At peace vigil, Archbishop Lori condemns threats of ‘obliterating’ a civilization April 12, 2026By George P. Matysek Jr. Catholic Review Filed Under: Archbishop's Ministry, Conflict in the Middle East, Feature, Local News, News Echoing Pope Leo XIV’s repeated calls for an end to the war in the Middle East, Archbishop William E. Lori insisted during an April 11 prayer vigil that peace is more than the absence of conflict.
Pope decries horror, inhumanity that ‘some adults boast of with pride’ April 12, 2026By Carol Glatz Catholic News Service Filed Under: Conflict in the Middle East, Feature, News, Vatican, World News Warning against an increasingly unpredictable and aggressive “delusion of omnipotence” threatening the globe, Pope Leo XIV called on world leaders and individuals to empty their hearts and minds of hatred and violence, and to start serving life.
Vatican says report Pentagon officials lectured its ambassador about Pope Leo ‘completely untrue’ April 11, 2026By Kate Scanlon OSV News Filed Under: Conflict in the Middle East, Feature, News, Vatican, World News The Holy See Press Office issued a statement April 10 disputing a report by The Free Press several days earlier that the Vatican’s top diplomat in the U.S. was brought to the Pentagon in January for a “bitter lecture” about comments from Pope Leo XIV that some senior U.S. defense officials perceived as criticism of the Trump administration.
USCCB chairman calls on Trump to back peace, humanitarian aid for Lebanon after massive strikes April 10, 2026By Gina Christian OSV News Filed Under: Conflict in the Middle East, Feature, News, World News A U.S. bishop is calling for peace and humanitarian aid to Lebanon, where the U.S.-Israel war on Iran has spread with devastating consequences.
Nuncio to Lebanon says war ‘is not the right path,’ calls for ceasefire April 9, 2026By Junno Arocho Esteves OSV News Filed Under: Conflict in the Middle East, Feature, News, World News As the death toll in Lebanon continues to rise following devastating strikes by the Israeli military, the Vatican’s representative in the country said the bombardment “is not the right path.”
Pentagon disputes report senior officials lectured Vatican diplomat about Pope Leo April 9, 2026By Kate Scanlon OSV News Filed Under: Conflict in the Middle East, Feature, News, Vatican, World News The top Vatican diplomat in the U.S. was brought to the Pentagon in January for a “bitter lecture” about comments from Pope Leo XIV that some senior U.S. defense officials perceived as criticism of the Trump administration, The Free Press reported April 6.
Pope Leo praises ceasefire as ‘genuine hope,’ presses for dialogue, peace April 8, 2026By Josephine Peterson Catholic News Service Filed Under: Conflict in the Middle East, Feature, News, Vatican, World News Pope Leo XIV welcomed the newly announced ceasefire in the Middle East as “a sign of genuine hope” after what he described as “hours of extreme tension,” while urging a return to negotiations and calling the faithful to prayer.
Archbishop Lori will celebrate vigil for peace April 8, 2026By Catholic Review Staff Catholic Review Filed Under: Archbishop's Ministry, Conflict in the Middle East, Feature, Local News, News After President Donald Trump issued an ultimatum to Iran earlier this week that threatened a “whole civilization will die” if certain conditions were not met, Archbishop William E. Lori announced he will celebrate a Vigil for Peace at the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen in Homeland April 11 at 6 p.m.
Trump backs down from threat to annihilate Iran condemned by Catholic leaders April 8, 2026By Kate Scanlon OSV News Filed Under: Conflict in the Middle East, Feature, News, War in Iran, World News President Donald Trump on April 7 backed down from his threat to wipe out Iran’s “whole civilization,” citing negotiations with Pakistani mediators.
Pope Leo urges citizens to call on leaders to reject war after ‘unacceptable’ Trump Iran threat April 7, 2026By Kate Scanlon OSV News Filed Under: Conflict in the Middle East, Feature, News, Vatican, War in Iran, World News Pope Leo urges citizens to call on leaders to reject war after ‘unacceptable’ Trump Iran threat
US bishops’ leader rebukes Trump after he threatens Iran’s ‘whole civilization will die tonight’ April 7, 2026By Kate Scanlon OSV News Filed Under: Conflict in the Middle East, Feature, News, World News President Donald Trump threatened a “whole civilization will die tonight” if Iran does not make a deal by 8 p.m. EDT on April 7 — a statement that drew a stark rebuke within hours from the leader of the U.S. Catholic bishops, who invoked Pope Leo XIV’s recent appeals for peace as he called on the president “to step back from the precipice.”
Trump threatens Iran’s ‘whole civilization will die’ amid Pope Leo’s call for peace vigil April 7, 2026By Kate Scanlon OSV News Filed Under: Conflict in the Middle East, News, World News President Donald Trump threatened a “whole civilization will die tonight” if Iran does not make a deal by 8 p.m. EDT on April 7. His comments come as Pope Leo XVI has urgently called for peace and set up a prayer vigil for April 11, the eve of Divine Mercy Sunday.