• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
Catholic Review

Catholic Review

Inspiring the Archdiocese of Baltimore

Menu
  • Home
  • News
        • Local News
        • World News
        • Vatican News
        • Obituaries
        • Featured Video
        • En Español
        • Sports News
        • Official Clergy Assignments
        • Schools News
  • Commentary
        • Contributors
          • Question Corner
          • George Weigel
          • Elizabeth Scalia
          • Michael R. Heinlein
          • Effie Caldarola
          • Guest Commentary
        • CR Columnists
          • Archbishop William E. Lori
          • Rita Buettner
          • Christopher Gunty
          • George Matysek Jr.
          • Mark Viviano
          • Father Joseph Breighner
          • Father Collin Poston
          • Robyn Barberry
          • Hanael Bianchi
          • Amen Columns
  • Entertainment
        • Events
        • Movie & Television Reviews
        • Arts & Culture
        • Books
        • Recipes
  • About Us
        • Contact Us
        • Our History
        • Meet Our Staff
        • Photos to own
        • Books/CDs/Prayer Cards
        • CR Media platforms
        • Electronic Edition
  • Advertising
  • Shop
        • Purchase Photos
        • Books/CDs/Prayer Cards
        • Magazine Subscriptions
        • Archdiocesan Directory
  • CR Radio
        • CR Radio
        • Protagonistas de Fe
        • In God’s Image
  • News Tips
  • Subscribe
Pope Leo XIV celebrates Mass in St. Peter’s Square at the Vatican for the canonizations of Sts. Pier Giorgio Frassati and Carlo Acutis Sept. 7, 2025. (CNS photo/Lola Gomez)

‘We need to pray a lot,’ pope says after Israeli attack in Qatar

September 9, 2025
By Cindy Wooden
Catholic News Service
Filed Under: Conflict in the Middle East, Feature, News, Vatican, World News

VATICAN CITY (CNS) — The “whole situation” in the Middle East “is very serious,” Pope Leo XIV told reporters after Israel launched an attack on Hamas leaders in Qatar.

“In these moments, there is very serious news of an Israeli attack against some Hamas leaders, but in Qatar,” the pope said Sept. 9. Qatar, in the Persian Gulf, has been trying to mediate an end to the war between Israel and Hamas. The country’s capital is Doha.

“The whole situation is very serious,” the pope told the reporters who were waiting for him as he left Castel Gandolfo to return to the Vatican.

Danny Danon, the Israeli ambassador to the United Nations, posted on X: “The precise strike in Doha targeted senior Hamas leaders who planned the October 7 massacre and celebrated while our citizens were abducted. I commend our security forces for this courageous and precise operation. There is no hiding place for terrorists, and we will continue to pursue them everywhere.”

But António Guterres, U.N. secretary-general, told a news conference in New York, “We are just learning about the Israeli attacks in Qatar, a country that has been playing a very positive role to achieve a ceasefire and the release of all hostages.”

“I condemn this fragrant violation of the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Qatar,” Guterres said.

Pope Leo also told reporters gathered outside the Villa Barberini in Castel Gandolfo that he had just tried to phone Holy Family Parish in Gaza City, the only Latin-rite Catholic Church in Gaza.

“I just tried to call the pastor, but I have no news,” the pope said. Israeli planes dropped leaflets on Gaza City in the morning, warning of a new attack on the city and encouraging civilians to evacuate.

Priests at both the compounds of the Greek Orthodox St. Porphyrius Church and Holy Family Church previously refused to evacuate since they were providing refuge for hundreds of civilians, including the elderly and children, who have nowhere else to go.

Both church compounds have been damaged by Israeli forces — St. Porphyrius in October 2023, and Holy Family in December 2023 and in July of this year. Israel’s military said the strikes were unintentional.

“We need to pray a lot,” Pope Leo said.

Read More Conflict in the Middle East

Holy See will not join Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ for Gaza, Cardinal Parolin says

U.S.-led Board of Peace a ‘colonialist operation,’ Cardinal Pizzaballa says

Pope Leo: Let us raise our voices for peace

Pope evaluating Trump’s invitation to join Board of Peace, Vatican’s secretary of state says

Israel bans dozens of aid groups from Gaza, including Caritas, drawing condemnation

Cardinal Pizzaballa: Gaza’s Christians long to rebuild life after two years of war

Copyright © 2025 Catholic News Service/U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops

Print Print

Primary Sidebar

Cindy Wooden

Click here to view all posts from this author

For the latest news delivered twice a week via email or text message, sign up to receive our free enewsletter.

| MOST POPULAR |

  • ‘Unborn children are dying’: Pro-life leaders challenge ICE detention of pregnant women
  • A quick guide to fasting in Lent
  • Movie Review: ‘Wuthering Heights’
  • ‘Remember you are dust’: Why people fill the pew on Ash Wednesday
  • Rhode Island’s Catholic community reeling after deadly shooting during high school hockey game

| Latest Local News |

Archbishop Lori cancels Rite of Election liturgies in anticipation of winter storm

Lt. Gov. Miller, college leaders seek student feedback on AI at St. Frances Academy forum

Jesuit Father Anthony Berret, distinguished English professor, dies at 86

Pallottine Father Peter Sticco, who served at St. Jude Shrine, dies at 84

Pallottine Father Robert J. Nolan, who served at St. Jude’s Shrine, dies at 86

| Latest World News |

What can the Year of St. Francis do for the world? A lot, say these Franciscans

Artist prays daily for Pope Leo XIV after painting his portrait for U.S. seminary in Rome

As France holds day of prayer for people at the end of life, world’s euthanasia numbers soar

Key pro-life group warns lack of action on Hyde, mifepristone may ‘demotivate’ Republican voters

Lawmakers, attorneys general back abortion pill challenge DOJ wants to pause

| Catholic Review Radio |

Footer

Our Vision

Real Life. Real Faith. 

Catholic Review Media communicates the Gospel and its impact on people’s lives in the Archdiocese of Baltimore and beyond.

Our Mission

Catholic Review Media provides intergenerational communications that inform, teach, inspire and engage Catholics and all of good will in the mission of Christ through diverse forms of media.

Contact

Catholic Review
320 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
443-524-3150
mail@CatholicReview.org

 

Social Media

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent

  • Archbishop Lori cancels Rite of Election liturgies in anticipation of winter storm
  • Caring for creation this Lent
  • Artist prays daily for Pope Leo XIV after painting his portrait for U.S. seminary in Rome
  • What can the Year of St. Francis do for the world? A lot, say these Franciscans
  • Lt. Gov. Miller, college leaders seek student feedback on AI at St. Frances Academy forum
  • As France holds day of prayer for people at the end of life, world’s euthanasia numbers soar
  • Key pro-life group warns lack of action on Hyde, mifepristone may ‘demotivate’ Republican voters
  • Lawmakers, attorneys general back abortion pill challenge DOJ wants to pause
  • A look at the Academy Awards Best Picture Nominees

Search

Membership

Catholic Media Assocation

Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association

The Associated Church Press

© 2026 CATHOLIC REVIEW MEDIA, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED