
        • Events
        • Movie & Television Reviews
        • Arts & Culture
        • Books
        • Recipes
        • CR for Kids
  • About Us
        • Contact Us
        • Our History
        • Meet Our Staff
        • Photos to own
        • Shop
        • CR Media platforms
        • Electronic Edition
        • Subscribe
  • Advertising
  • Kids
  • Radio/Podcasts
        • Catholic Review Radio
        • Protagonistas de Fe
        • In God’s Image
  • News Tips
  • Subscribe
Archbishop James F. Checchio is seen in a file photo. Outgoing chairman of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops' Committee on Budget and Finance, Archbishop Checchio said in a Nov. 11, 2025, report at the USCCB's fall plenary assembly that the conference has a "balanced budget" and is on solid financial footing for now, but priorities and resources are under review. The prelate was named coadjutor archbishop of New Orleans Sept. 24. He was the bishop of Metuchen, N.J. (CNS photo/Gregory A. Shemitz)

USCCB has ‘balanced budget’ for now, but priorities, resources under review

November 12, 2025
By Gina Christian
OSV News
Filed Under: Bishops, News, World News

The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops is on solid financial footing, having restructured some operations while weathering the end of key federal refugee resettlement contracts — but changes in resource allocations may be on the horizon, said the conference’s budget chair.

Archbishop James F. Checchio, outgoing chairman of the USCCB’s Committee on Budget and Finance, delivered a Nov. 11 update to the bishops during their annual fall plenary meeting, which took place Nov. 10-13 in Baltimore.

While “the budget for 2026 restricted funds looks very different than in the past” due to the loss of millions in federal funds for refugee resettlement, “the budget is balanced with a surplus of $3.2 million,” largely due to reorganization and cutbacks in the USCCB’s Catholic Campaign for Human Development, said Archbishop Checchio, who was named coadjutor archbishop of New Orleans Sept. 24. Until the appointment, he had headed the Diocese of Metuchen, New Jersey.

In his presentation — which preceded a vote approving the conference’s upcoming budget — Archbishop Checchio said the conference’s third-quarter year-to-date rate of return on long-term investments was 13.6%.

He noted that earlier in 2025, the USCCB “had to withdraw $15 million” from those long-term investments — specifically, to cover the loss of revenue from longstanding cooperative agreements with the federal government for the resettlement of vetted refugees and unaccompanied minors.

The Trump administration’s termination of the contracts — part of hardline shifts on immigration policies — ended the USCCB’s four-decade partnership with the congressionally established U.S. Refugee Assistance Program. The domestic initiative, created in 1980, enabled refugees vetted and approved by the federal government to be legally resettled in the U.S. The USCCB’s Migration and Refugee Services was one of 10 national resettlement agencies working with USRAP.

The USCCB filed suit in response and in February laid off approximately one third of its MRS staff.

The conference said it would not renew its cooperative agreements with the federal government regarding children’s services and refugee support, as such arrangements had become “untenable.”

However, Archbishop Checchio said in his presentation, the USCCB has since been able to return the $15 million withdrawn from its long-term investments, “once we received that money.”

Archbishop Checchio highlighted the financial results for the year ending Dec. 31, 2024, saying that “there was a $35.5 million positive change in our net assets.”

The archbishop added he was “particularly pleased to report” — as Bishop Timothy C. Senior of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, chairman of the USCCB’s Subcommittee on the Catholic Campaign for Human Development, had said Nov. 10 — that “CCHD’s net asset balance at the end of 2024 was a positive $1.4 million,” compared to the negative $2.8 million it saw at the conclusion of 2023.

“We certainly want to commend him and the committee for their difficult work of making changes and producing those good results throughout this year,” said Archbishop Checchio.

Among those changes were 2024 restructuring and layoffs of an unspecified number of employees in the USCCB’s Department of Justice, Peace, and Human Development, of which the CCHD is a part.

But “the good news notwithstanding, said Archbishop Checchio, “my annual report spoke to a challenge.”

“Succinctly, times have changed, but our physical structure has not,” said Archbishop Checchio. “And the way we do business largely remains the same.”

He pointed out that since the restructuring of the USCCB’s communications, justice and peace, and more recently its migrant and refugee services divisions, the cost to maintain the USCCB’s “underutilized headquarter building” in Washington “was roughly $4.4 million, which includes insurance but not capital projects.”

Archbishop Checchio noted that the USCCB is now evaluating its “priorities and plans” to calibrate resources accordingly.

“What do we want the conference to do? That will determine what we need space-wise — to know what we’re trying to have, what we need to supply for our mission,” he said.

“Even if we do nothing and continue to just use half or less than half of the USCCB headquarters for our operations, we can fund our operations and balance our budget by taking a 4% annual draw from our unrestricted long-term investments,” said the archbishop.

However, he added, “the question obviously arises, is that a wise use of our revenues, to fund the building?”

The archbishop explained that “historically, the long-term investments have only been used when necessary and to the extent that they are needed.”

The 2026 budget relies on a $1.3 million draw from the long-term investments, as well as monies set aside “for the closing out of our terminated pension plan,” he said.

But “this is just a one-year solution and not long-term,” the archbishop added.

As a result, the conference “has much to do” over the next year “to figure it out.”

In the meantime, he said, the 2026 budget is balanced, and represents “neither a surplus nor a deficit.”

Read More Bishops

USCCB campaign bolsters Catholic media as ‘critical need’ for its evangelizing mission intensifies

Pope Leo XIV names former missionary in Cuba as new bishop of Venice, Florida

Pope Leo XIV reshapes Washington, W.Va. leadership; two bishops have Baltimore ties

USCCB president asks Catholics to ‘pray ardently’ for an end to war with Iran

Bishops’ pro-life chair backs longshot bill to revoke mifepristone’s FDA approval

Bishop Murphy of Rockville Centre recalled for ‘joyful witness’ of pastoral leadership

Copyright © 2025 OSV News

Print Print

Primary Sidebar

Gina Christian

Click here to view all posts from this author

For the latest news delivered twice a week via email or text message, sign up to receive our free enewsletter.

| MOST POPULAR |

  • Archdiocese of Baltimore files new proposed plan for Chapter 11 reorganization
  • Archbishop Lori ordains 12 transitional deacons
  • Parish scarred by clergy abuse creates memorial for survivors
  • Catholic high school students experience professions firsthand
  • Archdiocese of Baltimore names teachers of the year

| Latest Local News |

Loyola receives $500,000 grant for York Road trust-building initiative 

Sacred Heart 6th grader wins Archdiocese of Baltimore Catholic Schools Spelling Bee

Catholic high school students experience professions firsthand

Archbishop Lori ordains 12 transitional deacons

Radio Interview: Saying yes to God’s plan

| Latest World News |

What exactly is an encyclical?

Border bishops have ‘grave concerns’ about $72 billion immigration enforcement funding package

The liturgy sustains the faithful, renewing them in their faith, mission, pope says

Pope Leo XIV urges confirmation candidates to ask Holy Spirit for gift of perseverance

Vance ‘looking forward to reading’ Pope Leo’s AI encyclical

| Catholic Review Radio |

Footer

Our Vision

Real Life. Real Faith. 

Catholic Review Media communicates the Gospel and its impact on people’s lives in the Archdiocese of Baltimore and beyond.

Our Mission

Catholic Review Media provides intergenerational communications that inform, teach, inspire and engage Catholics and all of good will in the mission of Christ through diverse forms of media.

Contact

Catholic Review
320 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
443-524-3150
mail@CatholicReview.org

 

Social Media

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent

  • What exactly is an encyclical?
  • Loyola receives $500,000 grant for York Road trust-building initiative 
  • Border bishops have ‘grave concerns’ about $72 billion immigration enforcement funding package
  • Home viewing roundup: What’s available to stream and what’s on horizon
  • The liturgy sustains the faithful, renewing them in their faith, mission, pope says
  • Pope Leo XIV urges confirmation candidates to ask Holy Spirit for gift of perseverance
  • Sacred Heart 6th grader wins Archdiocese of Baltimore Catholic Schools Spelling Bee
  • Vance ‘looking forward to reading’ Pope Leo’s AI encyclical
  • Lawsuit continues to challenge Biden-era regulation adding abortion to pregnant worker protections

Search

Membership

Catholic Media Assocation

Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association

The Associated Church Press

© 2026 CATHOLIC REVIEW MEDIA, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED