• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
Catholic Review

Catholic Review

Inspiring the Archdiocese of Baltimore

Menu
  • Home
  • News
        • Local News
        • World News
        • Vatican News
        • Obituaries
        • Featured Video
        • En Español
        • Sports News
        • Official Clergy Assignments
        • Schools News
  • Commentary
        • Contributors
          • Question Corner
          • George Weigel
          • Elizabeth Scalia
          • Michael R. Heinlein
          • Effie Caldarola
          • Guest Commentary
        • CR Columnists
          • Archbishop William E. Lori
          • Rita Buettner
          • Christopher Gunty
          • George Matysek Jr.
          • Mark Viviano
          • Father Joseph Breighner
          • Father Collin Poston
          • Amen Columns
  • Entertainment
        • Events
        • Movie & Television Reviews
        • Arts & Culture
        • Books
        • Recipes
        • CR Kids
  • About Us
        • Contact Us
        • Our History
        • Meet Our Staff
        • Photos to own
        • Shop
        • CR Media platforms
        • Electronic Edition
        • Subscribe
  • Advertising
  • Kids
  • News Tips
  • Radio/Podcasts
        • Catholic Review Radio
        • Protagonistas de Fe
        • In God’s Image
        • “In Charity and Truth” with Archbishop William E. Lori
  • Subscribe
Migrants stand near the border wall after crossing the Rio Grande to turn themselves in to U.S. Border Patrol agents to request asylum in El Paso, Texas, Dec. 19, 2022. This photo is a view from Ciudad Juárez, Mexico. (CNS photo/Jose Luis Gonzalez, Reuters)

Pandemic-era border policy allowed to stay in place for now

December 20, 2022
By Carol Zimmermann
Catholic News Service
Filed Under: Feature, Immigration and Migration, News, Supreme Court, World News

WASHINGTON (CNS) — Chief Justice John Roberts temporarily stopped the Biden administration from ending a pandemic-related border restriction with a one-page order Dec. 19.

It gives the Supreme Court time to consider the emergency request filed by 19 states asking the justices to keep in place what is known as Title 42 of the federal Public Health Services Act.

The Trump administration used the public health measure during the pandemic to allow U.S. border officials to expel migrants quickly without giving them an opportunity to seek asylum in the United States.

A family from Ecuador walks towards Border Patrol officers n Eagle Pass, Texas, Dec. 19, 2022, to seek asylum, as U.S. border cities braced for an influx of asylum-seekers. (CNS photo/Jordan Vonderhaar, Reuters)

Roberts’ administrative stay ensures the policy — which a trial judge had ordered be ended by midnight Dec. 21 — could stay in place while the full court considered it. His order also asked the Biden administration to respond Dec. 20 by 5 p.m. (EST).

The Republican state attorneys general opposing the discontinuation of this policy warned that if the court did not block a federal judge’s order to end the policy it would “cause a crisis of unprecedented proportions at the border.”

The Biden administration had extended the policy last August, but this April they announced plans to end it, saying it was no longer necessary to protect public health.

Migrant advocates, including Catholic church organizations, women religious and Bishop Mark J. Seitz of El Paso, Texas, who is chairman of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops’ migration committee, have strongly supported ending Title 42.

Texas border cities, like El Paso, had been preparing for the surge of new migrants as the pandemic-era policy was scheduled to end.

In mid-December, Dylan Corbett, director of the Hope Border Institute, a Catholic organization helping migrants, said constant changing policies make it hard for organizations like his to plan.

“You have a lot of pent-up pain,” he told The Associated Press, noting that with government policies in disarray, “the majority of the work falls to faith communities to pick up the pieces and deal with the consequences.”

In October, Bishop Seitz issued a statement expressing his disappointment that Title 42 had been expanded to Venezuelans seeking to cross the border.

“Now we must all work harder, especially the faith community, to build a culture of hospitality that respects the dignity of those who migrate, and to continue to press lawmakers and the Biden administration to establish a safe, humane, functioning and rights-respecting system to ensure protection to those in need,” he said.

Title 42 is among other immigration policies brought to the Supreme Court this year. In June, the court ruled that the Biden administration could potentially end  the Trump administration’s “remain in Mexico” policy, which sent those seeking asylum at the U.S.-Mexico border back to Mexico to wait for a hearing in U.S. immigration court.

But the Supreme Court also sent this back to a lower court to determine if the Biden administration’s efforts to end the policy complied with administrative laws. In mid-December, a federal judge in Texas put the administration’s attempts to end this policy on hold.

In late November, the Supreme Court also heard arguments challenging a 2021 policy that prioritizes certain groups of unauthorized immigrants for arrest and deportation. A ruling is expected next June.


Follow Zimmermann on Twitter: @carolmaczim

Read More Immigration & Migration

Trump administration rule change could push asylum applicants directly to deportation proceedings

Haiti’s cardinal and U.S. bishops lead Mass of Solidarity as Haitian immigrants face losing their TPS status

Court battle continues as lawmaker intervenes to save pilgrimage site from Trump seizure

Those targeted by immigration enforcement need ‘chance to be heard,’ says nun detained by ICE

Attacks on human dignity can never be normalized, say 2 US bishops after deadly ICE shootings

Catholics offer prayers, express solidarity over 2 ICE shooting deaths in less than a week

Copyright © 2022 Catholic News Service/U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops

Print Print

Primary Sidebar

Carol Zimmermann

Click here to view all posts from this author

For the latest news delivered twice a week via email or text message, sign up to receive our free enewsletter.

| MOST POPULAR |

  • Archbishop William E. Lori announces appointments, including pastor, special ministry and deacons
  • Archdiocese of Baltimore regroups parishes into eight regions
  • Clarksville parishioners named Knights of Columbus International Family of the Year
  • Deacon Goedeke suspended from ministry and employment following arrest
  • Nearly 1,500 guns collected since 2023 as Archdiocese of Baltimore’s buyback continues to grow

| Latest Local News |

Archdiocese of Baltimore regroups parishes into eight regions

Archbishop William E. Lori announces appointments, including pastor, special ministry and deacons

Radio Interview: From addiction to purpose

Nearly 1,500 guns collected since 2023 as Archdiocese of Baltimore’s buyback continues to grow

Clarksville parishioners named Knights of Columbus International Family of the Year

| Latest World News |

Hong Kong’s Father Benedict Chao, world’s oldest Trappist monk, dead at 108

Latin America: Bishops express solidarity with Colombia as death toll surpasses 250

Pope Leo says Sunday is ‘foundation and kernel’ of liturgical year

Pro-life groups urge follow through from Blanche on policy permitting mifepristone by mail

Vatican announces ‘disarming technology’ will be theme of next World Day of Peace

| Catholic Review Radio |

Footer

Our Vision

Real Life. Real Faith. 

Catholic Review Media communicates the Gospel and its impact on people’s lives in the Archdiocese of Baltimore and beyond.

Our Mission

Catholic Review Media provides intergenerational communications that inform, teach, inspire and engage Catholics and all of good will in the mission of Christ through diverse forms of media.

Contact

Catholic Review
320 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
443-524-3150
mail@CatholicReview.org

 

Social Media

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent

  • Hong Kong’s Father Benedict Chao, world’s oldest Trappist monk, dead at 108
  • Latin America: Bishops express solidarity with Colombia as death toll surpasses 250
  • Pope Leo says Sunday is ‘foundation and kernel’ of liturgical year
  • Pro-life groups urge follow through from Blanche on policy permitting mifepristone by mail
  • Ryan, meet Ryan: A glimpse into record-breaking Ryan Meet-ups
  • Vatican announces ‘disarming technology’ will be theme of next World Day of Peace
  • Archdiocese of Baltimore regroups parishes into eight regions
  • Archbishop William E. Lori announces appointments, including pastor, special ministry and deacons
  • Security issues show AI needs greater human oversight, say Catholic experts

Search

Membership

Catholic Media Assocation

Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association

The Associated Church Press

© 2026 CATHOLIC REVIEW MEDIA, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED