• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
Catholic Review

Catholic Review

Inspiring the Archdiocese of Baltimore

Menu
  • Home
  • News
        • Local News
        • World News
        • Vatican News
        • Obituaries
        • Featured Video
        • En Español
        • Sports News
        • Official Clergy Assignments
        • Schools News
  • Commentary
        • Contributors
          • Question Corner
          • George Weigel
          • Elizabeth Scalia
          • Michael R. Heinlein
          • Effie Caldarola
          • Guest Commentary
        • CR Columnists
          • Archbishop William E. Lori
          • Rita Buettner
          • Christopher Gunty
          • George Matysek Jr.
          • Mark Viviano
          • Father Joseph Breighner
          • Father Collin Poston
          • Amen Columns
  • Entertainment
        • Events
        • Movie & Television Reviews
        • Arts & Culture
        • Books
        • Recipes
        • CR Kids
  • About Us
        • Contact Us
        • Our History
        • Meet Our Staff
        • Photos to own
        • Shop
        • CR Media platforms
        • Electronic Edition
        • Subscribe
  • Advertising
  • Kids
  • News Tips
  • Radio/Podcasts
        • Catholic Review Radio
        • Protagonistas de Fe
        • In God’s Image
        • “In Charity and Truth” with Archbishop William E. Lori
  • Subscribe
Bishop Robert W. Marshall Jr. of Alexandria, La., is pictured in an undated file photo. The Diocese of Alexandria filed for Chapter 11 reorganization Oct. 31 to address dozens of abuse claims, the total number of which may rise under that state's extended "lookback law," the diocese said. (OSV News photo/courtesy Catholic Diocese of Memphis)

Diocese of Alexandria, La., files for bankruptcy to address abuse claims filed under lookback law

November 4, 2025
By Gina Christian
OSV News
Filed Under: Child & Youth Protection, News, World News

The Diocese of Alexandria, La., has filed for bankruptcy to address dozens of abuse claims, the total number of which may rise under that state’s extended “lookback law.”

One of the U.S. Catholic Church’s “home mission dioceses,” Alexandria filed for Chapter 11 reorganization Oct. 31, stating on its website that so far 85 claims have emerged in the wake of Louisiana’s legislative window to file abuse lawsuits, regardless of when the abuse occurred.

As a “mission” diocese — one which receives sustained aid, including funds from an annual collection taken up by the U.S. Catholic bishops, in order to provide basic pastoral services — Alexandria’s “resources are scarce,” said Bishop Robert W. Marshall Jr. in an Oct. 31 message to the faithful posted to the diocesan website.

The diocese noted on its bankruptcy information page that the number of claims is expected to rise.

Louisiana’s 2021 lookback law, which was set to expire in June 2024, was initially overturned and then reaffirmed by the Louisiana Supreme Court, with the state’s Legislature also passing a law to extend the window to 2027.

“We are at this moment for one reason: some priests sexually abused minors,” Bishop Robert W. Marshall Jr. wrote in his Oct. 31 letter.

“For that, I feel deeply ashamed,” he wrote. “As your bishop, I apologize to abuse survivors for the harm, pain and suffering they experienced and continue to experience in their lives.”

He added, “I also want to apologize to all the faithful priests, deacons, religious and laity whose ministry may have a shadow cast upon them by this next step in the process.”

The diocese stated on its website that “more than half” of the claims it now faces “involve allegations from the 1970s or earlier,” and that “nearly all the claims which include the name of the alleged perpetrator are allegations against individuals who are dead.”

Bishop Marshall said that filing for bankruptcy, which he described as “not an easy decision,” will allow the diocese to “as fairly as we can … compensate those who have been harmed” while carrying on “the essential ministries of the diocese” to serve parishes, parishioners and “others who rely upon the Church for assistance.”

He noted that “this bankruptcy applies only to the diocese itself,” since the diocese’s “parishes and other Catholic entities are separately incorporated under state law and are not affected by this filing.”

On its bankruptcy information page, the diocese said that any proceeds from parish property consolidation and sales will “remain with the parish to be used for the needs of its people,” and that “no funds will be given to the Diocese.”

The diocese also said it “believes it can contribute $4 million to a Plan Trust that will be used to compensate abuse survivors.”

In addition, the diocese noted that it has “limited insurance coverage remaining from previous decades when the abuse in the claims was alleged to have occurred.”

However, said the diocese, “a significant number of claims fall in periods where there is no insurance available,” and that while “any applicable insurance will be utilized,” the monies “will not be sufficient to satisfy the expected number of claimants.”

At the same time, the diocese stressed on its information page that “contributions to specific appeals or funds … are restricted funds that can only be used for the specific purpose for which they were collected,” and will not be tapped “to resolve debts or claims.”

The diocese estimated the bankruptcy proceedings to cost between “$1-2 million,” an amount “significantly lower than most other Chapter 11 proceedings involving Dioceses and Archdioceses in the United States.”

The Archdiocese of New Orleans, which has edged closer to a settlement in its long-running bankruptcy case, confirmed to OSV News Nov. 3 that its legal fees for Chapter 11 proceedings currently total some $50 million.

OSV News has found that from 2004 to 2024, U.S. Catholic dioceses collectively paid a total of more than $5 billion to settle abuse claims.

The Diocese of Alexandria admitted on its website that “bankruptcy is a lengthy and costly process,” and “even though this case is not complicated, the entire proceeding could
last 18-24 months.”

In his letter to the faithful, Bishop Marshall said, “Our hope is that the diocese can reach a global settlement with those who have claims in the very near future.

“We have already been in negotiations for some months with a group of lawyers whom we understand represents the vast majority of currently known abuse survivors,” he wrote. “If we can reach an agreement toward the beginning of the case, we would be able to avoid the lengthy delays and unnecessary professional fees that would otherwise result.”

Bishop Marshall pledged transparency throughout the bankruptcy proceedings, directing the faithful to visit the diocesan website, diocesealex.org, for updates.

He said the diocesan pastoral plan, “Together as One Church,” would continue amid the proceedings, with the diocese clarifying that the plan had been “initiated in response to the needs” of current and future parishioners.

“We can no longer ignore current trends, such as declining Mass attendance and number of baptisms, or financially sustain our present number of parishes,” said the diocese on its bankruptcy information page.

In a separate video message to the faithful embedded on the diocesan website, Bishop Marshall urged a reliance on faith and mutual support amid the bankruptcy process.

“With all of its human failings, the Catholic Church continues to be one of the world’s great forces for good, thanks to the ever-present guidance of the Holy Spirit and the everyday goodness of its faithful people,” he said. “As a church, we bear the shame of this scandal, but if we lean on each other and together rely on Jesus Christ, as a church, we will be renewed, and together bear much fruit for the kingdom of God.”

Read More Child & Youth Protection

Deacon Goedeke suspended from ministry and employment following arrest

Pope Leo XIV approves new statutes for child protection commission

US bishops approve updates to landmark child protection policies

Maryland Supreme Court rebukes state, prohibits naming uncharged individuals in AG report

New national garden promises healing for abuse survivors and all Catholics

‘With all my heart I want to say how sorry we are,’ says Albany bishop as abuse settlement reached

Copyright © 2025 OSV News

Print Print

Primary Sidebar

Gina Christian

Click here to view all posts from this author

For the latest news delivered twice a week via email or text message, sign up to receive our free enewsletter.

| MOST POPULAR |

  • New associate eastern vicar appointed to succeed Monsignor O’Connor
  • Josephites elect new superior general
  • Hispanic leaders learn to build a stronger ministry together
  • San Antonio priest laicized, excommunicated after calling Popes Francis and Leo ‘usurpers’
  • Sacred music must be ‘dignified,’ reflecting the mystery being celebrated, pope says

| Latest Local News |

New associate eastern vicar appointed to succeed Monsignor O’Connor

Josephites elect new superior general

Hispanic leaders learn to build a stronger ministry together

Radio Interview: An American Martyr – The Legacy of Blessed Stanley Rother

Values, service highlight nursing career spanning 59 years

| Latest World News |

Conversion of heart needed to end wars, heal Earth, pope says

Colombia: Bogotá archdiocese launches ‘spiritual first aid’ mission to quake-hit cities

Come to the Water: Eucharist boat procession along the Bayou Teche celebrates faith, history

Ahead of beatification, the women behind Archbishop Sheen’s missionary work remember hidden labor

Why some Catholic schools are going low-tech in the age of AI

| Catholic Review Radio |

Footer

Our Vision

Real Life. Real Faith. 

Catholic Review Media communicates the Gospel and its impact on people’s lives in the Archdiocese of Baltimore and beyond.

Our Mission

Catholic Review Media provides intergenerational communications that inform, teach, inspire and engage Catholics and all of good will in the mission of Christ through diverse forms of media.

Contact

Catholic Review
320 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
443-524-3150
mail@CatholicReview.org

 

Social Media

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent

  • Conversion of heart needed to end wars, heal Earth, pope says
  • New associate eastern vicar appointed to succeed Monsignor O’Connor
  • Colombia: Bogotá archdiocese launches ‘spiritual first aid’ mission to quake-hit cities
  • Come to the Water: Eucharist boat procession along the Bayou Teche celebrates faith, history
  • Movie Review: ‘Insidious: Out of the Further’
  • Josephites elect new superior general
  • A blessing on the road
  • Ahead of beatification, the women behind Archbishop Sheen’s missionary work remember hidden labor
  • The abnormal abortion

Search

Membership

Catholic Media Assocation

Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association

The Associated Church Press

© 2026 CATHOLIC REVIEW MEDIA, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED