• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
Catholic Review

Catholic Review

Inspiring the Archdiocese of Baltimore

Menu
  • Home
  • News
        • Local News
        • World News
        • Vatican News
        • Obituaries
        • Featured Video
        • En Español
        • Sports News
        • Official Clergy Assignments
        • Schools News
  • Commentary
        • Contributors
          • Question Corner
          • George Weigel
          • Elizabeth Scalia
          • Michael R. Heinlein
          • Effie Caldarola
          • Guest Commentary
        • CR Columnists
          • Archbishop William E. Lori
          • Rita Buettner
          • Christopher Gunty
          • George Matysek Jr.
          • Mark Viviano
          • Father Joseph Breighner
          • Father Collin Poston
          • Robyn Barberry
          • Hanael Bianchi
          • Amen Columns
  • Entertainment
        • Events
        • Movie & Television Reviews
        • Arts & Culture
        • Books
        • Recipes
  • About Us
        • Contact Us
        • Our History
        • Meet Our Staff
        • Photos to own
        • Books/CDs/Prayer Cards
        • CR Media platforms
        • Electronic Edition
  • Advertising
  • Shop
        • Purchase Photos
        • Books/CDs/Prayer Cards
        • Magazine Subscriptions
        • Archdiocesan Directory
  • CR Radio
        • CR Radio
        • Protagonistas de Fe
        • In God’s Image
  • News Tips
  • Subscribe
Clerical sex abuse survivors and their supporters rally outside Castel Sant'Angelo in Rome in this Feb. 21, 2019, file photo. The Vatican wrapped up its investigation and dismissed accusations of negligence by Polish Cardinal Stanislaw Dziwisz in allegedly covering up cases of clergy sex abuse of minors. (CNS photo/Paul Haring)

Vatican clears Polish Cardinal Dziwisz of abuse cover-up allegations

April 22, 2022
By Carol Glatz
Catholic News Service
Filed Under: Feature, News, Vatican, World News

VATICAN CITY (CNS) — The Vatican has wrapped up its own investigation and dismissed allegations that Polish Cardinal Stanislaw Dziwisz had covered up cases of the sexual abuse of minors by clergy in his archdiocese.

In a written statement released April 22, the Apostolic Nunciature in Poland said the Vatican found the cardinal had been “correct” in his actions after it examined the findings of an investigation led by Italian Cardinal Angelo Bagnasco.

Following a request by the Vatican, Cardinal Bagnasco, the retired archbishop of Genoa, was in Poland June 17-26, 2021, “to verify certain cases related to the actions of Cardinal Stanislaw Dziwisz” while he was archbishop of Krakow from 2005 until his retirement in 2016, the statement said.

Polish Cardinal Stanislaw Dziwisz of Krakow, Poland, arrives for a consistory in St. Peter’s Basilica at the Vatican in this June 28, 2018, file photo. (CNS photo/Paul Haring)

“The analysis of the collected documentation made it possible to assess these actions of Cardinal Stanislaw Dziwisz as correct and, therefore, the Holy See decided not to proceed any further,” it said.

In his own written statement released the same day, Cardinal Dziwisz said, “I would like to express my gratitude to all those who have contributed to a responsible response to the allegations made against me” and gratitude to the Vatican “for having judged the case fairly.”

Cardinal Bagnasco “made every effort to clarify the aforementioned allegations, which are undeserved and painful for me,” said the Polish cardinal, who turns 83 April 27.

He said he hoped the announcement from the nunciature would “contribute not only to clarifying the matter but also to restoring peace of mind to all those who have felt affected by the accusations I have faced.”

Cardinal Dziwisz, who served as St. John Paul II’s personal secretary for 39 years before leading the Krakow Archdiocese, was accused in a November 2020 TVN-24 documentary of ignoring abuse complaints after becoming archbishop in 2005.

The cardinal dismissed the claims in a TV interview, citing his four decades of “service to the church, pope and Poland,” but said he counted on a “transparent investigation” and “proper presentation of the facts.”

In a January 2021 statement, the Krakow prosecutor’s office said it had found no “evidence of criminal activity” against Cardinal Dziwisz, since the legal obligation to report abuse allegations to police had only entered into force in 2017. The cardinal retired as archbishop of Krakow in December 2016.

In 2019, the Catholic Church in Poland listed cases of 382 clergy accused of abusing 625 minors in its first report covering the years 1990 to 2018.

A second report, released in June 2021, added allegations made to church authorities between July 1, 2018, and Dec. 31, 2020, listing 292 clergy who allegedly abused more than 300 minors from 1958 through 2020.

Following Pope Francis’ May 2019 motu proprio, “Vos Estis Lux Mundi,” revising and clarifying norms and procedures for holding bishops and religious superiors accountable for protecting abusers, 10 mostly retired bishops have been sanctioned by the Vatican for ignoring abuse complaints in Poland, where allegations of past cover-ups have been surfacing.

In 2013, the bishops’ conference appointed a child protection coordinator and established a foundation for prevention and victim support.

Read More Vatican News

Head of Ukrainian Catholic Church meets with Pope Leo, calls Ukraine ‘wounded but alive’

Pope Leo appoints Vincentian sister as new deputy of Vatican press office

Pope Leo XIV explains why Catholics fast during Lent

Pope supports solidarity with immigrants in U.S.; Catholics must stand together, archbishop says

Cardinal Fernández proposes path of theological dialogue with SSPX toward full communion

Cuban bishops postpone ‘ad limina’ visit amid fuel shortage crisis

Copyright © 2022 Catholic News Service/U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops

Print Print

Primary Sidebar

Carol Glatz

Click here to view all posts from this author

For the latest news delivered twice a week via email or text message, sign up to receive our free enewsletter.

| MOST POPULAR |

  • Carrie Prejean Boller removed from Religious Liberty Commission after antisemitism row

  • Deacon Jack Ames, Project Rachel volunteer and educator, dies at 74

  • Archdiocese of Baltimore couples share stories of love that lasts a lifetime 

  • Movie Review: ‘Crime 101’

  • Religious Liberty Commission tussles over antisemitism as lawsuit challenges its legality

| Latest Local News |

Radio Interview: Archbishop Lori’s pastoral letter: “In Charity and Truth”

St. Carlo Acutis Camping Retreat builds faith in the great outdoors 

Notre Dame Prep develops new commons area

In God’s Image podcast: Taylor Branch

Deacon Jack Ames, Project Rachel volunteer and educator, dies at 74

| Latest World News |

Federal judge orders Catholic group be let into ICE facility on Ash Wednesday

Bishop Zurek resignation accepted; Cardinal DiNardo named as apostolic administrator of Amarillo

‘Operation Metro Surge’ in Minneapolis is ending but needs continue for immigrant families

From discipleship to apostleship: SEEK promises encounter with Christ that continues

Lent’s CRS Lent Rice Bowl collection seen as more critical than ever after USAID cuts

| Catholic Review Radio |

Footer

Our Vision

Real Life. Real Faith. 

Catholic Review Media communicates the Gospel and its impact on people’s lives in the Archdiocese of Baltimore and beyond.

Our Mission

Catholic Review Media provides intergenerational communications that inform, teach, inspire and engage Catholics and all of good will in the mission of Christ through diverse forms of media.

Contact

Catholic Review
320 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
443-524-3150
mail@CatholicReview.org

 

Social Media

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent

  • Radio Interview: Archbishop Lori’s pastoral letter: “In Charity and Truth”
  • Federal judge orders Catholic group be let into ICE facility on Ash Wednesday
  • Bishop Zurek resignation accepted; Cardinal DiNardo named as apostolic administrator of Amarillo
  • Bioethics of the brain: A conversation with a Catholic neurosurgeon
  • ‘Operation Metro Surge’ in Minneapolis is ending but needs continue for immigrant families
  • From discipleship to apostleship: SEEK promises encounter with Christ that continues
  • A season for blooming 
  • St. Carlo Acutis Camping Retreat builds faith in the great outdoors 
  • Lent’s CRS Lent Rice Bowl collection seen as more critical than ever after USAID cuts

Search

Membership

Catholic Media Assocation

Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association

The Associated Church Press

© 2026 CATHOLIC REVIEW MEDIA, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED