• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
Catholic Review

Catholic Review

Inspiring the Archdiocese of Baltimore

Menu
  • Home
  • News
        • Local News
        • World News
        • Vatican News
        • Obituaries
        • Featured Video
        • En Español
        • Sports News
        • Official Clergy Assignments
        • Schools News
  • Commentary
        • Contributors
          • Question Corner
          • George Weigel
          • Elizabeth Scalia
          • Michael R. Heinlein
          • Effie Caldarola
          • Guest Commentary
        • CR Columnists
          • Archbishop William E. Lori
          • Rita Buettner
          • Christopher Gunty
          • George Matysek Jr.
          • Mark Viviano
          • Father Joseph Breighner
          • Father Collin Poston
          • Amen Columns
  • Entertainment
        • Events
        • Movie & Television Reviews
        • Arts & Culture
        • Books
        • Recipes
        • CR for Kids
  • About Us
        • Contact Us
        • Our History
        • Meet Our Staff
        • Photos to own
        • Shop
        • CR Media platforms
        • Electronic Edition
        • Subscribe
  • Advertising
  • Kids
  • Radio/Podcasts
        • Catholic Review Radio
        • Protagonistas de Fe
        • In God’s Image
  • News Tips
  • Subscribe
French Cardinal Jean-Pierre Ricard of Bordeaux is pictured in a 2013 photo at the Vatican. The Vatican will begin an investigation of Cardinal Ricard, who admitted in a public letter that he had abused a 14-year-old girl 35 years ago. (CNS photo/Alessandro Bianchi, Reuters)

Vatican confirms it is opening abuse investigation of French cardinal

November 11, 2022
By Cindy Wooden
Catholic News Service
Filed Under: Feature, News, Vatican, World News

VATICAN CITY (CNS) — The Vatican has decided to open an investigation into French Cardinal Jean-Pierre Ricard, the retired archbishop of Bordeaux, who admitted in a public letter that he had abused a 14-year-old girl 35 years ago.

“As a result of the elements that have emerged in the last few days and the statement made by the cardinal, in order to complete the examination of what happened, it has been decided to initiate an ‘investigatio praevia,'” or preliminary investigation, Matteo Bruni, director of the Vatican press office, said Nov. 11.

Bruni would not say if the decision was made by Pope Francis, although because the case involves a cardinal who is a member of Vatican dicasteries and who, at 78, is still eligible to participate in a conclave, people familiar with the workings of the Vatican assume the pope had to agree.

The person “best suited” to conduct the investigation “with the necessary autonomy, impartiality and experience is now being evaluated, also in view of the fact that the French judicial authorities have an open file on the case,” Bruni said.

The Vatican’s customary practice, he said, would be to wait until the French civil authorities have closed their case to begin any kind of canonical procedure, in which case the Vatican could request documentation from the judicial authorities to use in their process as well.

During the French bishops’ fall meeting in Lourdes Nov. 7, Archbishop Eric de Moulins-Beaufort of Reims, president of the bishops’ conference, read a letter from Cardinal Ricard admitting to the abuse.

Later, the archbishop said he had been informed in February of Cardinal Ricard’s past and that he had been in communication with the victim, who did not want to be identified publicly.

The Marseille public prosecutor’s office also heard of the allegations before Cardinal Ricard’s letter was read; it opened an investigation of Cardinal Ricard on suspected “aggravated sexual assault” in late October.

In his letter, Cardinal Ricard had admitted to engaging in “reprehensible” conduct against the girl when he was a priest, and he said his behavior “has necessarily caused serious and lasting consequences for this person.”

He said he asked the woman for forgiveness and asked for forgiveness from her family. He also said he was going on retreat to pray.

Read More Vatican News

Pope will find a living, growing Church in Madrid, Spanish cardinal says

What exactly is an encyclical?

The liturgy sustains the faithful, renewing them in their faith, mission, pope says

Pope Leo XIV urges confirmation candidates to ask Holy Spirit for gift of perseverance

Vance ‘looking forward to reading’ Pope Leo’s AI encyclical

Pope Leo XIV thanks Catholic Extension Society for supporting poor US dioceses

Copyright © 2022 Catholic News Service/U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops

Print Print

Primary Sidebar

Cindy Wooden

Click here to view all posts from this author

For the latest news delivered twice a week via email or text message, sign up to receive our free enewsletter.

| MOST POPULAR |

  • Archdiocese of Baltimore files new proposed plan for Chapter 11 reorganization
  • Bishop John H. Ricard, first Black bishop of Baltimore and Pensacola-Tallahassee, dies at 86
  • Archbishop Lori ordains 12 transitional deacons
  • Parish scarred by clergy abuse creates memorial for survivors
  • Monsignor Joseph Lizor, oldest priest in Baltimore archdiocese and former Edgemere pastor, dies at 94

| Latest Local News |

Monsignor Joseph Lizor, oldest priest in Baltimore archdiocese and former Edgemere pastor, dies at 94

Bishop John H. Ricard, first Black bishop of Baltimore and Pensacola-Tallahassee, dies at 86

Loyola receives $500,000 grant for York Road trust-building initiative 

Sacred Heart 6th grader wins Archdiocese of Baltimore Catholic Schools Spelling Bee

Catholic high school students experience professions firsthand

| Latest World News |

Pope will find a living, growing Church in Madrid, Spanish cardinal says

As Ebola epidemic spreads, Uganda postpones Martyrs Day celebrations

What exactly is an encyclical?

Border bishops have ‘grave concerns’ about $72 billion immigration enforcement funding package

The liturgy sustains the faithful, renewing them in their faith, mission, pope says

| Catholic Review Radio |

Footer

Our Vision

Real Life. Real Faith. 

Catholic Review Media communicates the Gospel and its impact on people’s lives in the Archdiocese of Baltimore and beyond.

Our Mission

Catholic Review Media provides intergenerational communications that inform, teach, inspire and engage Catholics and all of good will in the mission of Christ through diverse forms of media.

Contact

Catholic Review
320 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
443-524-3150
mail@CatholicReview.org

 

Social Media

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent

  • Monsignor Joseph Lizor, oldest priest in Baltimore archdiocese and former Edgemere pastor, dies at 94
  • Invitation to joy
  • The reality of the abortion pill
  • 1930 Films now in the public domain
  • Pope will find a living, growing Church in Madrid, Spanish cardinal says
  • As Ebola epidemic spreads, Uganda postpones Martyrs Day celebrations
  • Bishop John H. Ricard, first Black bishop of Baltimore and Pensacola-Tallahassee, dies at 86
  • What exactly is an encyclical?
  • Loyola receives $500,000 grant for York Road trust-building initiative 

Search

Membership

Catholic Media Assocation

Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association

The Associated Church Press

© 2026 CATHOLIC REVIEW MEDIA, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED