• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
Catholic Review

Catholic Review

Inspiring the Archdiocese of Baltimore

Menu
  • Home
  • News
        • Local News
        • World News
        • Vatican News
        • Obituaries
        • Featured Video
        • En Español
        • Sports News
        • Official Clergy Assignments
        • Schools News
  • Commentary
        • Contributors
          • Question Corner
          • George Weigel
          • Elizabeth Scalia
          • Michael R. Heinlein
          • Effie Caldarola
          • Guest Commentary
        • CR Columnists
          • Archbishop William E. Lori
          • Rita Buettner
          • Christopher Gunty
          • George Matysek Jr.
          • Mark Viviano
          • Father Joseph Breighner
          • Father Collin Poston
          • Amen Columns
  • Entertainment
        • Events
        • Movie & Television Reviews
        • Arts & Culture
        • Books
        • Recipes
        • CR Kids
  • About Us
        • Contact Us
        • Our History
        • Meet Our Staff
        • Photos to own
        • Shop
        • CR Media platforms
        • Electronic Edition
        • Subscribe
  • Advertising
  • Kids
  • News Tips
  • Radio/Podcasts
        • Catholic Review Radio
        • Protagonistas de Fe
        • In God’s Image
        • “In Charity and Truth” with Archbishop William E. Lori
  • Subscribe
U.S. President Donald Trump holds a cabinet meeting at the White House in Washington Aug. 26, 2025. Trump said during the meeting that capital punishment will be sought for all murders in Washington. (OSV News photo/Jonathan Ernst, Reuters)

Trump says his administration will pursue capital punishment for all murders in D.C.

August 26, 2025
By Kate Scanlon
OSV News
Filed Under: News, Respect Life, World News

WASHINGTON (OSV News) — President Donald Trump said at an Aug. 26 Cabinet meeting that capital punishment will be sought for all murders in Washington, D.C.

Trump’s comments came amid his federalization of the police force in the nation’s capital and after he activated the National Guard in what he called an effort to combat crime in Washington.

Police vehicles are parked near the scene of a stabbing and shooting in Washington June 7, 2025. President Donald Trump said at an Aug. 26 Cabinet meeting that capital punishment will be sought for all murders in Washington. (OSV News photo/Gabriel V. Cardenas, Reuters)

“Anybody murders something in the capital: capital punishment,” Trump said at the White House meeting. “Capital: capital punishment. If somebody kills somebody in the capital, Washington, D.C., we’re going to be seeking the death penalty.”

Trump argued the policy was “preventative,” a claim disputed by death penalty opponents.

Among the first actions of his second term earlier this year, Trump signed an executive order directing the U.S. attorney general to “pursue the death penalty for all crimes of a severity demanding its use,” and to “seek the death penalty regardless of other factors for every federal capital crime” that involves the “murder of a law-enforcement officer” or a “capital crime committed by an alien illegally present in this country.”

The Catholic Church’s official magisterium opposes the use of the death penalty as inconsistent with the inherent sanctity of human life, and advocates for the practice’s abolition worldwide.

The late Pope Francis revised the Catechism of the Catholic Church in 2018 to clarify the church’s teaching that capital punishment is morally “inadmissible” in the modern world and that the church works with determination for its abolishment worldwide.

In his 2020 encyclical “Fratelli Tutti,” Pope Francis addressed the moral problem of capital punishment by citing St. John Paul II, writing that his predecessor “stated clearly and firmly that the death penalty is inadequate from a moral standpoint and no longer necessary from that of penal justice.”

About a decade prior to becoming Pope Leo XIV earlier this year, then-Bishop Robert Prevost wrote in a March 5, 2015, post on X, then known as Twitter, “It’s time to end the death penalty.”

Read More Respect Life

The day O.J. Brigance testified that every life has value

Pro-life groups urge follow through from Blanche on policy permitting mifepristone by mail

Clarksville parishioners named Knights of Columbus International Family of the Year

Blanche signals potential restrictions on mifepristone by mail coming from Trump administration

Delores ‘Dee’ Silverman, co-founder of Pregnancy Center North, dies at 85

Court shields women religious from New York assisted suicide law

Copyright © 2025 OSV News

Print Print

Primary Sidebar

Kate Scanlon

Click here to view all posts from this author

For the latest news delivered twice a week via email or text message, sign up to receive our free enewsletter.

| MOST POPULAR |

  • Fire damages building used for youth activities at St. Joseph, Fullerton
  • Pope Leo night at White Sox baseball park maxes out stadium capacity
  • Sainthood cause takes step forward for Rhoda Wise, an Ohio housewife, mystic and stigmatist
  • San Antonio priest laicized, excommunicated after calling Popes Francis and Leo ‘usurpers’
  • Redemptorists’ Baltimore Province will become part of new North American province

| Latest Local News |

Hispanic leaders learn to build a stronger ministry together

Radio Interview: An American Martyr – The Legacy of Blessed Stanley Rother

Values, service highlight nursing career spanning 59 years

Fire damages building used for youth activities at St. Joseph, Fullerton

Redemptorists’ Baltimore Province will become part of new North American province

| Latest World News |

Threatened harvest and daily harassment rattle West Bank’s last Christian village

Florida Catholic bishops push back on state AG’s threat to participation in school voucher program

USCCB’s education director reflects on Catholic school landscape as school year begins

San Antonio priest laicized, excommunicated after calling Popes Francis and Leo ‘usurpers’

Pope offers prayers for Zimbabwe ferry disaster as death toll passes 90

| Catholic Review Radio |

Footer

Our Vision

Real Life. Real Faith. 

Catholic Review Media communicates the Gospel and its impact on people’s lives in the Archdiocese of Baltimore and beyond.

Our Mission

Catholic Review Media provides intergenerational communications that inform, teach, inspire and engage Catholics and all of good will in the mission of Christ through diverse forms of media.

Contact

Catholic Review
320 Cathedral Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
443-524-3150
mail@CatholicReview.org

 

Social Media

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Recent

  • Threatened harvest and daily harassment rattle West Bank’s last Christian village
  • Hispanic leaders learn to build a stronger ministry together
  • Florida Catholic bishops push back on state AG’s threat to participation in school voucher program
  • The day O.J. Brigance testified that every life has value
  • USCCB’s education director reflects on Catholic school landscape as school year begins
  • San Antonio priest laicized, excommunicated after calling Popes Francis and Leo ‘usurpers’
  • Pope offers prayers for Zimbabwe ferry disaster as death toll passes 90
  • Home viewing roundup: What’s available to stream and what’s on the horizon
  • Question Corner: What is the Catholic Church’s current stance on Freemasonry?

Search

Membership

Catholic Media Assocation

Maryland-Delaware-DC Press Association

The Associated Church Press

© 2026 CATHOLIC REVIEW MEDIA, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED