• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
Catholic Review

Catholic Review

Inspiring the Archdiocese of Baltimore

Menu
  • Home
  • News
        • Local News
        • World News
        • Vatican News
        • Obituaries
        • Featured Video
        • En Español
        • Sports News
        • Official Clergy Assignments
        • Schools News
  • Commentary
        • Contributors
          • Question Corner
          • George Weigel
          • Elizabeth Scalia
          • Michael R. Heinlein
          • Effie Caldarola
          • Guest Commentary
        • CR Columnists
          • Archbishop William E. Lori
          • Rita Buettner
          • Christopher Gunty
          • George Matysek Jr.
          • Mark Viviano
          • Father Joseph Breighner
          • Father Collin Poston
          • Amen Columns
  • Entertainment
        • Events
        • Movie & Television Reviews
        • Arts & Culture
        • Books
        • Recipes
        • CR Kids
  • About Us
        • Contact Us
        • Our History
        • Meet Our Staff
        • Photos to own
        • Shop
        • CR Media platforms
        • Electronic Edition
        • Subscribe
  • Advertising
  • Kids
  • News Tips
  • Radio/Podcasts
        • Catholic Review Radio
        • Protagonistas de Fe
        • In God’s Image
        • “In Charity and Truth” with Archbishop William E. Lori
  • Subscribe
Vestments are seen in this undated photo. On Feb. 17, 2026, the Diocese of Camden, N.J., announced plans to resolve more than 300 abuse claims with a $180 million settlement. Bishop Joseph A. Williams said the funds would be "made available to resolve all claims of abuse upon approval" by the bankruptcy court, which had confirmed the diocese's reorganization plan in 2024. (OSV News photo/Tyler Orsburn, CNS)

Diocese of Camden reaches ‘long overdue’ $180 million abuse settlement

February 18, 2026
By Gina Christian
OSV News
Filed Under: Child & Youth Protection, News, World News

The Diocese of Camden, N.J., has announced plans to resolve more than 300 abuse claims with a $180 million settlement.

“For the survivors of South Jersey, this day is long overdue and represents a milestone in their journey toward restored justice and the healing and recognition they have long sought and deserve,” said Bishop Joseph A. Williams in a Feb. 17 statement to the faithful.

Bishop Williams said the funds would be “made available to resolve all claims of abuse upon approval” by the bankruptcy court.

He noted that the court had confirmed the diocese’s reorganization plan in 2024, which at the time had established a trust funded with $87.5 million from the diocese and affiliated Catholic entities.

The bishop said the plan had been “unanimously” accepted by the official committee representing the survivors, and had also received the “overwhelming support” of both the diocese’s college of consultors — a canonically required advisory body of diocesan priests — and its finance council.

In his letter — which was posted to the diocesan website in both English and Spanish — Bishop Williams said the settlement funds would come from the diocese, its parishes and various insurers.

However, an FAQ sheet posted to the diocesan website stated that the Chapter 11 reorganization — which was filed in 2020 — will not affect diocesan parishes, schools and affiliated entities such as Catholic Charities, since those are “separate legal entities.”

A spokesperson for the Diocese of Camden confirmed in a Feb. 18 email to OSV News that “parishes are contributing to the settlement,” and that the information sheet “was part of the original filing, not the settlement.”

In his letter, Bishop Williams thanked “each one of those survivors,” saying that “without your bravery and persistence, this new day would not have dawned.

“I am profoundly sorry for what you have suffered. It was a grave sin and a devastating betrayal of the trust you placed in the Church that you loved,” said Bishop Williams.

“I cannot remove the scars you carry nor restore the innocence you lost,” he said, “but on behalf of my predecessors and the faithful of Camden I can say clearly and without reservation: We believe you, we are sorry and we are committed to walking a different path going forward with you, God willing, at our side.”

He added that he had been “humbled” by survivors’ trust and their stories, which were “at once heart-breaking and awe-inspiring.”

“You are living witnesses of the truth that where sin abounds grace abounds even more!” Bishop Williams said in his letter. “I believe that as more of the faithful of South Jersey hear your stories, you will become prophets of a stronger and more transparent Church.”

In 2025, Bishop Williams relinquished the diocese’s longstanding objections to New Jersey’s efforts to empanel grand juries to investigate clerical sex abuse allegations in that state.

In his Feb. 17 letter, Bishop Williams also thanked the faithful for their “patience and grace,” and commended the “integrity and perseverance” of clergy, religious, and diocesan and parish staff, including educators.

Noting that the settlement wraps up a “complex and sometimes contentious legal process,” Bishop Williams invited them “to see it as the beginning of a new day which allows our local Church to carry on its mission of making the name of Jesus known and loved in South Jersey with renewed vigor.”

He commended his predecessor, Bishop Dennis J. Sullivan, “who promised to the survivors that he would implement the strongest safe environment policies in the country and who delivered on that promise.”

Read More Child & Youth Protection

Deacon Goedeke suspended from ministry and employment following arrest

Pope Leo XIV approves new statutes for child protection commission

US bishops approve updates to landmark child protection policies

Maryland Supreme Court rebukes state, prohibits naming uncharged individuals in AG report

New national garden promises healing for abuse survivors and all Catholics

‘With all my heart I want to say how sorry we are,’ says Albany bishop as abuse settlement reached

Copyright © 2026 OSV News

Print Print

Primary Sidebar

Gina Christian

Click here to view all posts from this author

For the latest news delivered twice a week via email or text message, sign up to receive our free enewsletter.

| MOST POPULAR |

  • New associate eastern vicar appointed to succeed Monsignor O’Connor
  • Josephites elect new superior general
  • Hispanic leaders learn to build a stronger ministry together
  • San Antonio priest laicized, excommunicated after calling Popes Francis and Leo ‘usurpers’
  • Sacred music must be ‘dignified,’ reflecting the mystery being celebrated, pope says

| Latest Local News |

New associate eastern vicar appointed to succeed Monsignor O’Connor

Josephites elect new superior general

Hispanic leaders learn to build a stronger ministry together

Radio Interview: An American Martyr – The Legacy of Blessed Stanley Rother

Values, service highlight nursing career spanning 59 years

| Latest World News |

Pope Leo meets Lebanese president; Vatican concerned over border deal implementation

‘Prayer is our number one weapon’ against Russian aggression, says papal nuncio to Ukraine

Conversion of heart needed to end wars, heal Earth, pope says

Colombia: Bogotá archdiocese launches ‘spiritual first aid’ mission to quake-hit cities

Come to the Water: Eucharist boat procession along the Bayou Teche celebrates faith, history

| Catholic Review Radio |

Footer

Our Vision

Real Life. Real Faith. 

Catholic Review Media communicates the Gospel and its impact on people’s lives in the Archdiocese of Baltimore and beyond.

Our Mission

Catholic Review Media provides intergenerational communications that inform, teach, inspire and engage Catholics and all of good will in the mission of Christ through diverse forms of media.

Contact

Catholic Review
320 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
443-524-3150
mail@CatholicReview.org

 

Social Media

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent

  • Pope Leo meets Lebanese president; Vatican concerned over border deal implementation
  • ‘Prayer is our number one weapon’ against Russian aggression, says papal nuncio to Ukraine
  • Conversion of heart needed to end wars, heal Earth, pope says
  • New associate eastern vicar appointed to succeed Monsignor O’Connor
  • Colombia: Bogotá archdiocese launches ‘spiritual first aid’ mission to quake-hit cities
  • Come to the Water: Eucharist boat procession along the Bayou Teche celebrates faith, history
  • Movie Review: ‘Insidious: Out of the Further’
  • Josephites elect new superior general
  • A blessing on the road

Search

Membership

Catholic Media Assocation

Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association

The Associated Church Press

© 2026 CATHOLIC REVIEW MEDIA, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED