• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
Catholic Review

Catholic Review

Inspiring the Archdiocese of Baltimore

Menu
  • Home
  • News
        • Local News
        • World News
        • Vatican News
        • Obituaries
        • Featured Video
        • En Español
        • Sports News
        • Official Clergy Assignments
        • Schools News
  • Commentary
        • Contributors
          • Question Corner
          • George Weigel
          • Elizabeth Scalia
          • Michael R. Heinlein
          • Effie Caldarola
          • Guest Commentary
        • CR Columnists
          • Archbishop William E. Lori
          • Rita Buettner
          • Christopher Gunty
          • George Matysek Jr.
          • Mark Viviano
          • Father Joseph Breighner
          • Father Collin Poston
          • Amen Columns
  • Entertainment
        • Events
        • Movie & Television Reviews
        • Arts & Culture
        • Books
        • Recipes
        • CR Kids
  • About Us
        • Contact Us
        • Our History
        • Meet Our Staff
        • Photos to own
        • Shop
        • CR Media platforms
        • Electronic Edition
        • Subscribe
  • Advertising
  • Kids
  • News Tips
  • Radio/Podcasts
        • Catholic Review Radio
        • Protagonistas de Fe
        • In God’s Image
        • “In Charity and Truth” with Archbishop William E. Lori
  • Subscribe
Police secure the scene of a mass shooting May 26, 2021, at a rail yard run by the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority in San Jose, Calif. The Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office reported eight people were killed and others injured. The gunman also was dead. (CNS photo/Peter DaSilva, Reuters)

California bishop prays for victims of another ‘senseless’ shooting

May 27, 2021
By Catholic News Service
Catholic News Service
Filed Under: Feature, News, World News

SAN JOSE, Calif. (CNS) — San Jose Bishop Oscar Cantú urged prayers for the victims and their families after a gunman opened fired the morning of May 26 at a rail yard operated by the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority, or VTA, north of downtown San Jose.

At least eight people were dead and several others injured by the shooter, who was later identified by law enforcement as VTA employee Samuel Cassidy, 57.

“May God comfort their families and loved ones and bring healing,” the bishop tweeted. “Pray also for all the first responders and law enforcement officers. May shock & grief give way to healing and grace, as we work together to protect the innocent and prevent such senseless acts in the future, so that peace may prevail in our hearts and communities.”

Law enforcement officials said seven victims died at the scene and one at Santa Clara Valley Medical Center in San Jose. The gunman also died at the scene.

“This is a horrific day for our city, and it’s a tragic day for the VTA family,” San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo said. “Our heart pains for the families and the co-workers because we know that so many are feeling deeply this loss of their loved ones and their friends.”

NBC-TV Bay Area reported that at about 6:35 a.m., San Jose police received multiple 911 calls about gunfire at the VTA yard, and dozens of San Jose police and Santa Clara County sheriff’s vehicles responded to the scene.

Sheriff’s officials confirmed at about 8:10 a.m. that the shooter was dead, and late in the afternoon confirmed he died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Several law enforcement agencies also went to Cassidy’s home in San Jose to conduct a search. A fire had been set at the home early in the morning, but whether it was set before the shooting was being investigated, according to NBC-TV said. Technicians with the San Jose Police Department’s bomb squad were searching the suspect’s home as well as the VTA building at the rail yard.

There was no information yet on Cassidy’s motive, police said.

Also see

Ahead of beatification, the women behind Archbishop Sheen’s missionary work remember hidden labor

Why some Catholic schools are going low-tech in the age of AI

Sacred music must be ‘dignified,’ reflecting the mystery being celebrated, pope says

Threatened harvest and daily harassment rattle West Bank’s last Christian village

Florida Catholic bishops push back on state AG’s threat to participation in school voucher program

USCCB’s education director reflects on Catholic school landscape as school year begins

Copyright © 2021 Catholic News Service/U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops

Print Print

Primary Sidebar

Catholic News Service

Click here to view all posts from this author

For the latest news delivered twice a week via email or text message, sign up to receive our free enewsletter.

| MOST POPULAR |

  • Fire damages building used for youth activities at St. Joseph, Fullerton
  • Hispanic leaders learn to build a stronger ministry together
  • Pope Leo night at White Sox baseball park maxes out stadium capacity
  • Sainthood cause takes step forward for Rhoda Wise, an Ohio housewife, mystic and stigmatist
  • San Antonio priest laicized, excommunicated after calling Popes Francis and Leo ‘usurpers’

| Latest Local News |

Hispanic leaders learn to build a stronger ministry together

Radio Interview: An American Martyr – The Legacy of Blessed Stanley Rother

Values, service highlight nursing career spanning 59 years

Fire damages building used for youth activities at St. Joseph, Fullerton

Redemptorists’ Baltimore Province will become part of new North American province

| Latest World News |

Ahead of beatification, the women behind Archbishop Sheen’s missionary work remember hidden labor

Why some Catholic schools are going low-tech in the age of AI

Sacred music must be ‘dignified,’ reflecting the mystery being celebrated, pope says

Threatened harvest and daily harassment rattle West Bank’s last Christian village

Florida Catholic bishops push back on state AG’s threat to participation in school voucher program

| Catholic Review Radio |

Footer

Our Vision

Real Life. Real Faith. 

Catholic Review Media communicates the Gospel and its impact on people’s lives in the Archdiocese of Baltimore and beyond.

Our Mission

Catholic Review Media provides intergenerational communications that inform, teach, inspire and engage Catholics and all of good will in the mission of Christ through diverse forms of media.

Contact

Catholic Review
320 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
443-524-3150
mail@CatholicReview.org

 

Social Media

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent

  • Ahead of beatification, the women behind Archbishop Sheen’s missionary work remember hidden labor
  • The abnormal abortion
  • Why some Catholic schools are going low-tech in the age of AI
  • Sacred music must be ‘dignified,’ reflecting the mystery being celebrated, pope says
  • Threatened harvest and daily harassment rattle West Bank’s last Christian village
  • Hispanic leaders learn to build a stronger ministry together
  • Florida Catholic bishops push back on state AG’s threat to participation in school voucher program
  • The day O.J. Brigance testified that every life has value
  • USCCB’s education director reflects on Catholic school landscape as school year begins

Search

Membership

Catholic Media Assocation

Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association

The Associated Church Press

© 2026 CATHOLIC REVIEW MEDIA, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED