• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
Catholic Review

Catholic Review

Inspiring the Archdiocese of Baltimore

Menu
  • Home
  • News
        • Local News
        • World News
        • Vatican News
        • Obituaries
        • Featured Video
        • En Español
        • Sports News
        • Official Clergy Assignments
        • Schools News
  • Commentary
        • Contributors
          • Question Corner
          • George Weigel
          • Elizabeth Scalia
          • Michael R. Heinlein
          • Effie Caldarola
          • Guest Commentary
        • CR Columnists
          • Archbishop William E. Lori
          • Rita Buettner
          • Christopher Gunty
          • George Matysek Jr.
          • Mark Viviano
          • Father Joseph Breighner
          • Father Collin Poston
          • Amen Columns
  • Entertainment
        • Events
        • Movie & Television Reviews
        • Arts & Culture
        • Books
        • Recipes
        • CR Kids
  • About Us
        • Contact Us
        • Our History
        • Meet Our Staff
        • Photos to own
        • Shop
        • CR Media platforms
        • Electronic Edition
        • Subscribe
  • Advertising
  • Kids
  • News Tips
  • Radio/Podcasts
        • Catholic Review Radio
        • Protagonistas de Fe
        • In God’s Image
        • “In Charity and Truth” with Archbishop William E. Lori
  • Subscribe
Archbishop William E. Lori speaks in favor of increased federal funding for religious sites at a Jan. 13 news conference. The archbishop was joined by Rudwan Abu-rumman, president of the Anne Arundel County Muslim Council, Nathan Diament, director of public policy for the Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations of America, the Rev. Alvin Gwynn, Baltimore City Councilman Isaac "Yitzy" Schleifer, Rabbi Elissa Sachs-Kohen of Baltimore Hebrew Congregation, Sen. Christopher Van Hollen and Sen. Benjamin Cardin. (Tim Swift/CR Staff)

Archbishop Lori urges more security funding for religious sites

January 13, 2020
By Tim Swift
Filed Under: Archbishop's Ministry, Feature, Local News, News

PIKESVILLE — Sens. Benjamin Cardin and Christopher Van Hollen, both Maryland Democrats, joined Archbishop William E. Lori and other local faith leaders to call for increased federal funding to strengthen security at religious sites amid a recent rise in anti-Semitic attacks.

“We are deeply disturbed by the recent apparent rise in anti-Semitism, in particular, the violent attacks that took place last year during the Hanukkah celebration in New York and on the kosher market in Jersey City,” Archbishop Lori said at Jan. 13 news conference outside the Baltimore Hebrew Congregation in Pikesville. “I commend our Senate leaders for calling us together today to condemn these acts, but also to take concrete and necessary measures to do everything we can to protect the rights of all people.”

The senators are proposing to quadruple funding in next year’s federal budget for the Nonprofit Security Grant Program, which provides assistance to religious and other nonprofit institutions that are potential targets for terrorist attacks. They were joined by Rep. John Sarbanes, a Maryland Democrat.

Stressing the need for the increase, Van Hollen said the FBI has reported anti-Semitic attacks rose 35 percent between 2014 and 2018. Speakers also cited attacks on mosques and Christian churches, including recent mass shootings in Texas.

If the proposal is successful, the program would provide an additional $360 million in security assistance each year.

“Religious institutions are targets. Europe’s known this for a long time and their governments have participated in making these facilities safe for people to be able to attend,” Cardin said. “We now recognize in the United States that we are similarly vulnerable with religious institutions being targets for terrorism.”

Howard Libit, president of the Baltimore Jewish Council, said the federal funds are greatly needed amid the threat posed by the rise in anti-Semitism. Libit said many members of Jewish congregations have had to give more to their synagogues to offset the increased security costs.

Rabbi Shmuel Silber of Suburban Orthodox Toras Chaim Congregation said he was saddened by the recent spate of anti-Semitic attacks, but he was hopeful in light of the support of the government and other faiths.

“We are emboldened and we will continue to shepherd our respective communities in our faith traditions and never bow to hate and bigotry,” Silber said.

Last year, Maryland institutions received more than $3 million under the program. The fund supported Baltimore Hebrew Congregation, Suburban Orthodox Toras Chaim, the Islamic Society of Annapolis and St. John Regional Catholic School in Frederick.

Sheila Evers, director of advancement for St. John Regional, said the school received $100,000 to upgrade its security, including adding magnetic locks, new lighting and a perimeter fence. Evers said the funds helped implement the recommendations of threat assessment conducted by the Department of Homeland Security and the Frederick Police Department.

Both Cardin and Van Hollen praised Archbishop Lori’s efforts at forging stronger bonds among the interfaith community in recent years.

“He’s been an incredible leader on bringing us all together, all the faith communities together,” Cardin said.

Archbishop Lori said he would work with his colleagues at the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops to ensure that the bipartisan grant program, which began in the wake of the Sept. 11 attacks, continues to grow.

“The concrete steps we support here are vitally important, but we also continue to put our faith in the simple act of coming together, standing side by side, to demonstrate that love will always be a greater power than evil,” Archbishop Lori said.

Email Tim Swift at tswift@CatholicReview.org

Print Print

Primary Sidebar

Tim Swift

Click here to view all posts from this author

For the latest news delivered twice a week via email or text message, sign up to receive our free enewsletter.

| MOST POPULAR |

  • Archbishop William E. Lori announces appointments, including pastor, special ministry and deacons
  • Archdiocese of Baltimore regroups parishes into eight regions
  • Clarksville parishioners named Knights of Columbus International Family of the Year
  • Nearly 1,500 guns collected since 2023 as Archdiocese of Baltimore’s buyback continues to grow
  • Movie Review: ‘Super Troopers 3’

| Latest Local News |

Fire damages building used for youth activities at St. Joseph, Fullerton

Redemptorists’ Baltimore Province will become part of new North American province

Archdiocese of Baltimore regroups parishes into eight regions

Archbishop William E. Lori announces appointments, including pastor, special ministry and deacons

Radio Interview: From addiction to purpose

| Latest World News |

Pope Leo XIV urges sisters to foster vocations to religious life in United States

Sainthood cause takes step forward for Rhoda Wise, an Ohio housewife, mystic and stigmatist

Pope Leo night at White Sox baseball park maxes out stadium capacity

Hong Kong’s Father Benedict Chao, world’s oldest Trappist monk, dead at 108

Latin America: Bishops express solidarity with Colombia as death toll surpasses 250

| Catholic Review Radio |

Footer

Our Vision

Real Life. Real Faith. 

Catholic Review Media communicates the Gospel and its impact on people’s lives in the Archdiocese of Baltimore and beyond.

Our Mission

Catholic Review Media provides intergenerational communications that inform, teach, inspire and engage Catholics and all of good will in the mission of Christ through diverse forms of media.

Contact

Catholic Review
320 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
443-524-3150
mail@CatholicReview.org

 

Social Media

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent

  • Fire damages building used for youth activities at St. Joseph, Fullerton
  • Redemptorists’ Baltimore Province will become part of new North American province
  • Movie Review: ‘Paw Patrol: The Dino Movie’
  • Pope Leo XIV urges sisters to foster vocations to religious life in United States
  • Sainthood cause takes step forward for Rhoda Wise, an Ohio housewife, mystic and stigmatist
  • Addressing the ‘valleys of despair’ caused by the growing sports betting industry
  • Pope Leo night at White Sox baseball park maxes out stadium capacity
  • Hong Kong’s Father Benedict Chao, world’s oldest Trappist monk, dead at 108
  • Latin America: Bishops express solidarity with Colombia as death toll surpasses 250

Search

Membership

Catholic Media Assocation

Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association

The Associated Church Press

© 2026 CATHOLIC REVIEW MEDIA, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED