• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
Catholic Review

Catholic Review

Inspiring the Archdiocese of Baltimore

Menu
  • Home
  • News
        • Local News
        • World News
        • Vatican News
        • Obituaries
        • Featured Video
        • En Español
        • Sports News
        • Official Clergy Assignments
        • Schools News
  • Commentary
        • Contributors
          • Question Corner
          • George Weigel
          • Elizabeth Scalia
          • Michael R. Heinlein
          • Effie Caldarola
          • Guest Commentary
        • CR Columnists
          • Archbishop William E. Lori
          • Rita Buettner
          • Christopher Gunty
          • George Matysek Jr.
          • Mark Viviano
          • Father Joseph Breighner
          • Father Collin Poston
          • Amen Columns
  • Entertainment
        • Events
        • Movie & Television Reviews
        • Arts & Culture
        • Books
        • Recipes
        • CR Kids
  • About Us
        • Contact Us
        • Our History
        • Meet Our Staff
        • Photos to own
        • Shop
        • CR Media platforms
        • Electronic Edition
        • Subscribe
  • Advertising
  • Kids
  • News Tips
  • Radio/Podcasts
        • Catholic Review Radio
        • Protagonistas de Fe
        • In God’s Image
        • “In Charity and Truth” with Archbishop William E. Lori
  • Subscribe
Workers inspect an ossuary at the Teutonic Cemetery at the Vatican in this July 20, 2019, file photo. The ossuary was inspected in the hope of finding the missing remains of a German princess and duchess and possibly the remains of Emanuela Orlandi, who disappeared in 1983. The Vatican prosecutor has opened a new investigation into the disappearance 40 years ago of Orlandi, the 15-year-old daughter of a Vatican employee. (CNS photo/Vatican Media)

Vatican prosecutor opens investigation into Orlandi disappearance

January 10, 2023
By Carol Glatz
Catholic News Service
Filed Under: Feature, Movie & Television Reviews, News, Vatican, World News

VATICAN CITY (CNS) — The disappearance 40 years ago of Emanuela Orlandi has haunted her family, fueled conspiracy theories and provided grist for a recent Netflix series.

Emanuela Orlandi is pictured in a photo that was distributed after her disappearance in 1983. The Vatican prosecutor has opened a new investigation into the disappearance 40 years ago of Orlandi, the 15-year-old daughter of a Vatican employee. (CNS photo)

Matteo Bruni, director of the Vatican press office, said Jan. 9 that Alessandro Diddi, Vatican City’s chief prosecutor, was opening a new file on the case, although he provided no details about the direction the investigation was expected to take.

The Italian news agency ANSA said Diddi’s decision was in response to requests by Pietro Orlandi, Emanuela’s brother.

Vatican investigators will begin by “analyzing the acts and documents related to prior investigations,” of which there have been many, ANSA said.

Pietro Orlandi told the television RaiNews24 that he had received copies of WhatsApp messages exchanged in 2014 by “two persons very close to Pope Francis that talk about documents” related to the case that never have been published. He said he was certain someone in the Vatican knew more about what happened to his sister.

Pietro and Emanuela are the children of a Vatican employee and grew up in an apartment inside the Vatican. Emanuela disappeared in Rome June 22, 1983, when she was 15.

Over the past 40 years, dozens of theories have been advanced to explain what happened to her. Some were related to the attempted assassination of St. John Paul II in 1981 — the idea being she was kidnapped to force the release from prison of the pope’s would-be assassin — to Vatican bank scandals and to organized crime.

In March 2019, the family’s lawyer said the family had been sent a letter with a photo of an angel above a tomb in the Vatican’s Teutonic Cemetery, which is reserved mainly for German-speaking priests and members of religious orders.

The letter said, “Look where the angel is pointing,” according to Laura Sgrò, the lawyer.

She filed a formal petition with the Vatican to investigate the matter and, following her request, the Vatican City State court ordered the opening of two tombs near the angel sculpture.

No human remains were found in either tomb during the search in 2019, so the investigators moved to two nearby ossuaries, which are vaults containing the bones of multiple people. The forensic anthropologist who led the study of the bones said none of them were more recent than the 1800s.

The four-part Netflix series looked at the various theories floated over the past 40 years and added the idea that the disappearance had to do with a high-ranking Vatican cleric, who allegedly had made sexual advances toward the 15-year-old.

Read More Vatican News

Pope Leo XIV offers prayers, financial assistance to disaster-stricken Colombia

Pope Leo XIV urges sisters to foster vocations to religious life in United States

Pope Leo night at White Sox baseball park maxes out stadium capacity

Pope Leo says Sunday is ‘foundation and kernel’ of liturgical year

Vatican announces ‘disarming technology’ will be theme of next World Day of Peace

Security issues show AI needs greater human oversight, say Catholic experts

Copyright © 2023 Catholic News Service/U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops

Print Print

Primary Sidebar

Carol Glatz

Click here to view all posts from this author

For the latest news delivered twice a week via email or text message, sign up to receive our free enewsletter.

| MOST POPULAR |

  • Archbishop William E. Lori announces appointments, including pastor, special ministry and deacons
  • Archdiocese of Baltimore regroups parishes into eight regions
  • Clarksville parishioners named Knights of Columbus International Family of the Year
  • Nearly 1,500 guns collected since 2023 as Archdiocese of Baltimore’s buyback continues to grow
  • Movie Review: ‘Super Troopers 3’

| Latest Local News |

Fire damages building used for youth activities at St. Joseph, Fullerton

Redemptorists’ Baltimore Province will become part of new North American province

Archdiocese of Baltimore regroups parishes into eight regions

Archbishop William E. Lori announces appointments, including pastor, special ministry and deacons

Radio Interview: From addiction to purpose

| Latest World News |

Pope Leo XIV offers prayers, financial assistance to disaster-stricken Colombia

Supreme Court sets date for case over Catholic preschools and Colorado’s ‘universal’ program

Pope Leo XIV urges sisters to foster vocations to religious life in United States

Sainthood cause takes step forward for Rhoda Wise, an Ohio housewife, mystic and stigmatist

Pope Leo night at White Sox baseball park maxes out stadium capacity

| Catholic Review Radio |

Footer

Our Vision

Real Life. Real Faith. 

Catholic Review Media communicates the Gospel and its impact on people’s lives in the Archdiocese of Baltimore and beyond.

Our Mission

Catholic Review Media provides intergenerational communications that inform, teach, inspire and engage Catholics and all of good will in the mission of Christ through diverse forms of media.

Contact

Catholic Review
320 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
443-524-3150
mail@CatholicReview.org

 

Social Media

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent

  • Pope Leo XIV offers prayers, financial assistance to disaster-stricken Colombia
  • Supreme Court sets date for case over Catholic preschools and Colorado’s ‘universal’ program
  • Fire damages building used for youth activities at St. Joseph, Fullerton
  • Redemptorists’ Baltimore Province will become part of new North American province
  • Movie Review: ‘Paw Patrol: The Dino Movie’
  • Pope Leo XIV urges sisters to foster vocations to religious life in United States
  • Sainthood cause takes step forward for Rhoda Wise, an Ohio housewife, mystic and stigmatist
  • Addressing the ‘valleys of despair’ caused by the growing sports betting industry
  • Pope Leo night at White Sox baseball park maxes out stadium capacity

Search

Membership

Catholic Media Assocation

Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association

The Associated Church Press

© 2026 CATHOLIC REVIEW MEDIA, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED