• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
Catholic Review

Catholic Review

Inspiring the Archdiocese of Baltimore

Menu
  • Home
  • News
        • Local News
        • World News
        • Vatican News
        • Obituaries
        • Featured Video
        • En Español
        • Sports News
        • Official Clergy Assignments
        • Schools News
  • Commentary
        • Contributors
          • Question Corner
          • George Weigel
          • Elizabeth Scalia
          • Michael R. Heinlein
          • Effie Caldarola
          • Guest Commentary
        • CR Columnists
          • Archbishop William E. Lori
          • Rita Buettner
          • Christopher Gunty
          • George Matysek Jr.
          • Mark Viviano
          • Father Joseph Breighner
          • Father Collin Poston
          • Robyn Barberry
          • Hanael Bianchi
          • Amen Columns
  • Entertainment
        • Events
        • Movie & Television Reviews
        • Arts & Culture
        • Books
        • Recipes
  • About Us
        • Contact Us
        • Our History
        • Meet Our Staff
        • Photos to own
        • Books/CDs/Prayer Cards
        • CR Media platforms
        • Electronic Edition
  • Advertising
  • Shop
        • Purchase Photos
        • Books/CDs/Prayer Cards
        • Magazine Subscriptions
        • Archdiocesan Directory
  • CR Radio
        • CR Radio
        • Protagonistas de Fe
        • In God’s Image
  • News Tips
  • Subscribe
People gather Oct. 28, 2025, in Khan Younis in southern Gaza Strip during the search for the bodies of deceased hostages, kidnapped by Hamas during the Oct. 7, 2023, attack on Israel, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas. (OSV News photo/Haseeb Alwazeer, Reuters)

Gaza ceasefire tested as Israel and Hamas each say the other violated agreement

October 29, 2025
By Kate Scanlon
OSV News
Filed Under: Conflict in the Middle East, News, World News

WASHINGTON (OSV News) — President Donald Trump’s ceasefire agreement in Gaza was tested Oct. 28 as Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu ordered the Israeli military to conduct strikes in Gaza as his government alleged Hamas violated a White House-backed ceasefire agreement by firing on Israeli forces and failing to return the remains of deceased hostages.

Israeli officials said Hamas had attacked Israeli forces in Rafah, in southern Gaza. Strikes in Gaza were carried out in response.

“This is a clear violation of the agreement by the terrorist organization Hamas,” Netanyahu’s office said in a statement.

Hamas denied involvement in the attack on Israeli forces, but was also accused of deception in the return of the remains of another Israeli hostage. But Israel said forensic tests showed the remains were from another victim whose body was previously recovered.

The International Committee of the Red Cross said in a statement it was “unacceptable that a fake recovery was staged, when so much depends on this agreement being upheld and when so many families are still anxiously awaiting news of their loved ones.”

Mary Ellen O’Connell, a professor at Notre Dame Law School who specializes in international law and conflict resolution, said in comments shared with OSV News, “Israel’s decision to bomb is an unjustified breach of its commitment to the ceasefire. There have been issues but nothing serious enough to justify this violation.”

“Even if Hamas had committed a material breach, return to military force is not a lawful response in the circumstances,” she said. “Countermeasures aimed at Hamas fighters themselves are lawful and effective if proportionate to the wrong.”

It was not yet clear how the strikes would impact Trump’s attempt to broker a peace plan for Gaza. But Vice President JD Vance told reporters on Capitol Hill Oct. 28 that “the ceasefire is holding. That doesn’t mean that there aren’t going to be little skirmishes.”

“We know that Hamas or somebody else within Gaza attacked an IDF soldier,” Vance said. “We expect the Israelis are going to respond — but I think the president’s peace is going to hold.”

O’Connell said that Trump “has the ability to pressure Israel back into compliance and should use it.”

A spokesperson for the Catholic Near East Welfare Association said the group “continues to pray, not only for a just peace, but for the will of all parties to pursue peace.”

Read More Conflict in the Middle East

Holy See will not join Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ for Gaza, Cardinal Parolin says

U.S.-led Board of Peace a ‘colonialist operation,’ Cardinal Pizzaballa says

Pope Leo: Let us raise our voices for peace

Pope evaluating Trump’s invitation to join Board of Peace, Vatican’s secretary of state says

Israel bans dozens of aid groups from Gaza, including Caritas, drawing condemnation

Cardinal Pizzaballa: Gaza’s Christians long to rebuild life after two years of war

Copyright © 2025 OSV News

Print Print

Primary Sidebar

Kate Scanlon

Click here to view all posts from this author

For the latest news delivered twice a week via email or text message, sign up to receive our free enewsletter.

| MOST POPULAR |

  • ‘Unborn children are dying’: Pro-life leaders challenge ICE detention of pregnant women
  • A quick guide to fasting in Lent
  • Movie Review: ‘Wuthering Heights’
  • ‘Remember you are dust’: Why people fill the pew on Ash Wednesday
  • Rhode Island’s Catholic community reeling after deadly shooting during high school hockey game

| Latest Local News |

Jesuit Father Anthony Berret, distinguished English professor, dies at 86

Pallottine Father Peter Sticco, who served at St. Jude Shrine, dies at 84

Pallottine Father Robert J. Nolan, who served at St. Jude’s Shrine, dies at 86

Baltimore chapter of Young Catholic Professionals celebrates successful first year

Mount St. Joseph’s BJ Ranson selected as BCL Player of Year; league unveils new academic honors

| Latest World News |

As France holds day of prayer for people at the end of life, world’s euthanasia numbers soar

Key pro-life group warns lack of action on Hyde, mifepristone may ‘demotivate’ Republican voters

Lawmakers, attorneys general back abortion pill challenge DOJ wants to pause

SSPX rejects Vatican dialogue, plans to consecrate bishops without papal mandate

Pastoral care is finally allowed inside Chicago-area ICE facility — on Ash Wednesday

| Catholic Review Radio |

Footer

Our Vision

Real Life. Real Faith. 

Catholic Review Media communicates the Gospel and its impact on people’s lives in the Archdiocese of Baltimore and beyond.

Our Mission

Catholic Review Media provides intergenerational communications that inform, teach, inspire and engage Catholics and all of good will in the mission of Christ through diverse forms of media.

Contact

Catholic Review
320 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
443-524-3150
mail@CatholicReview.org

 

Social Media

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent

  • As France holds day of prayer for people at the end of life, world’s euthanasia numbers soar
  • Key pro-life group warns lack of action on Hyde, mifepristone may ‘demotivate’ Republican voters
  • Lawmakers, attorneys general back abortion pill challenge DOJ wants to pause
  • A look at the Academy Awards Best Picture Nominees
  • Why should we rejoice in suffering?
  • SSPX rejects Vatican dialogue, plans to consecrate bishops without papal mandate
  • Pastoral care is finally allowed inside Chicago-area ICE facility — on Ash Wednesday
  • Experts dispute White House claims mass deportations improve Americans’ lives
  • From Pompeii to Pavia: Pope Leo XIV to make 6 pastoral visits throughout Italy

Search

Membership

Catholic Media Assocation

Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association

The Associated Church Press

© 2026 CATHOLIC REVIEW MEDIA, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED