Pope sends condolences to victims of two suicide bombings in Iran January 5, 2024By Carol Glatz Catholic News Service Filed Under: Feature, News, Vatican, World News VATICAN CITY (CNS) — Pope Francis expressed his condolences and prayers after two bombings in Kerman, Iran, claimed the lives of 84 people and wounded scores more at a memorial for an assassinated Iranian military officer. In a telegram sent on behalf of the pope Jan. 5, Cardinal Pietro Parolin, Vatican secretary of state, said the pope “was deeply saddened to learn of the loss of life caused by the recent explosions in Kerman.” “He sends the assurance of his prayers for those who have died and for their grieving families” and expressed “his spiritual solidarity with the injured,” the telegram said. The pope also “invokes upon all the people of Iran, the Almighty’s blessing of wisdom and peace,” it said. The Islamic State claimed responsibility for the Jan. 3 attack in southern Iran, saying it was caused by two of its members wearing and detonating explosives. The blasts went off outside a cemetery where thousands had gathered for the anniversary of the assassination of Qasem Soleimani in 2020. Soleimani, whose militia force had fought against the Islamic State in Iraq, had been killed in Iraq in 2020 by a U.S. drone strike. Read More Vatican News Pope Leo XIV prays at Vatican’s Lourdes grotto for the sick on World Day of the Sick In a world of empty words, sacred Scripture offers nourishment, healing, pope says Pope Leo XIV expected to visit Assisi during Year of St. Francis, archbishop says Vatican aid a sign of Pope Leo’s closeness to suffering Ukrainians, papal almoner says Pope expected to visit Australia for 2028 International Eucharistic Congress, bishop says Security strains, political tensions cloud potential papal visit to Cameroon Copyright © 2024 Catholic News Service/U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops Print