• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
Catholic Review

Catholic Review

Inspiring the Archdiocese of Baltimore

Menu
  • Home
  • News
        • Local News
        • World News
        • Vatican News
        • Obituaries
        • Featured Video
        • En Español
        • Sports News
        • Official Clergy Assignments
        • Schools News
  • Commentary
        • Contributors
          • Question Corner
          • George Weigel
          • Elizabeth Scalia
          • Michael R. Heinlein
          • Effie Caldarola
          • Guest Commentary
        • CR Columnists
          • Archbishop William E. Lori
          • Rita Buettner
          • Christopher Gunty
          • George Matysek Jr.
          • Mark Viviano
          • Father Joseph Breighner
          • Father Collin Poston
          • Amen Columns
  • Entertainment
        • Events
        • Movie & Television Reviews
        • Arts & Culture
        • Books
        • Recipes
        • CR for Kids
  • About Us
        • Contact Us
        • Our History
        • Meet Our Staff
        • Photos to own
        • Shop
        • CR Media platforms
        • Electronic Edition
        • Subscribe
  • Advertising
  • Shop
        • Purchase Photos
        • Books/CDs/Prayer Cards
        • Magazine Subscriptions
        • Archdiocesan Directory
  • Radio/Podcasts
        • Catholic Review Radio
        • Protagonistas de Fe
        • In God’s Image
  • News Tips
  • Subscribe
Pope Leo XIV speaks to the media as he leaves the papal residence in Castel Gandolfo to head back to the Vatican April 7, 2026. Pope Leo issued a sharp rebuke of U.S. President Donald Trump's threat that a “whole civilization will die tonight” if Iran does not make a deal by 8 p.m. EDT that evening. (OSV News photo/Guglielmo Mangiapane, Reuters)

Vatican says report Pentagon officials lectured its ambassador about Pope Leo ‘completely untrue’

April 11, 2026
By Kate Scanlon
OSV News
Filed Under: Conflict in the Middle East, Feature, News, Vatican, World News

WASHINGTON (OSV News) — The Holy See Press Office issued a statement April 10 disputing a report by The Free Press several days earlier that the Vatican’s top diplomat in the U.S. was brought to the Pentagon in January for a “bitter lecture” about comments from Pope Leo XIV that some senior U.S. defense officials perceived as criticism of the Trump administration.

“The narrative offered by some media outlets about this meeting is completely untrue,” the Vatican press office statement said.

It said that Cardinal Christophe Pierre, the former papal ambassador to the U.S., “confirmed” that his Jan. 22 meeting with Eldridge Colby, U.S. undersecretary of war for policy, at the Pentagon “was part of the Papal Representative’s regular mission and provided the opportunity for an exchange of views on matters of mutual interest.”

A day earlier, both the U.S. War Department, a moniker for the Department of Defense, and Vatican Embassy in Washington issued written statements to OSV News disputing The Free Press’s characterization of the meeting between Colby and Cardinal Pierre, who retired from the post in March after turning 80.

According to the April 6 report by The Free Press, “Vatican officials briefed on the meeting, who spoke with The Free Press on the condition of anonymity, described it as a bitter lecture warning that the United States has the military power to do whatever it wants — and that the Church had better take its side.”

The official at the Department of Defense told OSV News that the report’s “characterization of the meeting is highly exaggerated and distorted.”

“The meeting between Pentagon and Vatican officials was a respectful and reasonable discussion,” the official’s statement said. “We have nothing but the highest regard and welcome continued dialogue with the Holy See.”

The Vatican Embassy did not shed light on the tone of the meeting or offer specifics about what was discussed there with U.S. officials, but its statement emphasized such meetings are “a standard practice” and it is “grateful for the opportunities to meet and dialogue with government officials and others in Washington to discuss areas of mutual concern.”

The Free Press reported that after Pope Leo’s Jan. 9 speech to members of the diplomatic corps, Colby summoned Cardinal Pierre, the papal nuncio to the U.S. at that time, to the Pentagon. In the speech, the pontiff had condemned zeal for war and raised alarm that “the principle established after the Second World War, which prohibited nations from using force to violate the borders of others, has been completely undermined.”

The Free Press, an online outlet that recently became a division of CBS News, described the choice of meeting at the Pentagon as likely unprecedented. Its report claimed Vatican officials said the Pentagon officials were “enraged” about a passage of the speech about what some call the “Donroe Doctrine,” or Trump’s argument for American dominance in the Western Hemisphere, his spin on the 19th-century Monroe Doctrine, which sought to reduce European influence in the Americas.

“A diplomacy that promotes dialogue and seeks consensus among all parties is being replaced by a diplomacy based on force, by either individuals or groups of allies,” the pontiff said in his January speech.

According to the report, an unnamed U.S. official even “went so far as to invoke the Avignon Papacy,” a tumultuous period in Church history where popes took up residence in Avignon, France, instead of in Rome, from 1309-1378, due to tremendous military pressure from King Philip IV of France. The king had violently feuded with one of the popes in Rome, leading to Pope Boniface VIII’s untimely death and a new pontiff who agreed to transfer the papacy to Avignon.

In a statement posted on X, the U.S. Embassy to the Holy See said that Brian Burch, the U.S. ambassador to the Holy See, spoke with Cardinal Pierre on April 9 about the January meeting. It said the former nuncio “emphatically denied the media’s portrayal of his meeting” at the Pentagon.

Burch wrote in his own post that Cardinal Pierre told him the characterizations of the January meeting in The Free Press report were “fabrications” that were “just invented.”

“‘It was a frank and cordial meeting that took place two months ago,'” Burch claimed the cardinal said. Asked about threats of “Avignon,” Burch claimed the cardinal said there were “none.”

Prior to releasing the Vatican’s statement on the meeting, Matteo Bruni, director of the Holy See Press Office, acknowledged the report in comments to reporters in Rome April 9, but declined to comment on its accuracy at that time.

Instead, Bruni pointed out that Pope Leo has “never stopped speaking out” on complex current issues, and referenced the pontiff’s words April 7 leaving Castel Gandolfo, when he condemned Trump’s threat to end Iran’s “whole civilization” as “truly unacceptable.”

“The pope’s words are more recent,” he said.

read more conflict in the middle east

Israeli soldiers punished after desecration of Virgin Mary statue in Lebanon

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, Pope Leo XIV discuss Iran war at Vatican meeting

Historic Catholic church in Mozambique destroyed in ‘scene of terror’ by Islamic extremists

Christian sites under attack in Holy Land as violence and displacement intensify

Catholic maritime ministries urge prayer for seafarers trapped amid Hormuz blockade

Pope condemns killings in Iran, speaks on migration, same-sex blessings

Copyright © 2026 OSV News

Print Print

Primary Sidebar

Kate Scanlon

Click here to view all posts from this author

For the latest news delivered twice a week via email or text message, sign up to receive our free enewsletter.

| MOST POPULAR |

  • Archdiocese of Baltimore files new proposed plan for Chapter 11 reorganization
  • Archbishop Lori ordains 12 transitional deacons
  • Pope Leo XIV’s encyclical on artificial intelligence is coming: Here’s what he has said on AI so far
  • Brazilian nun drowns while trying to save fellow sister in Sicily
  • Parish scarred by clergy abuse creates memorial for survivors

| Latest Local News |

Catholic high school students experience professions firsthand

Archbishop Lori ordains 12 transitional deacons

Radio Interview: Saying yes to God’s plan

Archdiocese of Baltimore names teachers of the year

Archbishop Lori recognized with new award

| Latest World News |

Vance ‘looking forward to reading’ Pope Leo’s AI encyclical

Lawsuit continues to challenge Biden-era regulation adding abortion to pregnant worker protections

Archbishop Broglio highlights faith, service at annual memorial Mass for Catholic war dead

Parish scarred by clergy abuse creates memorial for survivors

Global executions surge to highest recorded figure in 44 years, Amnesty International report says

| Catholic Review Radio |

Footer

Our Vision

Real Life. Real Faith. 

Catholic Review Media communicates the Gospel and its impact on people’s lives in the Archdiocese of Baltimore and beyond.

Our Mission

Catholic Review Media provides intergenerational communications that inform, teach, inspire and engage Catholics and all of good will in the mission of Christ through diverse forms of media.

Contact

Catholic Review
320 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
443-524-3150
mail@CatholicReview.org

 

Social Media

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent

  • Vance ‘looking forward to reading’ Pope Leo’s AI encyclical
  • Lawsuit continues to challenge Biden-era regulation adding abortion to pregnant worker protections
  • Archbishop Broglio highlights faith, service at annual memorial Mass for Catholic war dead
  • Catholic high school students experience professions firsthand
  • Global executions surge to highest recorded figure in 44 years, Amnesty International report says
  • Parish scarred by clergy abuse creates memorial for survivors
  • AI cannot replace humanity, conscience, truth, Irish archbishop says
  • I’m OK, you’re OK…well we’re mostly OK (on springtime transitions)
  • Pope Leo XIV thanks Catholic Extension Society for supporting poor US dioceses

Search

Membership

Catholic Media Assocation

Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association

The Associated Church Press

© 2026 CATHOLIC REVIEW MEDIA, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED